Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Everyday clothes vs Shabbos clothes

giselle

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:45 am
I’ve always understood that a person should have nicer clothing for shabbos than for during the week. For each person that may be different. I have some dresses that I wear when getting dressed up during the week, but they are also perfect for casual shabbos. Especially now when I’m not really going anywhere. Is this a problem? Do I specifically need designated shabbos clothes?

Miri1

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:52 am
I buy with Shabbos or weekday in mind.
It pretty much stays that way.
I don't need to dress up for work, but if I had an important meeting, say at school I might pull out a sweater or shoes from my Shabbos clothing.
But I generally don't have items that go back and forth. Except for basic shells and such.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:23 pm
Anything goes, in my opinion. I see girls wearing clothes to shul that I'd wear to the office. Well, back when we were allowed to go to shul. I'd wear a suit to shul with pearls, but everyone's idea of getting dressed up is different.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:25 pm
I I definitely have dresses that are designated better everyday/casual Shabbos.

giselle

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:28 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Anything goes, in my opinion. I see girls wearing clothes to shul that I'd wear to the office. Well, back when we were allowed to go to shul. I'd wear a suit to shul with pearls, but everyone's idea of getting dressed up is different.

Right that’s my point - if my idea of getting dressed up is more dressy, is it ok to use some weekday dresses that I agree are casual for shabbos when I want to lounge around which is basically all I’m doing on shabbos these days...

weasley

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:36 pm
I prefer more casual clothing so my work clothes are normally sweatshirts, for Shabbos I have nicer clothing but I dont like the Jewish style shabbos stuff I find them too extra.

I do have a bunch of nice clothing that wouldn't be nice enough for shabbos but I just prefer sweatshirts regularly so I keep those for times where I have to wear inbetween clothing such as a bris.

I dont feel bad wearing a weekday maxi dress Friday nights now because that's how I'm comfy and that's my oneg shabbos!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:38 pm
giselle wrote:
Right that’s my point - if my idea of getting dressed up is more dressy, is it ok to use some weekday dresses that I agree are casual for shabbos when I want to lounge around which is basically all I’m doing on shabbos these days...

Chocolatemoose said anything goes but it really depends what each person chooses.
Yes, you're not going to shul, or going out, but it's still Shabbos. If you dress down a little to be around the family, still have something designated.

mommyhood

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:44 pm
I always learned that Shabbos clothing should be designated for Shabbos/simchas only. Whether that’s Halacha or just an eitza tova type of thing would be a question for your Rav.

aliavi

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 1:53 pm
You need to have something special for Shabbos. You could wear the same dress, but wear it with fancy earrings and dressier shoes only on Shabbos which would make the outfit different. I wear some Shabbos/YT items for dates out with DH.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:00 pm
aliavi wrote:
You need to have something special for Shabbos. You could wear the same dress, but wear it with fancy earrings and dressier shoes only on Shabbos which would make the outfit different. I wear some Shabbos/YT items for dates out with DH.

This

behappy2

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:02 pm
The Yated just had a piece on this issue since ppl are home and chilling and wondering if they need to wear shabbos clothes. I learned that you actually need to have clothing designated for shabbos. If you can't it needs to be clean.

silverlining3

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 8:19 pm
It's nice to have designated clothing for shabs, especially these days. U need something to make you feel good and abit more dressy!
Aside of that
Just for something different than what I wear daily, I would get dressed something else for shabs. A comfy top with some shimmer or small glitz and long skirt does it for me.

zaq

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:05 pm
What do you think "Shabbos robes" are for? They're for lounging around on Shabbos while still looking more festive than on a weekday. What matters is not how fancy your clothes are, in the absolute, but that your Shabbos clothes should be separate from and nicer (whatever your definition of 'nice' is) than your weekday wear. For some people, that might mean wearing a skirt instead of jeans or a cotton knit skirt instead of denim, and silver jewelry instead of junk jewelry, while for others it might mean wearing silk instead of cotton and diamonds and platinum instead of semiprecious stones and gold.

Just because Mrs. X wears on weekdays what I wear for Shabbos doesn't mean I have to change my wardrobe to suit (oops--those dratted puns, they crop up when you least expect them).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics