Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Help! Always want to buy things!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:19 pm
I used to only use Instagram to look at friends’ pictures. At this point most of my friends don’t post too often and I’ve started following some businesses and influencers. I really enjoy it for the most part. The problem is that an influencer will post a product (my biggest temptation is clothing), with a quick swipe up link, and I can have it ordered within a few clicks. And this is not very good for my bank account. I know I can unfollow of course. Argh. I really do enjoy going on!

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:28 pm
The economy needs people like you. There are books and articles on how not to get shnookered by ads but you have to program yourself to view ads critically.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:32 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The economy needs people like you. There are books and articles on how not to get shnookered by ads but you have to program yourself to view ads critically.

I knew I was being worthwhile Very Happy

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:34 pm
I found I also got the must have it fever as I saw new products constantly promoted on Instagram. Deleted Instagram. Shopping fever gone. I now shop only with a list of things I need regardless of what’s being marketed.

CiCi

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:35 pm
The biggest cure for my spending appetite was listening to Dave Ramsey.

I'm not into instagram or clothing though but I'm sure his program works for anything you don't need.

Last edited by CiCi on Sun, May 17 2020, 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:35 pm
I also love to buy things. I’m not that into Instagram but I’m always going onto websites and adding a million things to my cart and then every few days I place an order. It’s like a can’t help myself. And really gets my husband upset. I’ll take any advice offered.

Rebetzinmommy

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:37 pm
Easiest yet hardest answer... delete instagram. Trust me you will be happier Wink

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 10:30 pm
Play a game with yourself called "outsmart the advertiser". Look at an ad and think about how it speaks to you. Before Purim, an ad came out for a chocolate shop called Melt. I bought all of my MM for Purim there. The store was chocolate heaven just like the ad promised. I even treated myself to something. I realized, however, that it's one thing to buy from Melt when I needed to give a nice gift and another thing to get the munchies when getting the car fixed at the nearby auto shop. I can't let myself go in there all the time because I have no sales resistance for that stuff.

pizzapie

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 10:36 pm
I have no advice. I have the same problem! And I keep patting myself on the back that I'm supporting small businesses.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 10:52 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I also love to buy things. I’m not that into Instagram but I’m always going onto websites and adding a million things to my cart and then every few days I place an order. It’s like a can’t help myself. And really gets my husband upset. I’ll take any advice offered.

Hehe! I do the same. Only I don't check out.... or the card wont work for tuition, or when the landscaper needs to be paid after a job.....
In any given website I have carts full for hundreds of dollars worth of items....
Especially target and Amazon. Lol!!!!
Now with a growing 12 mo baby boy. Its bliss!
Just ordered a new fun swing with a wheel and a horn, and a lawnmower/noise/bubble machine. CAN'T wait to see his face when he examines and tries out his latest new toys. Ahhhhhh
I call it retail therapy. Laugh

Op, I don't think you like hearing it but probably deleting Instagram is your best bet.
I mostly shop randomly on the laptop at night while siting on the couch. so I put it away downstairs in the office area.... not so convenient to go down at night when im tired. It works!

twizzlers1

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 2:33 am
can you put it in the cart so that you have it and then tell yourself you're going to think about it for at least 48 hours? I have a feeling by that time You might have found something better or changed your mind. At least it won't be a total impulse buy.

seeker

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 3:27 am
twizzlers1 wrote:
can you put it in the cart so that you have it and then tell yourself you're going to think about it for at least 48 hours? I have a feeling by that time You might have found something better or changed your mind. At least it won't be a total impulse buy.

Agree with this as a most practical tip. And if it's a limited time sale, don't worry - put it off for whatever hours the limit is and then you'll miss the deadline and the metzia itch will go away.
You already know that dropping instagram would be a good idea, or at least unfollowing stores.

Ora in town

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 3:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I used to only use Instagram to look at friends’ pictures. At this point most of my friends don’t post too often and I’ve started following some businesses and influencers. I really enjoy it for the most part. The problem is that an influencer will post a product (my biggest temptation is clothing), with a quick swipe up link, and I can have it ordered within a few clicks. And this is not very good for my bank account. I know I can unfollow of course. Argh. I really do enjoy going on!

That's what Instagramm, Facebook and all the social media are for.
That's how they finance themselves: a huge platform for ads to make people buy things they don't need..

so it's better to bingewatch series on netflix or youtube or sdarot tv than to spend time on instagramm or facebook...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media