Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to cleveland without a plan
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 5:52 am
amother wrote:
the problem with this change is that it will ONLY attract lower income people ( I realize it depends how many kids you have etc... so plenty of people who wouldn't qualify for food stamps... will probably still qualify for some discount) to move to the community since it is income based , how is that beneficial for the local economy? May be I'm biased because when we moved according to the new rules we wouldn't qualify for any tuition break. The way it was before it was attractive to people who elsewhere would have had to pay full tuition without any breaks because they earned too much.
I think lots of middle income people would qualify, also, even if your tuition bill is an additional 4,000 - that’s amazing for someone who is coming from Brooklyn and has to fight for a break from 10,000.
(Even low income people contribute to the economy, property tax, tax on products they buy, etc.)

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:01 am
as I said I'm probably personally biased. I agree with everyone contributes to the economy and I shouldn't have been as extremist, I apologize. I just think that the community would benefit from incentives for people with higher incomes to move here as well.

Orchid

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:23 am
amother wrote:
I have a sis in law in Beachwood. She took me for a walk on yom tov and pointed out various houses were friends of herself and her kids live. When we got to a certain point 10 minutes maybe from Green) she said no one Frum is living so far out. I thought it was laughable. Those of us 'in town' have no problem walking 15-20 minutes to shul. There is way more available on the market once you shed the 'I must be on a frum block' mentality. Once you take the plunge, the block will turn. Except you will have paid 200k for your house and those who jump in later will pay 300+.

I would not move to a neighborhood where my kids didn't have neighbors to play with. I need them to be able to knock on each other's doors and invite each other to play ball.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:07 pm
amother wrote:
the problem with this change is that it will ONLY attract lower income people ( I realize it depends how many kids you have etc... so plenty of people who wouldn't qualify for food stamps... will probably still qualify for some discount) to move to the community since it is income based , how is that beneficial for the local economy? May be I'm biased because when we moved according to the new rules we wouldn't qualify for any tuition break. The way it was before it was attractive to people who elsewhere would have had to pay full tuition without any breaks because they earned too much.

It would be up to 400% of the FPL, instead of the 200% at the current rate.
Voucher would be a little higher.
For Catholic schools who charge less, the parents can use the excess money in a college savings account (not relevant to Jewish schools)
And schools could charge more money beyond the cost of the voucher, which they can't now to people who are at 200% or below of the FPL so it would be a huge boon to the schools if it passes (they can still have scholarships, etc but there are people who can pay something and pay nothing currently)

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:17 pm
HY- I know, I know. The new way is 100% better for the school, I'm not arguing with that. We've discussed this offline Wink

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:27 pm
I knew who you were/are -- but wanted to explain for other people so they wouldn't think it's irrelevant to them. Anyway, I have no idea what is happening with this bill, it's been sitting around since last year. Smile

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:36 pm
I'm not really sure why marina is so sure that no money is being plugged into the failing UH-CH school system. As far as I'm concerned there was just major construction to completely revamp the school on cedar and Lee road. To the tune of quite a few dollars. Out of my tax money thank you very much.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:08 am
bump- are the vouchers still working the same way? no... I would not be moving just for the vouchers... and yes, we wont come without a plan...

nchr

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:13 am
Orchid wrote:
I would not move to a neighborhood where my kids didn't have neighbors to play with. I need them to be able to knock on each other's doors and invite each other to play ball.

And I tell my children school is for socializing with non family and Shabbos hometime is for siblings only. So there are benefits to both. I rarely allow my children to play with neighbors.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:19 am
nchr wrote:
And I tell my children school is for socializing with non family and Shabbos hometime is for siblings only. So there are benefits to both. I rarely allow my children to play with neighbors.

I assume your kids are younger.
Not gonna work with preteens and up!

amother
Snow

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I assume your kids are younger.
Not gonna work with preteens and up!

My kids yes, but my siblings are preteens and only assocate with neighbors on the occasional Shabbos. It's not a must, especially if you live far ebough out that it's not like they feel they are being deprived.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Feb 05 2022, 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
bump- are the vouchers still working the same way? no... I would not be moving just for the vouchers... and yes, we wont come without a plan...

There has been significant proposed changes to the program. I don’t know what has passed as law. My suggestion would be to call the school that you would send to as well as Ed choice directly. They can give you more information.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 6:09 pm
There's no guarantee how summer applications will work. Many more people qualify this year.

Next year guidelines and funding isn't settled for next year's applications.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 6:50 pm
Hi I'm a a happy YDT Clvlnd parent.
As far as I know, the school is not accepting any new students for next year.
They said that months ago, before covid19.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 7:39 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Hi I'm a a happy YDT Clvlnd parent.
As far as I know, the school is not accepting any new students for next year.
They said that months ago, before covid19.

I know they were not accepting HAC students for the coming school year but I heard of other ppl that they did accept... Either way if you’re interested in sending to YDT it’s best to contact them directly. And you probably won’t have a problem getting into HAC.

gold21

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 8:14 pm
nchr wrote:

Why not?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:36 pm
YDT boys are supposed to be moving into a much bigger building for the upcoming school year. Not sure if that will still be happening on schedule due to corona. But if so it should really ease the space issues.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 3:58 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I wasn't really commenting on Cleveland's personal politics, as I don't live there Smile. I was commenting on the article that marina posted.

I can't see a downside to vouchers (I'm not talking about our community, I'm talking about the general population). Competition can only be a good thing, and like I mentioned above, the public schools are failing. Pouring more money into the public schools is not going to solve any problems, something fundemental is going to have to shift. I also like the idea of Americans having the choice of using vouchers for religious schools (and I don't mean yeshivas).

The downside to vouchers is having a state funded network of ISIS day schools.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 9:04 pm
Bump
Can anyone give info on south Euclid community? Is it up and coming? Are there kids in the area/ young families?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 9:14 pm
amother Copper wrote:
Bump
Can anyone give info on south Euclid community? Is it up and coming? Are there kids in the area/ young families?

I don't personally know anyone in S. Euclid
I heard there are some young or youngish Chabad families that moved there. Like on or around Belvoir and Verona area...
No one in YDT moved there.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating