Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Sneaking nutritious foods in cookies

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 12:35 am
I’m looking for healthy cookie recipes.
I have a very picky eater and I like to sneak nutritional stuff into cookies and cupcakes because she doesn’t get those nutrients in her diet otherwise.
I’m looking for recipes that include
Ground flax
Ground nuts
Any vegetable or fruit that isn’t noticeable
Any fiber or protein supplements
Bran or wheat germ

Sugar and chocolate chips are fine. I need it to taste yummy so she eats it.
Extra points if it has less wheat flour and more oats or Spelt or anything else

Thanks!!

forgetit

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 12:58 am
Would you try almond or other nut flour? You can't really sneak it, though. It dominates.

cheerios

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:04 am
You can add ground nuts and flax seeds into any chocolate chip cookie recipe and you can use whole wheat (or spelt) flour. I use this recipe:
https://www.levanacooks.com/re.....cipe/
My kids always ask for more. It doesnt taste "healthy".

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 4:57 am
Check iHerb for kosher protein shakes and supplements. You can get amino acid powder that is tasteless.

You're already on the right track by adding wheat germ, flax, etc. Use silan for half of the sugar, or add a few tablespoons of molasses. Costco has toasted hemp seeds for a very good price, and they are very high in protein and vitamins (and very yummy).

Old fashioned oats, spelt, etc. are always good. Don't be afraid to use white flour to bind it all together. You don't want your cookies or muffins to fall apart and crumble. If you want your baked goods to be more moist, add 1/2 cup of pureed carrots, sweet potatoes, or fruit. You can add goat yogurt instead of water or milk for a nice texture.

You can use any recipe you want, and replace half the flour with alternative additives of your choice.

Hazelnut oil is a very healthy alternative to regular cooking oil, and butter is also very healthy. Coconut oil is healthy, but will have a strong flavor.

I've been making what I call "Busy Mama Breakfast Cookies" for years, and my very picky DD always loves them. She even loved them after she found out what I was sneaking into them!

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:33 am
I have a sweet potato brownie and a black bean brownie recipe somewhere. Lmk if interested I can post recipe

dankbar

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:39 am
I've heard people put avocado into cookies, also some people put applesauce instead of oil.

Lizzie4

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 6:42 am
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/.....ites/

DVOM

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 7:13 am
So nice to meet another mom of super picky eaters! 2 of my kids are soooooo picky. Thankfully, the foods they do eat are healthy, but very limited (chicken, eggs, yogurt are the favorites!)

I make chocolate chip pancakes with pumpkin and cottage cheese that my kids like. No real recipe, just add pumpkin and cheese to whole wheat pancake mix.

They like carrot muffins, the ones with baby carrot jars in it.

I've subbed oatbran for half the flour in many recipes very successfully.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking