Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who wore wigs?
Previous  1  2

forgetit

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Actually in the times of Gemara women did not wear wigs outside as head coverings. They only wore them inside the house to cover hair that was grey, or thinning and balding. It was meant to beautify themselves for their husbands. It was never worn outside as a head covering. When the women went out they fully covered the wig with a material head covering.

I am prone to think so, simply because of the images we are shown. What is the source for this, though?
Because IIRC, the gemera does discuss leaving the chatzer with a wig. It may be that it was covered, but it may very well be that not.
PS. I really admire women who don't wear a wig for tznius or minhag or any other reason that helps in their avodas Hashem, but we don't have to rewrite history.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 10:29 am
Rav Chaim Kanievsky was also shown different wigs a year or two ago and he said they were all asur. I saw the video of it. He clearly said if it looks like hair it's forbidden. I would be very clearly quoting Rav Chaim Kanievsky about wigs. What he considers a kosher wig no one would want to wear.
The wigs he was shown that he declared asur were typical shorter less natural looking wigs. Rav Kanievsky doesn't see women and doesn't see the more recent wigs - he would never allow them
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics