Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Easy supper what do you eat

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 8:46 am
Friends constantly tell me I can’t cope etc I just gave the kids cereal and milk /fish sticks /pizza bagels for supper
If you do this -what do you eat?

israelmama

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 8:50 am
I never serve cereal and milk but pizza is a good supper. If we have bagels, I’ll add soup and/or Salad.
For hectic days I try to keep some meals in the freezer that I can just throw in the oven and I usually make a large pot of soup on Sunday for the week.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 8:58 am
I have definitely served pizza bagels and fish sticks for supper. I eat them too! But it always goes along with a salad, and often a soup. Everyone has to have some sort of vegetable before a second portion of the main.
Salads are usually fresh chopped vegetables. Soups I make in bulk and freeze so it doesn’t take long to defrost and serve.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 8:59 am
When the kids were little I use to make a lot more f sheet pan dinners, casseroles, frozen dinners
But it’s hard to make a nice dinner and the kids don’t like it
If they didn’t like it it was either pb&j for them or cereal and milk.

Dd, now married, caters to her kids and makes something different for the 3. So in one night she could make an omelet for one, tuna for the other, and fish sticks for the third.
And then she would make a different dinner for her husband, her, and the baby that is picking at food all the time.
Salad or Soup, protein, starch, veg.
I would fall apart if I had to do this

Now it’s just DHand I
The hardest decision is what to make

sky

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 9:29 am
On baking sheet - chicken cutlets with spices. Brocoli (or any frozen vegetable) Rice or French fries.
Easy to put together. Ready in 30 min.
I freeze thin cutlets individually so I can just pull out and bake.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 12:31 pm
Scrambled eggs. Baked potatoes. Get fancy and cut them in half, score them, and put them in a pan that has a little oil and lots of seasonings and bake at 450 for an hour.
What's wrong with fish sticks and bagels, hot dogs, french fries, etc.?

Another fairly easy supper: grilled chicken in a grill pan, though the cleanup takes a few minutes.

Are they old enough for soups?

busy mommy

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:16 pm
My go to easiest supper is chicken soup! I put in frozen chicken bottoms and turn on high. An hour later it dump in a whole onion a handful of baby carrots and shoin soup. I always keep boxed matza ball mix in the house to add substance. and if I have I throw in a handful of egg noodles very filling and easy

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:19 pm
Not sure the age of your kids but
Pasta, French toast, chicken drumsticks. Can always serve with frozen veggies or fresh. If their old enough for soup you can make a big pot and freeze in serving size portions .

tweety1

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:44 pm
busy mommy wrote:
My go to easiest supper is chicken soup! I put in frozen chicken bottoms and turn on high. An hour later it dump in a whole onion a handful of baby carrots and shoin soup. I always keep boxed matza ball mix in the house to add substance. and if I have I throw in a handful of egg noodles very filling and easy

I've stated doing this once a week. My kids say it's their favorite supper. It's filling, nutritious, and doesn't get any easier. Only thing is I have to remember to put it up early latest by 12. My kids like the flavor much more when I cook it for many hrs on low. My kids love the plain chicken too. It's a win win for me.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 2:26 pm
I do the chicken soup for my 18month old all the time and he loves it.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 2:37 pm
Hot dogs
Frozen fries
Pizza
Homemade falafel
Rice pilaf which comes with spice packet (just bake with water)
Chicken drumsticks! Easy! Just rinse, spice and bake
Macaroni and cheese!! With tomato sauce and spices- yum!!

Cg1576

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 2:51 pm
Kosher.com has a ton of easy 1 pot suppers. Try esty wolbe (@cookingwithtantrums) faked ziti. Its always a hit.
1 pot chicken lomein. I have a recipe if u need, shnitzel -but bake so you arent spending the whole night at the stove.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 2:52 pm
When I get burnt out from cooking I'll do pasta and salad or something that takes minimal effort on my part. Last night we had orzo salad and everyone was happy. I don't allow pickiness and I don't make separate meals. The choice is what I made for dinner or nothing and you have to actually try something (usually ends up being several times because if there is a dislike one way I'll try other ways first. Sometimes just changing the spices/cooking method helps) before you decide you don't like it. I will respect actual dislikes, like I'm the only one who likes olives, everyone else has tried them several ways and still doesn't like so I leave the olives out and add them to my plate if we have something that I think would be nice with olives. Sometimes we'll do pizza if we have, or hot dogs, sometimes my dh will make the pasta or hot dogs or anything else simple that he can cook.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 3:04 pm
Tuna salad sandwich, egg salad sandwich, cold cuts,mashed potatoes and fish in the oven

Ora in town

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 3:57 pm
I don't like cold supper, to me supper is the main meal in the day. I think it is cultural, to a certain extent.
So we always have a real meal for supper.
If I want something easy, I make a quick couscous: just chickpeas (I have cooked chickpeas in the freezer), a few veggies (zucchini, carots, pumpkin, turnip), I just cut them, throw them in the pot, it's finished in 15 min, and I serve pre-cooked couscous (the kind you just have to mix with water) with it...
Also I try to plan in advance, e.g. make a bit more rice at a time, so that I have cooked rice and can make fried rice quickly...
Stir fry with rice or noodles is also fairly quick...
hashed browns with eggs & frozen stringbeans...
Or, what the children like and is very easy: hot dogs... and a salad...

Also I found out that cooking in the oven is really easy. e.g. fried potatoes (in the oven) plus veggies plus salmon... Takes less pans...
Or I cook in a clay pot in the oven: I just throw everything in, rice or potatoes in the bottom, water if needed, then chicken wings, and veggies on top... excellent meal, with all components, no work at all... Just I have to plan in advance, since it takes about 1h to bake in the oven...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics