Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is it bad for silver not to be polished for awhile?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 10:37 am
I haven’t had my cleaning lady come in a few months and am trying to make cleaning as easy as possible for myself and my husband. So I haven’t been using my silver, so that we don’t have to polish it. Will it do any damage if it sits tarnished for awhile?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I haven’t had my cleaning lady come in a few months and am trying to make cleaning as easy as possible for myself and my husband. So I haven’t been using my silver, so that we don’t have to polish it. Will it do any damage if it sits tarnished for awhile?

No.

If you leave it in the garage for 40+ years (as my parents did, before dumping the stuff on me), it will be difficult to clean. But it won't hurt it.

crust

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 10:55 am
SixOfWands wrote:
No.

If you leave it in the garage for 40+ years (as my parents did, before dumping the stuff on me), it will be difficult to clean. But it won't hurt it.

Let me know when they do a garage sale. Wink

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 11:04 am
My cleaning lady just did it after 3+months. It was crazy dirty and they bh look excellent.

zaq

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 3:38 pm
Not a bit.But it will take a lot longer and be that much harder to polish once you do get around to it. Using silver regularly helps keep it shiny, assuming you dry it after washing and don't let it air-dry. Not using it isn't doing you any favors. If you know you won't use it for a long time, wrap it very very tightly in aluminum foil, pressing the foil to the shape of the contents to eliminate all the air. You can wrap a whole stack of items together, like all your forks, all your knives and so on. Put a little extra foil around the ends of the fork tines, because they tend to poke holes in the foil and will start to tarnish there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics