Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Kosher q's

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:00 pm
I have some kosher questions that I'm looking for offhand answers. I know I should just call up my LOR, but I want to hear general knowledge what people do:

1)milchig counter, put burning hot fleishig dish on counter (that's the only place I have for my fleishig microwave), is the counter treif? (and if yes what does that mean now)

2)pouring spices into pots - do you realy have separate spice jars? (I don't!) what do you do? I can't pour it onto my palm because its usually wet/sticky from cooking

3)can I use the same electric kettle to pour into a milchig / fleishig pot (before other contents)? like to make noodles/baby bottle/ soup etc.

4) is the plata/hot plate really fleishig? can I put a parve pot on it and use for milchig coffe/baby bottles?

Thanks!

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:05 pm
This is not a general halachic psak, but this is What I was told-
1- depends what kind of counter it is. Some surfaces can be kashered by pouring boiling water on it, and some can’t.
2- if you hold the spice container high enough that the steam doesn’t reach it, then it’s fine. The problem is the steam going to the container.
Sorry, I don’t know the other answers.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:32 pm
I pour spices into a small bowl like a custard cup. Not really because of kashrut but because my hands aren't necessarily all that clean; and I usually use multiple spices, my spices are not near the stove, and it's more efficient to pour all the spices into a bowl and dump the bowl's contents into the pot than to run back and forth adding each spice. But it works out well for both kashrut and the shelf life of the spice. Opening a jar above a steaming pot lets steam into the spice, which in turn causes clumping; fosters growth of organisms, microscopic and otherwise; and in general shortens the life of the spice. One would have to hold a jar way up in the air to be sure that it's above any remnant of steam, and if you're doing that, the spice is likely to fly all over the place and much of it will land in places other than the pot.

There's an extra dish to wash, but, really, how much washing does it take when all the dish contained was some powdered or leafy seasonings for a few seconds? A quick rinse and it's done.

I don't have separate milchik and fleishik seasonings at all, they're all pareve (I once mistakenly bought a box of fleishik broth granules, botheration!) except for chrain, and that's only because we might eat gefilte fish at a milchik or fleishik meal. I do as much cooking in pareve as possible, and have a small set of pareve flatware that I use for handling ingredients like mayonnaise and pickles. It's kept in a cabinet with other pareve utensils. It's enough that we have to have duplicate tableware, cookware and storageware; I'm not about to have duplicate seasonings!

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 7:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have some kosher questions that I'm looking for offhand answers. I know I should just call up my LOR, but I want to hear general knowledge what people do:

1)milchig counter, put burning hot fleishig dish on counter (that's the only place I have for my fleishig microwave), is the counter treif? (and if yes what does that mean now)

2)pouring spices into pots - do you realy have separate spice jars? (I don't!) what do you do? I can't pour it onto my palm because its usually wet/sticky from cooking

3)can I use the same electric kettle to pour into a milchig / fleishig pot (before other contents)? like to make noodles/baby bottle/ soup etc.

4) is the plata/hot plate really fleishig? can I put a parve pot on it and use for milchig coffe/baby bottles?

Thanks!

Ask your LOR. You can not rely on what anyone here does

silverlining3

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Thanks!

Personal opinion here. Asking you LOR will be your best, easiest, and most relied option. You'll only get confused from So many different answers.

imasinger

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:55 am
AYLOR.

This is one reason why we have them. It's not too small at all, and your answer may well depend on who you ask.

Some possible things to think about with your first question (the others are more straightforward).

Was the milchig counter clean at the time, or might it have had dairy residue? When had it last been cleaned, and how? (Dairy sponge and water, cleaning spray and paper towel?)
How long was the hot fleishig dish on it? Ten seconds? Ten minutes? What is the dish made of? Metal, glass, or ceramic? Do you normally put hot food directly on the counter?

The more details you can give, the better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions