Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Do you stay up on Shavuos?
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 8:47 am
OP, you said tikkun leil Shavuos. Do you specifically mean the tikkun or any learning?

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:44 am
avrahamama wrote:
My husband doesn't. Our rav said that only those who can still daven properly in the AM should stay up. So my husband sleeps for first half of the night and then gets up around 3 am to learn and daven at netz.

My DH also davens with netz minyan on Shavuos, but that is because we don't have any sons. (he tries to get a nap on Erev Shavuos and stays up, because he would find it hard to get up if he would go to sleep first.)

My father was always very opposed to those who stay up all Shavuos night, daven, and go to sleep, leaving their sons to daven unsupervised in shul. He used to go to sleep earlier so that he could get up and take my brothers to shul at the regular minyan.

avrahamama

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:47 am
Chayalle wrote:
My DH also davens with netz minyan on Shavuos, but that is because we don't have any sons. (he tries to get a nap on Erev Shavuos and stays up, because he would find it hard to get up if he would go to sleep first.)

My father was always very opposed to those who stay up all Shavuos night, daven, and go to sleep, leaving their sons to daven unsupervised in shul. He used to go to sleep earlier so that he could get up and take my brothers to shul at the regular minyan.

We always had only netz minyan in Shavuot. And then ice cream party in afternoon.

But on Shabbat, he davens netz and then comes back and gets the boys for second minyan. That way he feels he can focus on them and that he already davened.

mommy9

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:29 am
[quote="Chayalle"]It is a minhag, not a halacha. Including for men.

It's a minhag for men. Not for women. It's something new in this generation.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:31 am
No way why would I?
My dh doesn’t wear white pjs during shiva nekiyim either.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:45 am
Nope. I'm MO and women in my community do, but I'm the opposite of a night owl--my brain shuts off by 10 and it just isn't worth it to me. I tried going to late shiurim in my teens, but I couldn't concentrate that late and absorb anything meaningful. I would rather be functional the next day and learn then.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 12:21 pm
[quote="mommy9"]
Chayalle wrote:
It is a minhag, not a halacha. Including for men.

It's a minhag for men. Not for women. It's something new in this generation.

We were there at Kabalas HaTorah too....

I think, though, that in this generation we women have almost unprecedented opportunities - perhaps not since the times of the B"HMK when women were educated and knew Halachos Tumah V'Taharah and more... - with access to a Torah education.

My grandmother, she should live to be 120, was barely educated to daven properly from a siddur (though she knows how to Kasher chickens and all practical Halacha beyond what we know today) and never had the opportunity to sit in a BY classroom.

Since I had this gift to learn more, why shouldn't I take the opportunity to prepare myself on Shavuos night (so long as it does not interfere with my mothering abilities)?

zaq

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 12:30 pm
No.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 12:40 pm
In the past, our shul has had speakers for the women on Shevuos. I generally stay for a couple of hours. This year, since no one is going to Shul, I may stay up and learn by myself a little while, but but not for long.

Liora20

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:27 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
OP, you said tikkun leil Shavuos. Do you specifically mean the tikkun or any learning?

Oops! I meant any kind of learning Smile

Liora20

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:29 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Women stay up?
Not an attack but I never heard of this.

In MO circles, I know that it is common for women to stay up, and many do.
I also have one or two chareidi friends who stayed up in previous years!
However, when I was thinking about whether or not to stay up this year I realised that I wasn't actually sure myself whether or not it was the done thing in heimish circles, hence the question Smile

chicco

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 2:14 pm
I stay up and try to say all of sefer Tehillim, but I generally pass out and finish it during the day.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 2:19 pm
DH and and I sleep. We cannot function through or after an all-nighter. But yes, it's something women do.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics