Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Rebbe playing favorites on Zoom
Previous  1  2

sub

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:00 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
It is very hard to manage a class on zoom, it's not like a classroom. The screens of each student are constantly jumping around. If there are more than 10-15 students, then there are 2+ pages of mini screens the teacher has to scroll through and keep track of, all while the screens keep shifting spots.
Many times the internet connection is bad which you may not be aware of. Even if you think it's working properly, check with the Rebbi that he can see and hear your child smoothly. Check to make sure your child's face is showing clearly on the screen, not just an ear or half a nose, and that your child is facing forward and looks like he's paying attention.
The teacher needs to keep up the flow of the lesson, and will choose kids who can keep the pace and not slow it down because it causes other kids to tune out.
Also if your presence is visible, the teacher may feel that your child is acting differently than he would in the classroom because of it and perhaps the teacher is uncomfortable to interact with your son in the same way as he would have.
Maybe have a conversation about all these points with the teacher.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:01 pm
sub wrote:
How about 5 minutes before the lesson during lessons I don’t look at texts or answer calls.

I meant in the zoom platform.

avrahamama

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:02 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Is there a lot of background noise in your house ? I tend to call on students who I will be able to hear vs the students who you can hear all their siblings in the background.
The other thing with zoom is that the names constantly shuffle around and especially if you have a big class you don’t see everyone on your screen unless you go up and down the names so it’s harder to notice everyone.

I was thinking exactly this.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 2:24 pm
Just want to shout out my kids' teachers who are so good about including every student in every class. Now that I hear how challenging it is, I appreciate it even more. I notice that even one girl who always sounds like she's under water gets called on daily in both classes, and the teachers have obviously figured out how to decipher what she's saying because they respond accordingly.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 3:38 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I meant in the zoom platform.

For a rebbe who is still shaky with the technology piece, either he won't notice it or it will rattle him.
In any case, I think it would be rude.
Better to have a personal phone call and ask for your son to be given opportunities to actively participate than abruptly message him in the middle of a class.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 5:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 6 year olds rebbe clearly plays favorites on zoom. We’re not sure if this intentional, however, during daily kriya, specific kids gets called on to review- consistently. While others including my son get called on only once (if that) within a two hr session.

We really try to be kaf zchus However it’s difficult to overlook when our son tries so hard to focus and this really deters him. (Either my husband or I sit by his side the entire time)

Last week my husband reached out to the rebbe (without pointing any fingers) and very gently asked if it was possible to include our son more. The rebbe explained that some boys don’t have their names identified on the screened and therefore making it difficult to call on them. Not wanting to be disrespectful, but our son has his own device with his own name logged in every time.

Our DS has been hurting and is questioning why so and so always gets called on and he doesn’t...we’re at a loss at how to respond.

Is it worth saying something to the rebbe again? And if so how to approach the matter as we don’t want to offend him especially since he will likely be our younger sons rebbe next year.

sad but true.
if we would watch rebbes and teachers on video in regular class, you would see MANY of them
sidelining specific children.
I was always sidelined in school.
the pain is surreal.
I do remember two teachers who were kind to me. There is a bookkeeping up there and I am sure hashm will repay them.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 6 year olds rebbe clearly plays favorites on zoom. We’re not sure if this intentional, however, during daily kriya, specific kids gets called on to review- consistently. While others including my son get called on only once (if that) within a two hr session.

We really try to be kaf zchus However it’s difficult to overlook when our son tries so hard to focus and this really deters him. (Either my husband or I sit by his side the entire time)

Last week my husband reached out to the rebbe (without pointing any fingers) and very gently asked if it was possible to include our son more. The rebbe explained that some boys don’t have their names identified on the screened and therefore making it difficult to call on them. Not wanting to be disrespectful, but our son has his own device with his own name logged in every time.

Our DS has been hurting and is questioning why so and so always gets called on and he doesn’t...we’re at a loss at how to respond.

Is it worth saying something to the rebbe again? And if so how to approach the matter as we don’t want to offend him especially since he will likely be our younger sons rebbe next year.

One of my sons is always complaining that the rebbe doesn’t call on him, mutes him, etc... it makes him feel very bad. I personally think my son is just overly sensitive but I want him to know that I take him seriously and that I care so whenever he complains I call the rebbe and tell him the complaint and the rebbe talks to my son on the phone and reassures him.

pause

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:14 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
One of my sons is always complaining that the rebbe doesn’t call on him, mutes him, etc... it makes him feel very bad. I personally think my son is just overly sensitive but I want him to know that I take him seriously and that I care so whenever he complains I call the rebbe and tell him the complaint and the rebbe talks to my son on the phone and reassures him.

You can show your DS that you take him seriously and that you care without calling the rebbe EACH time he complains.

jj1236

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:25 pm
Is he pressing the raise hand button? I don't see all of my students at the same time so they know to press the raise hand button. I tend to call on the same girls because they consistently press that button to raise their hand. I always try to get everyone involved whether their pressing that button or not, but some just don't feel as comfortable participating on zoom.
Edited to add, I don't understand the concept of teachers playing favorites because of wealth or status. Why would that make a difference anyway.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics