Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Siblings bathing together
Previous  1  2

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 7:09 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
7 is a bit too old in my opinion. Doesn't she want and ask for privacy?

Not at all. She loves playing in the bath with company. Didn’t dawn on me that she’s too old for that. But maybe you’re right.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 7:23 pm
My 6 year old has no concept of privacy- she will run out naked if she doesn’t like the color towel in the bath or if she “needs “ to tell us something. I don’t see that she minds bathing with my toddler but for her own modesty I make her wear a bathing suit when they are together / I am in the room the whole time.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 7:26 pm
Bathing suit up to age 9

Not going to post under screen name Smile

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 7:54 pm
Bathing together is great way to share pinworms.

gold21

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 8:17 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Bathing together is great way to share pinworms.

My kids have never had pinworms, and neither have I.

Yeah, it's fun for kids to bathe together.

I let them bathe together when they beg me. Very Happy

Usually, I prefer them to shower as soon as they're old enough to do so, leaving the youngest as the only one still bathing.

Same gender or opposite gender, I don't make an issue of tznius etc if they're under 6.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 8:45 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
You’re doing something right if your girls have fun playing together like that and you’re not bothered by the mess. Enjoy the nachas!

Wasn't enough just to "like" ! What a nice reply!!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 8:53 pm
I have two boys, ages 5 and 1, and yes they bathe together every night. I can't be bothered to do the routine twice. I will stop it as soon as my older one can bathe himself properly. Pee in the bath happens once in a while, it's not a big deal, pee is sterile. There's actually less bacteria in it than tap water.
I wash them off with fresh water before I take them out anyway, to rinse off the bubbles and any leftover soap. P.s. If you've ever swam in the ocean or in a pool there's a 99% chance you were swimming in a bit of pee. It's not the big deal people make it out to be.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:18 pm
I stopped when my 1 y.o. DD was playing with 4 y.o. DS's aiver.

My two DDs who are closer than 2 years apart, I stopped when they were 2 and 4 due to pinworms. Never went back to doing it together once they each got used to having all the bath toys to themselves lol.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:00 pm
I bathe my children together. 4 yo son, 3 yo daughter and baby girl. I actually can't remember the last time I bathed them separately.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:26 pm
Wow. Was not expecting this many responses. Thanks everyone.
So the question is totally just because they are different gender. Same gender I wouldn't see any problem with at all, just wondering if there is an issue since they are different genders.
Son is 4, daughter is under one. Situation is that sometimes my son "helps" me give my daughter a bath and he usually asks if he can get in and join her (for the fun of playing with the toys with her).
I didn't really think of the whole sanitary aspect.

I guess I realize at some point it's going to be weird him being in a bath with his sister and I was just wondering at what age that would happen- will he feel weird about it at that point or is it the kind of thing where I'm going to have to be like ok this isn't really a good idea anymore...?

I'm making it out to be a big deal with this whole long post but basically just want to know if I should let him join her now or is it just easier to not let him do it to begin with?

honeymoon

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:26 pm
I stopped bathing my son and daughter together when son turned three. I would let my kids of the same gender bathe together until they start feeling uncomfortable. My 4 1/2 yr old just informed me that she no longer wants to bathe with her 3 year old sister so they all bathe separately.

Hygiene wise, I wouldn't bathe kids together if one isn't feeling well but otherwise its a great way for them to spend some fun time splashing with their sibs!

Blessing1

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. Was not expecting this many responses. Thanks everyone.
So the question is totally just because they are different gender. Same gender I wouldn't see any problem with at all, just wondering if there is an issue since they are different genders.
Son is 4, daughter is under one. Situation is that sometimes my son "helps" me give my daughter a bath and he usually asks if he can get in and join her (for the fun of playing with the toys with her).
I didn't really think of the whole sanitary aspect.

I guess I realize at some point it's going to be weird him being in a bath with his sister and I was just wondering at what age that would happen- will he feel weird about it at that point or is it the kind of thing where I'm going to have to be like ok this isn't really a good idea anymore...?

I'm making it out to be a big deal with this whole long post but basically just want to know if I should let him join her now or is it just easier to not let him do it to begin with?

It's not a big deal. There's no right or wrong. You do what feels right for you.

ora_43

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 2:41 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Not at all. She loves playing in the bath with company. Didn’t dawn on me that she’s too old for that. But maybe you’re right.

Why not let her decide when she's too old for it? IME, the vast majority of kids start asking for privacy on their own before there's any real risk that it would be inappropriate.

Seven is still quite little.

ora_43

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 2:52 am
As for OP - I'd allow it.

Why prevent a kid from doing something he wants to do today, just because otherwise you might need to stop it in 2-3 years? There's no way to lose here; either he outgrows bathing with his sister well before it becomes worrying (the far more likely option, in my experience), or he doesn't - in which case all you have to do is say "no," which is exactly what you're thinking of doing now.

But if you only say "no" in 2-3 years, at least you'll get 2-3 years of fun sibling baths out of it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics