Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Will you vaccinate your kids when there is a Covid vaccine?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:17 pm
I always vaccinate my kids on schedule. But. I would be terrified to vaccinate my kids with a covid19 vaccine before a few years have elapsed.

I’m scared it may be made mandatory by the state and schools and then what will I do?

Anyone else thinking about this and can share thoughts?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:18 pm
So far my kids have antibodies so don’t need to.

giselle

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:21 pm
I wouldn’t want to. Way too scary. And I’m far from an anti vaxxer. I think it should be used by more vulnerable populations.

Optione

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:25 pm
Wait to worry. Don't use your energy now thinking about it. (I know my opinion wasn't asked, I just feel bad that you're worrying about something that isn't reality yet...)

amother
Violet

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:27 pm
I agree. I give my kids all vaccinations on schedule. I just don't see a point in vaccinating for a disease that really doesn't effect kids and is relatively new/untested. Luckily, I have a few years before my kids have to be in school so I can wait it out.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:37 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I agree. I give my kids all vaccinations on schedule. I just don't see a point in vaccinating for a disease that really doesn't effect kids and is relatively new/untested. Luckily, I have a few years before my kids have to be in school so I can wait it out.

There are many diseases we vaccinae for that don't "really affect kids" but it's the way we create immunity for a population who otherwise wouldn't be protected.

To answer the OP: Hell no!

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:38 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
So far my kids have antibodies so don’t need to.

If itll be mandatory they wont accept this as an excuse

amother
Violet

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
There are many diseases we vaccinae for that don't "really affect kids" but it's the way we create herd immunity.

To answer the OP: Hell no!

Right and I have no problem vaccinating for say, chicken pox or measles, even though my kids are unlikely to c'v die of those diseases in order to protect the larger population because those vaccines have been thoroughly tested and I believe they are safe. It's not to say that a covid vaccine won't be safe, it might be. I just wouldn't be willing to use it until its been around for a few years.

CiCi

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:44 pm
I'm thinking about it too. I was always wary of giving vaccines and I never gave my babies until months later than the schedule mandated. Now I'm more apprehensive of giving the vaccine than I was of my kids getting the coronavirus itself.

Last edited by CiCi on Tue, May 19 2020, 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:44 pm
The thinking of health depts around the country seems to be that this virus will be a seasonal thing like the flu and that immunity lasts only for short time e.g. months/several years. Very possible that they may combine this vaccine with the flu shot, like theyvdidvwith the H1N1 virus.

Since flu shots are mandatory in preschool, this may become an issue for some people.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
The thinking of health depts around the country seems to be that this virus will be a seasonal thing like the flu and that immunity lasts only for short time e.g. months/several years. Very possible that they may combine this vaccine with the flu shot, like theyvdidvwith the H1N1 virus.

Since flu shots are mandatory in preschool, this may become an issue for some people.

In all locations? I thought this was only for NYC.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:17 pm
I wouldn't be comfortable giving it. We always follow the vaccination schedules and are generally trusting of science/medicine but we're also not willing to be guinea pigs for something so new. If after a few years it seems objectively safe/necessary we will but for now when it's not even a thing yet we're just not going to worry about it.

momsrus

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:20 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if it will be required to be allowed back to school.

shev

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:20 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
In all locations? I thought this was only for NYC.

I know its mandatory in NJ also

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:42 pm
I’d do a whole lot of research ... maybe wait a year or two.
BUT if it is mandatory I will gladly do my part to protect the immunocompromised and elderly. It’s a mixed feeling.

Blessing1

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:42 pm
Our pediatrician told me that the flu shot will be mandatory for kids for the new school year because they think it might help prevent covid.
It has not been mandatory in my kids school.
I'd be wary of giving a new vaccine, especially if kids aren't at risk. I think the elderly and at risk should get the vaccine.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:19 am
The tests so far have been showing that they usually dont get past this phase of a vaccine for corona class virus. The testing of one lab showed a large amount of averse reactions on human trials. It doesnt look too promoising. They have worked on it for years ( this class, not covid19 specifically). Vaccinating for viral is completely unlike for bacterial. Its much more tricky and much less succesful.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 1:12 am
No. But I'm not worrying. Hashem is in charge.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
No. But I'm not worrying. Hashem is in charge.

Hashem has used coronavirus to kill more than 323,000 people in the world in less than 6 months. We expect that the death toll in the US will reach 100,000 by the end of this month, over a period of only 3 months.

Yes, if my kids haven't developed natural immunity, and there is no easy effective treatment, they will be vaccinated. Please, Hashem, may effective treatment come soon.

watergirl

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:21 am
Yes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics