Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Can we go away?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:00 pm
After all the hoopla around going away for Pesach, what about shavuos? Can we now safely go to our parents for this holiday?

Curious about peoples opinions.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
After all the hoopla around going away for Pesach, what about shavuos? Can we now safely go to our parents for this holiday?

My parents come to me every year shavous.
It’s the first year they aren’t coming.
It’s not safe for them. They are over 50

We are putting their health above spending time together
Who cares what others say.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:14 pm
Everyone has to evaluate for themselves. I definitely wouldn't go to elderly parents.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:18 pm
So sorry the answer is probably really no, unless you were isolating with them from the beginning afaik.

challenging

giselle

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:32 pm
You’ll get lots of different opinions here. But I don’t think doctors are recommending it.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:52 pm
giselle wrote:
You’ll get lots of different opinions here. But I don’t think doctors are recommending it.

So far everyone is agreeing.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:54 pm
giselle wrote:

My pediatrician is strongly discouraging kids playing within 8 ft of each other.

I feel like we constantly trust our dr with our lives. But this advise we don’t trust them. Even they do it themselves. I find it so confusing.

Same with rabbanim. My neighbors call our rav for niddah and Shabbos Sheilos where the punishment is karais and sekillah. But when it comes to davening with a minyan or in shul they don’t trust him. Even when he is doing it himself. .

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:54 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

Right.
I feel comfortable visiting my young siblings, but not elderly parents or grandparents, especially when they've been quarantined since the beginning. It's still too risky for them.

giselle

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:55 pm

So far.. if you follow enough of these threads you’ll notice the varying opinions Wink

amother
Blush

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:56 pm
Yes, if you’re in Brooklyn you can safely meet with family already.
It’s all about politics now. No new cases

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:57 pm

Not really. Where I live few ppl are SD. Ppl think you are nuts when you are
That is why I feel the dr and rav contradiction so strong.

I feel like not exposing parents that are being careful is the ultimate kibbud Av vaim

But honestly if parents aren’t SD then kids should go because what is the difference anyways.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 1:00 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Yes, if you’re in Brooklyn you can safely meet with family already.
It’s all about politics now. No new cases

Had shuls been closed before Purim and no one gotten sick and 250 Jewish lives saved and no one got sick would you also think it was political?

What does your pediatrician say to do? Is that political?

I’m not doing it to stop the spread. I’m doing it to protect my parents.
Do you think anyone who exposed and perhaps killed their parents did it on purpose?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 1:05 pm
My mother just contacted me , because she was going to ask her doctor and Rav if she could come to us for Yom Tov, since she was already very sick with the virus Pesach time and we believe we had it too. Today she got her antibodies test results and they are NEGATIVE. She had every symptom of the virus and also developed pneumonia from it. So now it looks like she will most definitely be staying home alone for Yom Tov.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 1:42 pm
Everyone has to make their own decisions at this point. We're going to my in-laws for meals because they're under 65 and healthy and we feel like its a low-risk situation. Obviously not everyone will agree.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 2:10 pm
My in laws have been coming to us for Shavuos for years. This year they will not be coming because they're in their 70s and are still self-isolating as are we. My brother in law also usually comes with his family but they have a newborn and are also self-isolating as much as possible since he's an essential worker. They're certainly not going anywhere near my in laws because it's too risky.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 2:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Can you safely go?

Have you and your parents safely quarantined yourself -- no shopping, no contact with anyone else whatsoever, not withing 10 feet of anyone else -- for 14 days? Then its likely safe.

If not, you can decide to go, and take the risks. Your choice. Please, however, be sure to keep away from other people. And obviously, agree that you won't use scarce medical resources, particularly any experimental medications that are in short supply, should you contract covid 19. If you believe the risk of death is low, then take it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics