Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O missionary people
1  2  Next

PeanutMama

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 5:22 pm
Anybody had experience with these people and can share?
I must not be the only one lol...

I had 3 experiences back when I was single.

1) We were at work and we were on the bus with the girls heading for a small outing when this pastor came on and started preaching about yoshka. I cringed and kept saying shema without hashems name and doing my best to ignore him. ESPECIALLY after he said “I pray for the lost jewish people...” um excuse me?!

2) was walking down the street when another pastor followed me to give me this paper and said “j-*-* is waiting for you!” (I was walking quickly, to ignore him) but he shoved it in my hands.
Dropped the paper like it was fire in the closest trash can (out of his sight of course)

3) was walking home when a very convincing looking frum lady (she was dressed in tichel, tights, skirt, long sleeves...) gave me a pamphlet and wished me Shabbat shalom.
I opened up the pamphlet bc I’m 180% certain no frum lady would randomly carry pamphlets unless in israel, and saw the cross and the word “Yesh**h hamashiach”

I got mad I was sooo convinced this was a Jewish lady.

Like the other incidents I threw out the pamphlet.

So far I haven’t met a missionary person yet...

giselle

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 5:24 pm
I honestly don’t remember. These things make zero impression on me. I think some may have knocked on our door. Ignore.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 5:28 pm
Loool that happened to us back when I was living in Arizona. There are a lot of Mormon people there and they used to come on their bikes knocking on doors
We ignored them

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 5:29 pm
When I was 12 I was home alone in Boro Park and someone knocked on the door. I answered and it was a man and woman who had gorgeous pictures of scenic views. They asked me what I thought about them and if I wanted to go to any of these beautiful places. They then told my my dreams could become a reality . I think they then mentioned “J” and I suddenly got scared. It felt like they were trying to convince me to go along with them. I kept repeating “Im not interested right now. No thank you” ...they wouldn’t leave though! So I shut the door in their face. Ever since then , even though I’m an adult, when I see missionaries walking around my area I begin panicking and I don’t open the door. They creep me out.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 5:54 pm
Yea. I get Jehovah’s Witnesses all the time. Ugh. There’s a whole church or whatever dedicated to trying to convert Jews to Xtianity and they have maps of areas where Jews live. And I believe there was, not that long ago, a couple who everyone believed was frum who were actually missionaries. A lot of people had them around, I think their kids went to Jewish schools too????

Frumme

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 5:59 pm
Once two Mormon girls came to my door. They'd obviously been out all day and were very hot. I said I wasn't interested in learning about what they were preaching, and that I was quite happy being Jewish. I offered them water and they were very grateful-- I was the first person to offer all day! One girl in particular was very interested in learning about Judaism, and actually kept asking me questions, which I happily answered. Then the other girl started to get uncomfortable with the sudden role reversal and quickly made up an excuse for the two of them to move on to the next house.

😂

(Side note, I am obviously against proselytizing to non-Jews. It was just an ironic turn of events.)

singleagain

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:02 pm
My ex said he used to like to talk to them because he was a history buff and so he would debate history with them

zaq

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:55 pm
Meh. To frum people they're like the fungus gnats in a flowerpot...annoying pests that you want to slap away but not a real threat. The ones to whom they are a danger are ignorant Jews who have some interest in exploring their heritage and don't know enough to recognize missionaries for what they are. The missionaries know just enough Hebrew or Yiddish and just enough about Jewish customs to sound plausible to someone like that.

My father alav hashalom loved arguing with these people. They would come around door-to-door Sunday mornings, and he would invite them in just so he could have some fun with them. Nu, while he was detaining them, he was keeping them away from potential victims.

zaq

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 7:00 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
When I was 12 I was home alone in Boro Park and someone knocked on the door. I answered .

THIS is the most disturbing part of your post. Didn't your parents tell you never to open the door unless a. your parents were home AND b. you knew who it was? I don't care if you did live in BP Ir Hakodesh where everyone is frum and it's "safe." Unpleasant things happen everywhere. Do you let your children open the door to strangers?

zaq

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 7:06 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Yea. I get Jehovah’s Witnesses all the time. Ugh. There’s a whole church or whatever dedicated to trying to convert Jews to Xtianity

Hon, it's not just the JW--it's Christianity as a whole. Some sects are more energetic and more blatant about it, but make no mistake, they're all interested in "saving souls," Jewish ones most of all.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 7:10 pm
When I was growing up we would get random knocks on the door every once in a while. We have a lot of Mormons in our area and they just wave when they see us but never knock on our door. I do have a friend who is xtian and has trouble respecting boundaries sometimes. Once at the DMV years ago someone was asking me about the baby and we had a mildly polite conversation and then they brought up religion and it went somewhat downhill from there, "I'm Jewish." "I'm sorry." What? Can't Believe It

PeanutMama

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 7:12 pm
Whaoaaaa

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 7:21 pm
zaq wrote:
Hon, it's not just the JW--it's Christianity as a whole. Some sects are more energetic and more blatant about it, but make no mistake, they're all interested in "saving souls," Jewish ones most of all.

Nah. See Unitarian for example.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 7:26 pm
zaq wrote:
The ones to whom they are a danger are ignorant Jews who have some interest in exploring their heritage and don't know enough to recognize missionaries for what they are. The missionaries know just enough Hebrew or Yiddish and just enough about Jewish customs to sound plausible to someone like that.

My dh works with someone who was raised in a secular or maybe Reform? I don't know exactly, but definitely not frum, Jewish home but is now xtian and becoming a pastor and I remember thinking, "how did that happen? That doesn't make any sense." and here is my answer. Same thing with a friend of mine whose maternal grandmother is Jewish but in college or maybe after her friend's mom invited her to a Bible study and then she went on a missionary trip to Romania. Obviously not that quickly but you know.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:18 pm
zaq wrote:
THIS is the most disturbing part of your post. Didn't your parents tell you never to open the door unless a. your parents were home AND b. you knew who it was? I don't care if you did live in BP Ir Hakodesh where everyone is frum and it's "safe." Unpleasant things happen everywhere. Do you let your children open the door to strangers?

I’m not exactly a regular poster here, but even I have seen enough to know that Thunderstorm didn’t exactly have the most typical functional childhood...

soap suds

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:00 pm
Which thread is this a s/o of?

yersp

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:02 am
25 years ago when I was a youngster stranger danger wasn't something we were constantly aware of. I still can't believe the things I was allowed to do but would never allow my kids to do. Times were very different then. But that's for a different thread.
B"H I have never met a missionary person and I hope I never do. I do see them in my neighborhood a lot and have warned my kids to just ignore them and walk away.

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:23 am
They roam the streets here usually on Sundays and legal holidays, or at least I don’t really notice them other times. They’re very easy to spot because the women always wear skirts that are modest, the men wear suits, and they always walk in pairs or more. I’ve never actually encountered them, but I would love to be able to have a conversation with them, but I’m not learned enough to dispute and here they would only speak spanish.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:27 am
ugh what jet-black said

best not to engage at all with them

we burn any materials they leave behind

and as mauve also said sad to say they can be more "dangerous" than one might think particularly to the vulnerable R"L

they should be shut down and pushed out whenever and wherever possible

sequoia

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:35 am
When we were emigrating, the church in Ladispoli that targeted Soviet Jews, largely ignorant of their heritage, was called the American Club.

So everyone came, because they wanted to meet people and practice their English.

It was run by missionaries — a couple from the US, an English lady, and a Canadian girl.

The pastor and his wife are now in Yerushalaim. It’s like they have an obsession with converting specifically Jews. Proselytizing in Israel is illegal, but that doesn’t stop them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics