Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Minyans now allowed in NY State
1  2  3  Next

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:44 pm
Given the amount of whining here, it’s shocking no one considered this relevant enough to post. Religious services of up to 10 people, with masks and social distancing, are now allowed.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/.....n-ny/

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:50 pm
How come Bronx came in first for most positive cases?

They didn't have Purim or porch monyanim or newlyweds at the seder.

According to some posters on this site, Brooklyn should have been the worst.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:55 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:

Because they live very crowded, like shul for megilas esther.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:57 pm

Nope - never said.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:58 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Given the amount of whining here, it’s shocking no one considered this relevant enough to post. Religious services of up to 10 people, with masks and social distancing, are now allowed.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/.....n-ny/

Nice. Better if it was like in Israel - 19 permitted.

zohar

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:01 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Nice. Better if it was like in Israel - 19 permitted.

The 19 number is really smart. This way, as soon as there is 20, the minyan splits into two. The purpose is to prevent people from going from place to place looking for a minyan.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:01 pm
zohar wrote:
The 19 number is really smart. This way, as soon as there is 20, the minyan splits into two. The purpose is to prevent people from going from place to place looking for a minyan.

Wink

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:02 pm

Poverty.

Next question?

But I guess you don’t care about minyans. You just care about whining. Duly noted.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:19 pm
zohar wrote:

Don’t have to. Wait for 9 more to arrive in the next room.

Ideally, these are all set up in advance anyway.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:21 pm
Whatever. Minyanim are ongoing where I live, some with SD and some only officially SD but reality is not.

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:22 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Poverty.

Next question?

But I guess you don’t care about minyans. You just care about whining. Duly noted.

I would say crowdedness over poverty. IME COVID19 did not discriminate between rich and poor.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:26 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Poverty.

Next question?

And the reason why the poor in the Appalachian mountains don't have a high infection rate? What about the poor in Mexico and South America? Wink

amother
Denim

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:30 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I would say crowdedness over poverty. IME COVID19 did not discriminate between rich and poor.

Crowdedness usually comes with poverty and the data agrees that poverty and age of population are the deciding factors.

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:34 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Crowdedness usually comes with poverty and the data agrees that poverty and age of population are the deciding factors.

Again, one is not more likely to contract the virus if they are poor. It is true that many poor people live in crowded conditions, and people who live in crowded conditions are more likely to get sick. But A does not equal C.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:56 pm
Eh, he's behind the times! Wink

cbsp

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:33 pm
Honestly? (and I got no skin in the game being that I live in Passaic) I think it's awful.

Don't dictate how I (or anyone) practices religion. See the Governor's answer to the request for more than 10 - if he approves for the yidden then he has to explain to the catholics why they're not getting the same "privileges."

What? Why isn't this being dealt with the same way other facilities are - with calculations of occupancy and ability to socially distance. It makes zero sense that a large shul that can accommodate 1,000 congregants comfortably be limited to 10 individuals (I'd say the same about any other religious house of worship). On the flip side it makes zero sense to allow 10 men to crowd into a basement room that cannot contain them with the appropriate social distancing.

I get so frustrated when we're expected to cheer the crumbs thrown our way.

(I had a similar thought with the day camp thread. Don't say we should be happy that day camps will be allowed to open as long as they abide by all the restrictions that take away the exact definition of camp - and then call people entitled for rejecting the proposal)

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:41 pm
cbsp wrote:
Honestly? (and I got no skin in the game being that I live in Passaic) I think it's awful.

Don't dictate how I (or anyone) practices religion. See the Governor's answer to the request for more than 10 - if he approves for the yidden then he has to explain to the catholics why they're not getting the same "privileges."

What? Why isn't this being dealt with the same way other facilities are - with calculations of occupancy and ability to socially distance. It makes zero sense that a large shul that can accommodate 1,000 congregants comfortably be limited to 10 individuals (I'd say the same about any other religious house of worship). On the flip side it makes zero sense to allow 10 men to crowd into a basement room that cannot contain them with the appropriate social distancing.

I get so frustrated when we're expected to cheer the crumbs thrown our way.

(I had a similar thought with the day camp thread. Don't say we should be happy that day camps will be allowed to open as long as they abide by all the restrictions that take away the exact definition of camp - and then call people entitled for rejecting the proposal)

In other words, nothing Cuomo does will make you happy. 10 is a minyan. Why are more needed?

This isn’t a “crumb.” It’s exactly what people say they wanted. Until they got it, and need to still attack Cuomo.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:44 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Again, one is not more likely to contract the virus if they are poor. It is true that many poor people live in crowded conditions, and people who live in crowded conditions are more likely to get sick. But A does not equal C.

Poverty creates other conditions that increase risks. Poor medical care. Crowded conditions. More likely to work in jobs that have a higher risk of exposure.

There is no question that poor people have been disproportionally affected. And the Bronx is the poorest Borough of NYC.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:44 pm
A minyan just started on our block but already people "forget'' masks and to keep 6 ft away so we are not attending. Brooklyn
Seems like a little bit of loosening up means all clear to some individuals. It's annoying because of them we cannot join the block minyan. Perhaps we will start another.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:48 pm
I am so so jealous. I live in a state that basically threw us in jail and tossed away the key, and Jews are such a small percentage that no one cares what we think or what we want.

See you all next year! Sad Crying
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics