Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O SAHMs

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:50 am
Does anyone not find it easy to be at home with all the kids? I have 4 kids under the age of 6, including a nursing baby. Someone constantly needs something from me. I have no cleaning help and no free lunches. It’s hard work.

tante_feige

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:09 pm
Small kids who need constant help with school, working full time, no free lunches and no other adult. Every situation is different.

I am happy for those who find this relaxing. However, some people express a genuine lack of understanding about how, for others, this is the most stressing moment of our lives. It comes across as tone deaf and spoiled.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 12:29 pm
I find it very hard too!

amother
Navy

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 1:42 pm
Difficult for me too. Can't wait my kids school to open!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 2:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone not find it easy to be at home with all the kids? I have 4 kids under the age of 6, including a nursing baby. Someone constantly needs something from me. I have no cleaning help and no free lunches. It’s hard work.

No one said it was easy, but all the work you're doing? NOW add a full time job on top of it. I used to pump during all my breaks, I still had to clean when I got home, my kids were all over me when I got home, I had to shop for all my groceries for the week on Sunday and manage all the lunches and meals, I would be cooking for shabbos on Thursday until the wee hours of the morning, etc. And every single teacher didn't seem to understand that I couldn't attend their 10am siddur party or do a project with my child in playgroup at 11am on a random day.

This isn't a contest, but I think we often don't give working moms enough credit for how hard they have it. I've done both, and definitely it's really hard to be at work because parenting doesn't just stop because you have to go to work.

lilies

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 4:04 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
No one said it was easy, but all the work you're doing? NOW add a full time job on top of it. I used to pump during all my breaks, I still had to clean when I got home, my kids were all over me when I got home, I had to shop for all my groceries for the week on Sunday and manage all the lunches and meals, I would be cooking for shabbos on Thursday until the wee hours of the morning, etc. And every single teacher didn't seem to understand that I couldn't attend their 10am siddur party or do a project with my child in playgroup at 11am on a random day.

This isn't a contest, but I think we often don't give working moms enough credit for how hard they have it. I've done both, and definitely it's really hard to be at work because parenting doesn't just stop because you have to go to work.

People have said it's easy, or at least easier than a full-time job, and you make it seem like all one does when home plus a full time job is equal to each one separately.
It isn't.

I've done both. It's two very different lifestyles with very different challenges.
You seem to be coming from the perspective of someone that is being stretched thin due to their full-time job. That's not always the case.
I've been stretched a lot thinner when being home all day, than with my full time job.

Needing to do more than one human being can do will never end well, it has nothing to do with working.

chocolatecake

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 4:27 pm
I work full time and personally for me I’m happier and more productive all around when I work vs if I was a sahm. However right now in this current nutty situation I think it’s fair to say that Sahms have it easier. We are all home with our kids all day, cooking cleaning teaching etc and us working moms have to work on top of all that is going on at home while sahms don’t have that added pressure.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 5:57 pm
I’m not a kid person.
I enjoy them being out and myself being out. I can’t sit home all day with them - it drains me in a bad way.

That said, being out the house IS harder than staying home and being home with them I can be a lot more relaxed so it’s like a Sophie’s choice for me lol

daagahminayin

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:07 pm
Deleted

Last edited by daagahminayin on Wed, May 20 2020, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

happy chick

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:09 pm
chocolatecake wrote:
I work full time and personally for me I’m happier and more productive all around when I work vs if I was a sahm. However right now in this current nutty situation I think it’s fair to say that Sahms have it easier. We are all home with our kids all day, cooking cleaning teaching etc and us working moms have to work on top of all that is going on at home while sahms don’t have that added pressure.

That's true, but I feel like it's what's saving my sanity right now. As hard as it is to get out to work, everyone needs some "me time" and for me that's when I go to work.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:15 pm
I think the hardest for me is working at home - the worst of both worlds. I don't know how anyone does it, I am literally losing my mind.

momlife

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:16 pm
I’m working from home full time with my kids around (2yr and 8mo) I’m not gonna say they’re not a bit neglected 😩
I can’t wait for daycare to reopen!!!

SuperWify

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:25 pm
Super difficult and I have 1 child.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 6:28 pm

It’s bit a contest, so no one has it harder. The end. For some, staying home full time is harder. For some, working full time is harder. The end.

tichellady

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 8:13 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Super difficult and I have 1 child.

Same! But I’m not working and am so grateful because that sounds impossible

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 8:20 pm

This is a spin off of a different thread, where a full time worker was saying how easy and relaxing this time period is being home with all her kids. My comment is that I have a bunch of little kids so this time period is very demanding and exhausting. I do work part time. But it would be literally impossible for me to work full time with all the kids home now. I would have to quit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics