Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are your husbands going to go to minyan ?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Gray

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 8:56 pm
My husband will probably not go because he doesn't trust there will be actual SD in shuls here. (BP) if there were shuls complying with the agudah guidelines he would go of course.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
How is this technically going to work? There aren't thousands of sefer torahs available for hundreds of micro minyanim.

I'm not sure yet, but my husband's minyan is that you sign and up "register" so I'm guessing they kind of choose who gets to go everyday maybe ? Kind of like ur on call. I guess we will see ?

tryinghard

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:03 pm
How is this technically going to work? There aren't thousands of sefer torahs available for hundreds of micro minyanim.

My husband is starting a minyan in our backyard tomorrow morning IyH. I asked him about the Sefer Torah issue and he was pretty sure that bidieved, it’s a chiyuv on the entire klall, not the individual minyan.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:03 pm
Located in Lakewood. For reference, in normal times, dh is super duper makpid on minyan. Avoids traveling where there won't be a minyan etc. While we had a very safe minyan in our backyard, dh did not attend. Firstly, his Rebbe paskined not to attend minyan in the beginning. Besides for the obvious pikuach nefesh issue, not everyone holds that a minyan on different porches is ok. Dh also felt that the Sefer Torah wasn't being treated properly and exposed to the elements. This week he has started to join the minyan for mincha and maariv. For shacharis and Shabbos he joined a fully legal exclusive minyan. He will not hop from minyan to minyan as this increased risk. For this reason, Israel made the limit 19 per minyan so people don't run around to find one.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:05 pm
We live in North Woodmere and our rav is Rabbi Lebowitz. We will be following his guidelines to the letter. As of now it looks like backyard minyanim will be set up with exactly 10 men sitting 6 feet away from all other members of the minyan and wearing masks at all times. Men will have a minyan kavua so that they will only be potentially exposed to the same people. AIUI, the rules may change depending on the legal and medical situation.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:05 pm

Torah isn’t read every day.

Most shuls have several scrolls. One per room, staggered minyanim. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. So if you have 5 Torahs, and 5 times, that’s 250 men. You could double that if you have 10 rooms by having 2 minyan share a Torah, staggering the start times even more.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not sure yet, but my husband's minyan is that you sign and up "register" so I'm guessing they kind of choose who gets to go everyday maybe ? Kind of like ur on call. I guess we will see ?

The ones by me have shifts and rooms. So you sign up for a shift and a room to daven in. So three different time slots for shacharit: netz, 730, 815 and three rooms/minyans they can pray. So thats 90 men who can pray every AM. Once you sign up you are committed to that minyan until things change again. And like that for minchah and arvit also.

BH they opened to ages 13-65 (I'm surprised. I imagined they would open it to 20-60 for a few reasons...) And I imagine they give preference to those who need to say kadish.

amother
Black

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:28 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Lovely to know that your husbands in NYC who have been going to minyan have been breaking the law. That makes me so furious.

For the rest of us law-abiding citizens, it will be difficult to organize minyanim of only 10 people. The rabbeim in my LI town are working out the logistics. My husband, who is a front-line worker, will absolutely not attend an unorganized minyan of more than 10 men.

Are you also so furious when the husbands in NYC run a stop sign?

soap suds

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:29 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
The ones by me have shifts and rooms. So you sign up for a shift and a room to daven in. So three different time slots for shacharit: netz, 730, 815 and three rooms/minyans they can pray. So thats 90 men who can pray every AM. Once you sign up you are committed to that minyan until things change again. And like that for minchah and arvit also.

BH they opened to ages 13-65 (I'm surprised. I imagined they would open it to 20-60 for a few reasons...) And I imagine they give preference to those who need to say kadish.

Why would you think it should be 20 rather than 13?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:30 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Are you also so furious when the husbands in NYC run a stop sign?

Don’t get me started on that. Yes. Infuriated.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:32 pm
My husband is 68 and the cut off is 65 for our shul.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:36 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Lovely to know that your husbands in NYC who have been going to minyan have been breaking the law. That makes me so furious.

For the rest of us law-abiding citizens, it will be difficult to organize minyanim of only 10 people. The rabbeim in my LI town are working out the logistics. My husband, who is a front-line worker, will absolutely not attend an unorganized minyan of more than 10 men.

Breaking the “law” which was decided by one single Cuomo, completely politically driven, with zero sense or reason.
Fact is, in BP, there were hardly new cases (If any) since after pesach.

Time to reopen carefully.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:37 pm
soap suds wrote:
Why would you think it should be 20 rather than 13?

I vaguely remember hearing that 20 is the actual age that a person becomes accountable for his mitzvot to Hashem...

So in my imagination they'd do 20-60 (not above 60 because of the risk to that age group)

But again all my imagination...

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:38 pm
Our shul not in NY started outdoor minyan a few weeks ago. They just started leining though this week. Our state has no limit to the amount of people, so the number of sifrei Torah are not a problem. Bh everyone has been listening, everyone wears masks and stays 6 feet away from each other.
I can't imagine the logistics of having to keep the minyanim to just 10 people - sounds like such a headache!

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:40 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Torah isn’t read every day.

Most shuls have several scrolls. One per room, staggered minyanim. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. So if you have 5 Torahs, and 5 times, that’s 250 men. You could double that if you have 10 rooms by having 2 minyan share a Torah, staggering the start times even more.
Wouldn't work for Shabbos and Yom Tov.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:17 pm
My husbands Yeshiva is starting minyanim tomorrow. They sent out a robo call saying the following: In order to come you need to be a talmid of the Yeshiva. You have had to have met one of the following criteria. 1 - Had Covid-19 and be symptom free for at least 14 days 2 - tested positive for antibodies 3- be very certain that you had it (with a medical opinion) already. You have to sign up via email. Only the guys that sign up will have their key cards activated to be allowed in the building. Once you get there a gabbi will direct you to your minyan (its a very big building and will have many minyanim but only at 3 specifc times a day).

mig100

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:59 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Iyh starting tomorrow.

Same. Really exciting day here. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

crl

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:07 am
No, absolutely not. OU guidlines state minyanim can consider starting 14 days AFTER legally allowing groups of 10 people once we see the data and see if there’s an increase of cases.

There are already clear violations of minyan, nobody is policing them to adhere to social distancing and limit of 10, and there will be more cases and God forbid deaths because of it. This isn’t a political issue, it’s a data and science issue. The models are predicting BEST CASE SCENARIO 120,000 deaths over the summer countrywide.

No, antibodies don’t equal immunity. No, we didn’t all have it and therefore it isn’t a big deal. No, it’s not over. Yes, there will be repercussions.

amother
Red

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:24 am
Mi k'amcha yisroel!!!

So happy we can reopen safely!!!

May Hashem Answer our tefilos for revealed good!

I am so impressed with the thought and careful detailed plans to open safely.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:40 am
He will go to shul starting this week. I haven't been there to check it out but I imagine there will be no SD or masks based on what I see on the streets and in local stores. Yes, I would much prefer if he would stay home. But, he's not my child and I can't force him not to go. I can only hope and pray that we all stay safe.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics