Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
SNAP just gave more money?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:31 pm
I see I got another deposit now on my food stamps card. But I already received the maximum amount for my family size.
Anyone knows what this is for??

youngishbear

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:39 pm
It's for children who qualify for free or reduced lunch.

The amount per child depends on your state.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:41 pm
http://chaiplus1.com/news/pand.....ance/

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:57 pm
Anyone else got yet- How much did you recieve?
Just curious because read should be about $425 a child. I got way less.
Is it a one time payment per child?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:48 pm
Check the link provided above. It depends where you live.
BTW, for all those posts that were quoting the amount of $8 a meal, .according to this, it breaks down to 5.70 per day, which is actually covering the cost of breakfast and lunch, so it's between $2-3 a meal....

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:36 am
Just for your information the amount of money schools get for lunches depends on the state. In New York they give $7.50 a meal and in New Jersey it’s less it’s $6 a meal. It could be that a more out of town state only gives $5 a meal but if you are talking about New York and New Jersey that is what they give. Also there are other programs available now besides for school lunches so some schools figured out how to be on two programs at once.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:04 am
I'm talking about NY.
how much per child did you recieve?
Because I did check out the above link and I got way less then what it says.
For those in NY,VHow much $ did you get?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:38 am
My sister I’m
Florida got more food stamps pm her card I’m florida

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:34 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Just for your information the amount of money schools get for lunches depends on the state. In New York they give $7.50 a meal and in New Jersey it’s less it’s $6 a meal. It could be that a more out of town state only gives $5 a meal but if you are talking about New York and New Jersey that is what they give. Also there are other programs available now besides for school lunches so some schools figured out how to be on two programs at once.

Since it is federally funded, no. It is the same, 5.70 per day, per child. The federal government does not give extra depending where you live. Check that link again, you will clearly see the amount given is based on that. The states that have a total amount just did the math already, 5.70 x the number of days out of school. That's why the amounts are pretty much the same, depending on when the closures started. Just some bundled all the months together and others separated the payments into a couple months at a time.

Another thing, only frum people talk about "out of town" states, that concept literally does not exist out of frum NY. Lol. Certainly not something the federal government would be taking into account. Laugh

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:45 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Since it is federally funded, no. It is the same, 5.70 per day, per child. The federal government does not give extra depending where you live. Check that link again, you will clearly see the amount given is based on that. The states that have a total amount just did the math already, 5.70 x the number of days out of school. That's why the amounts are pretty much the same, depending on when the closures started. Just some bundled all the months together and others separated the payments into a couple months at a time.

Another thing, only frum people talk about "out of town" states, that concept literally does not exist out of frum NY. Lol. Certainly not something the federal government would be taking into account. Laugh

It actually may be lower in other states because cost of living( food) may be considered cheaper by the government, which obviously isn't the case for kosher consumers. However, since those program is national, you'd think that wouldn't be the case her.

On a different note, it seems some people without food stamps will be eligible. Does anyone know where to see eligibility requirements?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:49 am
OP what state do you live in?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:50 am
No, the federal government keeps it the same across the board. And they don't account for the cost of kosher food--why would they? There would be lawsuits and angry people. You can't give more to a state just because it has a large Jewish population.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:51 am
The lunch program is federal. Not state dependent except the adminstration of it.

The kids who are eligible are the ones listed on a school's roster of being eligible for free or reduced lunch.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:54 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
It actually may be lower in other states because cost of living( food) may be considered cheaper by the government, which obviously isn't the case for kosher consumers. However, since those program is national, you'd think that wouldn't be the case her.

On a different note, it seems some people without food stamps will be eligible. Does anyone know where to see eligibility requirements?

It’s a federal program and the same across the board. Google national school lunch program reimbursement rates and you will see the chart. Some states give money on top of the federal money but it’s around fifteen cents a meal. Nothing significant.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:11 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
The lunch program is federal. Not state dependent except the adminstration of it.

The kids who are eligible are the ones listed on a school's roster of being eligible for free or reduced lunch.

Hi so I don't understand what all this free lunch stuff has to do with SNAP. We are normally a little above the limit and we do not qualify for snap so are you saying that now we would qualify for that? We already got free school lunches.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
OP what state do you live in?

NY

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:10 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Hi so I don't understand what all this free lunch stuff has to do with SNAP. We are normally a little above the limit and we do not qualify for snap so are you saying that now we would qualify for that? We already got free school lunches.

If you're not on SNAP but got free lunches, your state should be mailing out special EBT cards with around $300/child

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:54 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

But what if I wasn’t eligible but now am? How can I apply?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:11 pm
As far as I know, the school needs to file the forms for you. Try going on the DOE website to see if you can download the forms and upload so they can process it, or contact your child's school to see if they can do it.
However, I don't know if they will give you money retroactively, meaning when did you begin to qualify?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone else got yet- How much did you recieve?
Just curious because read should be about $425 a child. I got way less.
Is it a one time payment per child?

Also got today , but wierd amounts, and came in 2 payments. Certainly not $420 per child, way less. But def thankful for what we got. I'm in NY.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics