Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
I See Only The Negative

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:56 am
I know and truly believe that Hashem makes no mistakes and everything He does is for our greater good. I’m just having such a hard time believing or seeing anything good in this situation. Firstly the horrific amount of tragic deaths we’ve faced was beyond traumatic. And if tzaros haklal was supposed to bring us closer to each other it actually did quite the opposite. People keep bashing each other’s behaviors during the lockdown. I probably heard more lashon hora these past few weeks than my whole life. The hate towards those that do differently than us can be sliced with a knife. Let’s not even mention the chillul Hashem going on. The kids are all losing out academically, socially, mentally and spiritually. I seriously don’t see any positives in these dark times. Makes me so depressed!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:36 am
I tell myself that we've been through a lot as a people and endured. People came through not just intact but vibrant. I try to call on their strengths.
Being a Pollyanna takes a LOT of hard work, even for born Pollyannas. Wink

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:47 am
I was Baruch HaShem able to witness first hand the unbelievable chesed that people have done during this time. I was always aware of the devotion from our volunteers whether it’s Hatzalah, Shomrim, Misaskim, Tomchei Shabbos and the hundreds of others out there. Every time I hear negativity or bashing I think of what these hundreds of selfless individuals have done during this crisis.
Often our environment that we are in contributes to the energy that we have. So if you are surrounded by toxic people, or are reading negative reports constantly or listening to negativity from the media , it will have a negative effect on you to an extent.

I was feeling down during some of this time and I worked on my gratitude. I consciously made an effort to see five things I was grateful for even under these tough circumstances. The more gratitude I expressed , the lighter and more positive I felt. I had to do it for a while to start feeling it.
I also disconnected from reading bad news or even the bashing threads etc to get back some positive energy.
I don’t know if you saw this . I posted this a while ago . This reminded me of all the amazing people we have in Klal Yisroel and these people gave of themselves more than you can imagine during this crisis.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeCCwKcRVKQ

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:55 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I was Baruch HaShem able to witness first hand the unbelievable chesed that people have done during this time. I was always aware of the devotion from our volunteers whether it’s Hatzalah, Shomrim, Misaskim, Tomchei Shabbos and the hundreds of others out there. Every time I hear negativity or bashing I think of what these hundreds of selfless individuals have done during this crisis.
Often our environment that we are in contributes to the energy that we have. So if you are surrounded by toxic people, or are reading negative reports constantly or listening to negativity from the media , it will have a negative effect on you to an extent.

I was feeling down during some of this time and I worked on my gratitude. I consciously made an effort to see five things I was grateful for even under these tough circumstances. The more gratitude I expressed , the lighter and more positive I felt. I had to do it for a while to start feeling it.
I also disconnected from reading bad news or even the bashing threads etc to get back some positive energy.
I don’t know if you saw this . I posted this a while ago . This reminded me of all the amazing people we have in Klal Yisroel and these people gave of themselves more than you can imagine during this crisis.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeCCwKcRVKQ

Wow this was Beautiful!!!! Mi keamcha Yisroel! Thanks!

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:25 am
I don't think there's anything wrong with being honest about things and viewing the events of Covid-19 as a negative. Yes, there was enormous chessed taking place and still is. Even so that doesn't answer why hashem caused so much death and suffering.

For some they can simply not think about that side of things and only focus on the good that came out of all this. That's fine, but I feel that's not being truthful or realistic about the facts.

As to why hashem brought this magaifa, we will never know. I suppose it falls into the category of why does hashem cause bad things to happen? There's no satisfactory answer that we can understand.

As a complete side note, I don't think it's fair to describe the issue within the frum community as "the hate towards those that do things DIFFERENTLY than us". Please be fair. I don't want to get into it now but the problem that some had with others was not because they were doing things "differently". It's because some felt that others were endangering lives. That's a far cry from "different".

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:31 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with being honest about things and viewing the events of Covid-19 as a negative. Yes, there was enormous chessed taking place and still is. Even so that doesn't answer why hashem caused so much death and suffering.

For some they can simply not think about that side of things and only focus on the good that came out of all this. That's fine, but I feel that's not being truthful or realistic about the facts.

As to why hashem brought this magaifa, we will never know. I suppose it falls into the category of why does hashem cause bad things to happen? There's no satisfactory answer that we can understand.

As a complete side note, I don't think it's fair to describe the issue within the frum community as "the hate towards those that do things DIFFERENTLY than us". Please be fair. I don't want to get into it now but the problem that some had with others was not because they were doing things "differently". It's because some felt that others were endangering lives. That's a far cry from "different".

Exactly right. The differences of opinions and the hate as a result is what bothers me. Instead of this strengthening us as a nation, which happened in our history during dark times, we had quite the opposite outcome. And that is why it’s hard to see the positive here.

freilich

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly right. The differences of opinions and the hate as a result is what bothers me. Instead of this strengthening us as a nation, which happened in our history during dark times, we had quite the opposite outcome. And that is why it’s hard to see the positive here.

Just want to point out, דתן ועבירום, where’nt exactly working together for Shalom. Neither where all the inside מותרים from the shtetl life.

Human nature tend to romanticize the past. We have struggles in this area now, as we had then.

We will iyh come out of this hardship stronger and better.

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:44 am
There is nothing positive about a pandemic and it can and should be viewed negatively but many people took the lemons and made lemonade and extracted the vitamin emunah from that. As bad as it was and still is, some good has emerged from it, however, we are not all in the same boat and it didn't affect everyone equally.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:03 pm
Rebbetzin Ruthie Halberstadt has said something that people should hear: There is Refaeinu and Modim. They are two different brachos and mindsets, separated by other brachos. We humans cannot be in Refaeinu and Modim modes at the same time.

I will say this: getting into Modim mode may not be easy, but it's important. Both are important, essential.

zaq

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:13 pm
Back when I was a kid there was a radio preacher whose favorite line was "everywhere I go I see SIN!" Being a smart-aleck who loved talking back to the radio, I would retort " that's because you're going to all the wrong places!"

I see amazing things. more online shiurim and chizzuk every day than you could watch in a week; dedicated volunteers sweating to deliver food to the aged; people volunteering to shop for those who can't get out; wonderfully talented people boosting morale with their Youtube spoofs and other humor; the guy who goes out on his fire escape to play his accordion for the entertainment of the neighborhood; the Unemployment Insurance people working overtime to get money to those who need it, to say nothing of our healthcare and other workers who literally risk their lives to go to work every day.

If all you see is sin, maybe you're looking in all the wrong places.

behappy2

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That is our Bechirah.

behappy2

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:32 pm
zaq wrote:
Back when I was a kid there was a radio preacher whose favorite line was "everywhere I go I see SIN!" Being a smart-aleck who loved talking back to the radio, I would retort " that's because you're going to all the wrong places!"

I see amazing things. more online shiurim and chizzuk every day than you could watch in a week; dedicated volunteers sweating to deliver food to the aged; people volunteering to shop for those who can't get out; wonderfully talented people boosting morale with their Youtube spoofs and other humor; the guy who goes out on his fire escape to play his accordion for the entertainment of the neighborhood; the Unemployment Insurance people working overtime to get money to those who need it, to say nothing of our healthcare and other workers who literally risk their lives to go to work every day.

I love this!!

iyar

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:52 pm
zaq wrote:

Maybe that's a little harsh?
I don't know if OP is looking in the wrong places. These are hard times. Some people suffered losses of people they love, some are struggling with lost income, some losing their minds from having kids home all day (not that I'm comparing any of those, just saying- all hard to deal with to different degrees).
It's hard to see the positive when you're hurting.
But no question we're racking up a lot of zchuyos these days. I'm thinking of all of us making Pesach under very unusual (to put it mildly) circumstances. There were people who made sedarim alone but the point is- they still made a Seder, saying, drinking, eating, dipping, everything they were supposed to all alone. I don't know anyone who said- kids are home, or I have no cleaning help, or I'm too stressed, or my hotel was cancelled- so this year we'll skip it.

zaq

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:28 pm
I stand by my post. It's silly to be a Pollyanna and chirp that everything is wonderful and couldn't be better when that is clearly untrue, but if a person sees ONLY the negative and cannot see a single thing positive, then she's not looking hard enough. Especially since OP was talking less about poverty, unemployment and bittul education than about social sins of a type that is nothing new. Being negative or positive is a CHOICE.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know and truly believe that Hashem makes no mistakes and everything He does is for our greater good. I’m just having such a hard time believing or seeing anything good in this situation. Firstly the horrific amount of tragic deaths we’ve faced was beyond traumatic. And if tzaros haklal was supposed to bring us closer to each other it actually did quite the opposite. People keep bashing each other’s behaviors during the lockdown. I probably heard more lashon hora these past few weeks than my whole life. The hate towards those that do differently than us can be sliced with a knife. Let’s not even mention the chillul Hashem going on. The kids are all losing out academically, socially, mentally and spiritually. I seriously don’t see ::any positives in these dark times. Makes me so depressed!
tj)

Why do you think you should be able to see Exactly how everything Hashem does is good? This is one of life’s greatest challenges, being able to maintain emunah even when we see tragedies happen. Only Hashem knows what’s good and right and we don’t understand. This is where you have to build up your emunah. Try reading some good books on the subject.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics