Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Its sad

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 10:53 pm
My 16 year old became very addicted to smoking ,( dont ask how please as its self understood, can be friends , teen years ect.) Bottom line at this point he is very addictive to it. (vape whatever its called) we spoke many times to him about the affects it can leave . Now it really started bothering him and he is dying to stop , he just feels he needs it just like oxygen. Its very sad. So young , and he is crazy addicted like maybe 3 boxes a day . He's the only one in our family that does it . (Their will always be one in a family thats little different )
he sees a therapist, so far it seems like a lost case . Im very sad for him . His therapist claims he is too addicted right now just to expect him to stop . yet I wish he atleast starts to limit it. He takes zoloft he claims the smoking helps him relax more . He does suffer from high anxiety.

Anyone can understand me or feel me ???

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:34 am
Is this therapist experienced with addictions?

Hugs! And davening. It's not necessarily hopeless.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:09 am
Therapy is great support for addiction quitting and anxiety but cures neither. Quitting cold turkey is great as far as effectiveness in the right environment with the support to get through and cbd, and a host of other natural anti anxiety helpers can take the edge off, can do a search for natural ways to curb anxiety. From my personal experience severe anxiety with addiction that soothes is very tough to make much of a dent in to cut slowly.

I dont know if my opinion will be helpful but good for you for getting him the expensive help he needs.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:35 am
Vape and cigarettes are not the same, just for reference. Vape is way more dangerous.

One of my family members used to smoke 2 packs a day +. Cigarettes. He realized that the only way for him to stop would be cold turkey so he did it that way. The first few weeks were the roughest. He chewed a lot of gum and candy to keep his mouth moving.

Make sure he is working with a therapist that is experienced with addiction and just support him whichever path he chooses to take.

cbsp

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:42 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
Vape and cigarettes are not the same, just for reference. Vape is way more dangerous.

One of my family members used to smoke 2 packs a day +. Cigarettes. He realized that the only way for him to stop would be cold turkey so he did it that way. The first few weeks were the roughest. He chewed a lot of gum and candy to keep his mouth moving.

Make sure he is working with a therapist that is experienced with addiction and just support him whichever path he chooses to take.

Why is vaping way more dangerous as compared to cigarettes?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:26 am
cbsp wrote:
Why is vaping way more dangerous as compared to cigarettes?

Because you inhale heavy metals, and other aerosolized garbage like the flavors that settle in the lungs in addition to the nicotine addiction & intake. Smoke itself shockingly is proving safer.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:30 am
Op would he be willing to try nicotine patch and cut down on the actual smoking?

cbsp

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:33 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Because you inhale heavy metals, and other aerosolized garbage like the flavors that settle in the lungs in addition to the nicotine addiction & intake. Smoke itself shockingly is proving safer.

I didn't know that.

Is it the same danger for second hand?

I ask because my DS has a lung condition and the pulmonologist until recently held off condemning vaping. Now they're finally condemning vaping as well but it's hard to research when the data being compared is apples and oranges.

OP, I was going to ask if it's the nicotine that's the addiction or the act of the vaping that's the draw. Since the "juice" can be made individually maybe a less toxic juice can at least ensure its not a chemical dependency. But if what Tangerine is claiming is true then there's a problem with even a nicotine (or worse) - free juice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics