Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Tips for using electric stove (coil)?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 6:00 pm
Hello! I've never used an electric stove before and the apartment that my husband and I are renting has electric coil stoves. What advice would you give to someone who has only ever used gas stoves and has to switch? Any tips? Thanks so much!

amother
Green

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 6:08 pm
Not knowing how good your gas stove is, there will probably be some difference in how fast things come to boil.

But the MAJOR difference is that when you turn down the gas, it's not as hot anymore. When you turn down the electric burner, the burner stays just as hot for a while. So you'll need to watch more carefully, turn things down earlier, or remove them from the burner altogether.

Other than that, they are stoves! Allow yourself to get used to it, and expect some burns, overflows, and other mistakes.

Mazel Tov on your move!

Amarante

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:36 am
As posted, the most significant difference between gas and electric, is that electric takes a bit longer to heat up or cool down but that is not a huge problem once you get used to it. Generally if there is something that needs to immediately go to a lower temp I slide it off the burner for a minute or so. If you are sautéing or searing meat, make sure to preheat the pan as you don't want to start foods off in a cold pan as a general rule.

And there are also definite benefits to an electric stove as it is much better for simmering than a gas since it excels at a low even heat versus a gas flames which often don't go as low as an electric can.

But delicious food can be prepared on either kind of stove. I have always enjoyed when professional chefs show what they cook up in their less than fantastic home kitchens. This is especially true of chefs in places like NYC where kitchens are small and often have old appliances. Very Happy

iyar

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:24 am
I wanted to add since Yom Tov is coming -
Using an electric stove on Yom Tov is very different. Turning on a flame, turning a flame up and down don’t work the same way. It would be a good idea to call a Rav soon so you’re familiar with the halachos in advance.

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:31 am
You can also turn the heat off a few minutes before things are fully cooked and it will stay hot enough for them to finish cooking with no extra electricity.

cbsp

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:45 am
iyar wrote:
I wanted to add since Yom Tov is coming -
Using an electric stove on Yom Tov is very different. Turning on a flame, turning a flame up and down don’t work the same way. It would be a good idea to call a Rav soon so you’re familiar with the halachos in advance.

My brother at one point rigged up indicator lights on his electric range to see when the burner was "on" so he could adjust it on Yom Tov.

Keep in mind you won't be able to use the "flame" to light candles for a second (or third) day of yontif. (well, I've seen people take a napkin or match and hold it to the red hot coil to ignite. AYLOR).

Also keep in mind that you won't be able to turn on a burner during yontif.

Kashering is different as well. AYLOR once again.

But as Amarante said there are culinary benefits as well, you just need to suss out the differences and use them to your advantage.

Enjoy!

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:57 am
Quote:
Keep in mind you won't be able to use the "flame" to light candles for a second (or third) day of yontif. (well, I've seen people take a napkin or match and hold it to the red hot coil to ignite. AYLOR). 

That sounds like creating a new flame rather than transferring an existing flame. Definitely sounds like a sheilah, at the very least.

cbsp

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:05 am
Elfrida wrote:
Quote:

That sounds like creating a new flame rather than transferring an existing flame. Definitely sounds like a sheilah, at the very least.

Yah. Agreed. It looked odd to me.

But who was I to argue when they told me they asked a shaylah? I think the rationale is that a glowing red coil has the halachic status as a flame.

So that's why I'm mentioning it here. AYLOR

iyar

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:39 am
Elfrida wrote:
Quote:

You're right- it's a sheilah. It's a good idea to have a yahrtzeit candle burning for your flame for second night candle lighting. Some say it's okay and still falls into the parameters of being ma'avir eish me'eish but you really have to ask about that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen