Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Is it possible my bird died from Covid-19?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:02 pm
My bird died and I'm wondering if it died from corona virus?

This bird was very young, a baby, expected to live many more years.

Could it be that the bird got coronavirus and died from it?

Genius

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:14 pm
Was it coughing? Did it smell?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:15 pm
Did any of you Have it? Can you get it tested?

Genius

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:24 pm
I thought babies don’t get it. Maybe it was secretly old. Or the animal kingdom has different guidelines. Did you google it?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:43 pm
genius wrote:
Was it coughing? Did it smell?

LOL

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:48 pm
Was it quarantined?

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:50 pm
I’m sorry for your loss!

(Edited to remove a joke which might’ve hurt OP. I apologize.)

Last edited by ExtraCredit on Thu, May 21 2020, 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

pause

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 11:57 pm
Some tigers in the Bronx Zoo were infected with Covid, so hey, y'never know.

soap suds

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:30 am
I thought they said that pets can't get infected? They were probably referring to dogs and cats though, so I don't know about birds.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:33 am
pause wrote:
Some tigers in the Bronx Zoo were infected with Covid, so hey, y'never know.

Tigers are mammals.

Hey, it’s possible the bird died of covid. It’s also possible someone put a curse on the bird but I doubt either is the cause.

I’m sorry for the loss of your pet, OP.

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:42 am
My sister has had birds for years and if it dies as a baby it may be the fault of the breeder.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:02 am
Did you self-clean the oven where the bird could inhale the fumes?
Seriously, that can kill a bird.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:22 am
AFAIK, this coronavirus only affects mammals. I'm sorry for your loss, OP, but it is extremely unlikely for this to have been COVID-19.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:32 am
Could have died of any disease. I've kept parakeets and chickens in the past and every now and then one of them would die, not always for a clear reason.

Amother Mint has a point above - self cleaning ovens and coated non-stick pans emit fumes, when heated up, that are harmless for humans but very toxic to birds.
Exposure to air draughts or cold air conditioning can also be harmful to birds.

Most likely it wasn't Covid 19 - haven't read anywhere that birds can get infected, only mammals so far.
Sorry for your loss.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:40 am
call your vet

sorry for your loss!

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:15 am
Sure its possible. But could be other things. I am sorry.

The heartless comments from posters above who think it is humourous is appaling to me. All life is Gd created. No it is not the same as human life, but it is life nonetheless.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:10 am
OP, I'm so sorry for your loss. We're still learning a lot about this virus. Did anyone in your household have it? If so, it might be worth calling your vet to check if they'd be willing to test the bird. It would definitely be good for science to know if a bird could catch it or not.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:20 am
OP, I’m sorry for your loss. That’s so upsetting. There are so many illnesses that could kill animals so it would be hard to know. But maybe a vet could test it and see what the cause of death was. Not sure if you want to go through that trouble though. My DS has many animals including birds and if they ever die for whatever reason , it really hurts him and causes him pain. So I could understand the way you feel.

To the posters above, it is very hurtful and painful to a pet owner when their pet passes away. It is a part of them that gets ripped away from them. Making fun and sarcastic comments is extremely hurtful and callous to the pet owner. Please keep this in mind for the future. Even if you don’t care for animals there are people out there who do and who develop a strong and unique bond with the animals. They need to go through the same grieving process as one does over a human loss. This is no joke.

jflower

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:07 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
OP, I’m sorry for your loss. That’s so upsetting. There are so many illnesses that could kill animals so it would be hard to know. But maybe a vet could test it and see what the cause of death was. Not sure if you want to go through that trouble though. My DS has many animals including birds and if they ever die for whatever reason , it really hurts him and causes him pain. So I could understand the way you feel.

To the posters above, it is very hurtful and painful to a pet owner when their pet passes away. It is a part of them that gets ripped away from them. Making fun and sarcastic comments is extremely hurtful and callous to the pet owner. Please keep this in mind for the future. Even if you don’t care for animals there are people out there who do and who develop a strong and unique bond with the animals. They need to go through the same grieving process as one does over a human loss. This is no joke.

Thunderstorm, this was beautifully written. I totally agree and was taken aback by some of the hurtful comments. Kol hakavod to you.

zaq

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:58 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Did you self-clean the oven where the bird could inhale the fumes?
Seriously, that can kill a bird.

So can using teflon coated cookware esp. if you use high heat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics