Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Face masks in schools
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:42 pm
I am having a hard time understanding how people keep saying that schools will require face masks, as if that is a viable and functional plan. There is no way younger kids are keeping a face mask on for 6-8 hours a day and not taking it off. And that is even kids without sensory issues. Some of my DCs have mild sensory issues (not enough to seriously interfere with their functioning under normal circumstances), and there is no way they will manage more than an hour or so of wearing a mask. I myself find the masks extremely uncomfortable and hard on my breathing, and I have no idea how I would continuously project my voice and interact with a classroom full of students while wearing a mask.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am having a hard time understanding how people keep saying that schools will require face masks, as if that is a viable and functional plan. There is no way younger kids are keeping a face mask on for 6-8 hours a day and not taking it off. And that is even kids without sensory issues. Some of my DCs have mild sensory issues (not enough to seriously interfere with their functioning under normal circumstances), and there is no way they will manage more than an hour or so of wearing a mask. I myself find the masks extremely uncomfortable and hard on my breathing, and I have no idea how I would continuously project my voice and interact with a classroom full of students while wearing a mask.

It's not realistic. People will start wearing masks at school and then slowly stop. It appears that no one involved in the guidance has kids, has ever been in a school, or has ever interacted with children.
I was planning on sending my 3 year old to daycare next year but now I'm leaning towards keeping him home with my newborn and babysitter for another year because there's no way he'll wear a mask and there's no way I'm forcing the issue with him. I can barely get him to wear shoes.

octopus

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:49 pm
I actually think it's dangerous for children to wear face masks for an extended period of time

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:23 pm
Just the idea of making kids wear masks pisses me off. Maybe handcuffs too so they won't spread germs with their hands?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:05 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
It's not realistic. People will start wearing masks at school and then slowly stop. It appears that no one involved in the guidance has kids, has ever been in a school, or has ever interacted with children.
I was planning on sending my 3 year old to daycare next year but now I'm leaning towards keeping him home with my newborn and babysitter for another year because there's no way he'll wear a mask and there's no way I'm forcing the issue with him. I can barely get him to wear shoes.

There are schools that do this currently.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:06 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
There are schools that do this currently.

Maybe in countries that are used to wearing masks. Not in the US

OBnursemom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:08 pm
octopus wrote:
I actually think it's dangerous for children to wear face masks for an extended period of time

It’s not dangerous unless they’re under 2, cannot remove it themselves, or have a respiratory condition. The CDC however does acknowledge that younger children are unlikely to wear face masks for long lengths of time. Look up their standards. On their website. Not the memes that are going around.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:10 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Just the idea of making kids wear masks pisses me off. Maybe handcuffs too so they won't spread germs with their hands?

Cool. When no one wears masks and the rate of infections go up, we’re all going to be homeschooling. Super happy everyone is going to follow the rules.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:10 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

The point is that children can get used to wearing masks.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:11 pm
Here in Israel children from 6 and up have to wear masks, not under that.
The last three days we have had an intense heat wave so the masks were ruled to come off, but before that, school started for a few grades this week. And yes, they had to wear masks. From 1-12 grade. And I know that most kids are wearing them. Of course not all, and some take them off some times and some wear them all of the time, but if it is what they are used to and told to do, and teachers will enforce this, it can work. And has overall so far here.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:12 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Most countries are not used to wearing masks. That is new for most places in the world.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:13 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Here in Israel children from 6 and up have to wear masks, not under that.
The last three days we have had an intense heat wave so the masks were ruled to come off, but before that, school started for a few grades this week. And yes, they had to wear masks. From 1-12 grade. And I know that most kids are wearing them. Of course not all, and some take them off some times and some wear them all of the time, but if it is what they are used to and told to do, and teachers will enforce this, it can work. And has overall so far here.

6 and up is a lot different from 2 and up. There is just no way my 3 year old will wear a mask. Like it’s impossible

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:16 pm
This can be very traumatic for children. As an adult, it's hard to breathe and speak with it on. People should not be in a rush to open school when a mask is still necessary. This is absolutely ridiculous and I hope it wont happen and is not a fact.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:17 pm
Learning on zoom is healthier than sitting in school with a mask on. Absolutely absurd. While taking physical health into account, the people who make up these rules need to consider mental health as well.
This makes me really upset.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:18 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
Cool. When no one wears masks and the rate of infections go up, we’re all going to be homeschooling. Super happy everyone is going to follow the rules.

I will do my best to follow whatever rules there are, but honestly not sure my kids will manage with masks all day and I may have to consider keeping them home. I am just surprised that many people don't see any issue with mandating that all children wear masks all day. Or maybe it's just those who are fortunate not to have any sensory issues.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:20 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Learning on zoom is healthier than sitting in school with a mask on. Absolutely absurd. While taking physical health into account, the people who make up these rules need to consider mental health as well.

They do.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:22 pm
As an adult I’m not sure how I’m going to wear a mask all day while talking loudly enough that the kids can hear me through the mask. And I have to talk all day because I’m not allowed to have the kids sit and work with a partner, and most of them won’t be able to make themselves loud enough for everyone to hear me through the mask.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:23 pm
That is part of it, opening the schools. In order to be able to open the economy and have people be able to go back to work, and improve many people's mental health, they have to open the schools as well, so that children have place to go during the day.
Zoom classes are not always so pashut. My daughter has a girl in her class with 12 other siblings. A few are in high school and they only have one computer at home. So the high schoolers get first call for the computer. This girl was not able to do any zoom classes the entire time they were home. And others work with their computers and the kids couldnt use them. It was not all around so pashut.

amother
OP

Yes, thank you for understanding/expressing how I am feeling. I'm glad I am not the only one who would rather see my kids learning on Zoom at home rather than being in school in an environment where everyone is stressed out about masks etc. Of course everyone's situation is different and kids differ from each other, but that would be much healthier for my kids. Not that either option is ideal of course.

OBnursemom

amother [ OP ] wrote:
I will do my best to follow whatever rules there are, but honestly not sure my kids will manage with masks all day and I may have to consider keeping them home. I am just surprised that many people don't see any issue with mandating that all children wear masks all day. Or maybe it's just those who are fortunate not to have any sensory issues.

No one thinks this is optimal. In fact, the CDC says point blank on their website that the best thing to do is stay home and learn via distance learning. They are faced with angry mobs who want everything to open right now. So they are trying to work out how that could happen without significantly increasing the infection rate or triggering a second wave. They’re a public health organization, what should they do? Throw up their arms and say they don’t care, let’s just bring on the second wave? Where’s your MPH degree? Or your doctorate in infectious diseases? And what are your infection prevention strategies?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics