Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Face masks in schools
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:26 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Just the idea of making kids wear masks pisses me off. Maybe handcuffs too so they won't spread germs with their hands?

So what is your answer?

Should schools remain closed?

Or should teachers be put at risk? Look at what's happening in Israel.

BTW, are you or your DH teachers?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
It's not realistic. People will start wearing masks at school and then slowly stop. It appears that no one involved in the guidance has kids, has ever been in a school, or has ever interacted with children.
I was planning on sending my 3 year old to daycare next year but now I'm leaning towards keeping him home with my newborn and babysitter for another year because there's no way he'll wear a mask and there's no way I'm forcing the issue with him. I can barely get him to wear shoes.

Don't worry. I have a legal daycare and I emailed the OCFS wondering why the letter that the DOE/DOHMH put out regarding masks for kids over 2 wasn't sent to us providers. Heres what she said

"Thank you for your email- we know these requirements cause a great deal of strain on providers and families, and that they can be difficult to comply with. I know that OCFS at the state level has put out language that places these DOHMH and DOE guidelines in perspective a bit; they acknowledge it is incredibly difficult to enforce face coverings and social distancing in a child care program, but urge all providers to do what they can."

The OCFS has only told us that the staff has to wear masks for now so they will clearly NOT be enforcing putting masks on kids.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:27 pm
I saw the rules. If it really does come into effect as much as I am having a super hard time now, I will not be sending them to school next year if these rules are in affect. They should you going to school, not prison.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:30 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
So what is your answer?

yes, school should remain closed until it's safe to go back to school.
You don't require little children to go to school in masks.
It's not my problem that people are angry and impatient and need things to open NOW.
Sometimes you need to wait and do what's smart and realistic for everyone involved.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:32 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
No one thinks this is optimal. In fact, the CDC says point blank on their website that the best thing to do is stay home and learn via distance learning. They are faced with angry mobs who want everything to open right now. So they are trying to work out how that could happen without significantly increasing the infection rate or triggering a second wave. They’re a public health organization, what should they do? Throw up their arms and say they don’t care, let’s just bring on the second wave? Where’s your MPH degree? Or your doctorate in infectious diseases? And what are your infection prevention strategies?

Never on this thread did I say I have a better idea or that we should open schools without masks when it isn't safe to do so. Keep the schools closed for all I care if that is the safest. I was just expressing surprise that people do not qualify statements about children (or adults) wearing masks with further discussion or explanation such as options for students who are not able to manage with masks all day to continue joining classes via Zoom or something like that. It makes me feel like there is something wrong with me and my kids that I would rather continue to stay home than resume "normal life" constantly wearing a mask.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:35 pm
If they feel that people still need to wear masks, that means there is still a high risk and everything needs to remain CLOSED.
Yes, it's hard to be home with kids. It's very difficult to never get a break.
But that's not a reason to open school.

octopus

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:46 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
It’s not dangerous unless they’re under 2, cannot remove it themselves, or have a respiratory condition. The CDC however does acknowledge that younger children are unlikely to wear face masks for long lengths of time. Look up their standards. On their website. Not the memes that are going around.

Tell that to the parents of the two kids that died doing gym class with face masks on. I know what the CDC says. And they keep changing everything. I don't need someone to parrot to me what they say or don't say. So the minute my kid turns two it is safe to wear a mask but not the day before? This is baloney.

keym

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:51 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
yes, school should remain closed until it's safe to go back to school.
You don't require little children to go to school in masks.
It's not my problem that people are angry and impatient and need things to open NOW.
Sometimes you need to wait and do what's smart and realistic for everyone involved.

In NJ, Murphy is saying that it won't be safe to go back to school until there's a vaccine or effective therapeutic. So maybe never.
But until then, schools may possibly open with masks.
You understand that unless schools and daycares open, a huge portion of the country can't go back to work. Unemployment can only last for so long.
So whether it's July or September 2020, January 2021 or September 2021, eventually schools do need to open up even if masks are required.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 3:51 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
If they feel that people still need to wear masks, that means there is still a high risk and everything needs to remain CLOSED.
Yes, it's hard to be home with kids. It's very difficult to never get a break.
But that's not a reason to open school.

You're only considering epidemiology and not the economic health of the world.

Realistically, many people work outside the home and cannot do so if their kids are home.

So, once the curve is sufficiently flattened wherever you are, kids will probably go back to school, people will go back to work. Extra precautions (masks, SD, etc.) will be put into place and outbreaks will inevitably occur here and there, but as long as the numbers are kept under control, if will go on. Lockdowns will be imposed only if necessary.

In parallel, testing will improve, therapeutics will be developed, maybe even a vaccine (B"H). It will taper off eventually.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:01 pm
octopus wrote:
Tell that to the parents of the two kids that died doing gym class with face masks on. I know what the CDC says. And they keep changing everything. I don't need someone to parrot to me what they say or don't say. So the minute my kid turns two it is safe to wear a mask but not the day before? This is baloney.

Anecdotes and data are not the same thing. Do you know their entire medical history? A story with no details tells me nothing. Who is parroting now? And no kids don’t magically put on masks when they turn 2.

octopus

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:09 pm
So why is the Kawasaki disease which is anecdotal evidence viewed as data? Correlation doesn't equal causation.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:23 pm
So what is your answer?

Schools should open. Let kids be kids. A teacher who is not willing to take the risks should find a different occupation or teach online. Children need to come first, period.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:35 pm
So what is your answer?

I'm in an occupation that sees at least as many people in close contact with me as a teacher sees, and I'd be happy for everyone to drop the masks.

What are you referring to in Israel? I live in Israel and recall reading about 1 teacher getting Corona since schools reopened. That's statistically insignificant.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:59 pm
octopus wrote:
So why is the Kawasaki disease which is anecdotal evidence viewed as data? Correlation doesn't equal causation.

They changed the name. It’s not Kawasaki disease. AFAIK it’s called MIS-C or multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children. It’s an emerging trend occurring in the same population all over the country. They’re learning about it like they did with COVID (very slowly, in cooperation with other health professionals). The studies on it are observational because you can’t randomize this stuff. Two kids with unknown medical history doing poorly wearing masks is not a trend.

Last edited by OBnursemom on Thu, May 21 2020, 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

OBnursemom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:03 pm
If you’re talking about the two Chinese boys. My impressions are that running laps outside in the heat wearing a mask is silly. If they’re more than 6 feet apart, they probably should have lowered their masks while running. In my state, you don’t have to wear a mask outside unless you’re right near someone and you can take it off after you’ve passed them. Also I wonder if they’ve ever had a sports physical. Sudden deaths during sports are often undiagnosed cardiac disorders. They are exactly the reason for sports physicals- to prevent such deaths.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:03 pm
I'm in an occupation that sees at least as many people in close contact with me as a teacher sees, and I'd be happy for everyone to drop the masks.

What are you referring to in Israel? I live in Israel and recall reading about 1 teacher getting Corona since schools reopened. That's statistically insignificant.
NO, it was more. I cant find the news story now, but it was also a few kids and children of a teacher. Its not just one case, but I think that it was impossible to have no cases as schools open here.
One school in rehovot had to close because of this.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:04 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
NO, it was more. I cant find the news story now, but it was also a few kids and children of a teacher. Its not just one case, but I think that it was impossible to have no cases as schools open here.
One school in rehovot had to close because of this.

https://www.jewishpress.com/ne.....5/20/

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:04 pm
The question is realistically how many kids would do this, Even if it’s just high school and middle school, When the majority of their parents aren’t doing it either.

I went shopping 3 times in the past 3 weeks (when mask wearing in public spaces that you can’t SD in is officially the rule in NY) and I was one of the only people wearing a mask.
The rest were either chin wearing it or had their noses out (pointless. And stupid).

So yes my kidS will wear a mask if they Have to but I don’t trust anyone else in their class to do so.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:10 pm
Schools should open. Let kids be kids. A teacher who is not willing to take the risks should find a different occupation or teach online. Children need to come first, period.

As a teacher, I agree with this. I will not wear a mask while teaching. I might pretend to, if necessary, by wearing it on my chin, but I will not cover half my face when talking to 30 children. And yes I am ready to go back to teach yesterday.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:12 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
As a teacher, I agree with this. I will not wear a mask while teaching. I might pretend to, if necessary, by wearing it on my chin, but I will not cover half my face when talking to 30 children. And yes I am ready to go back to teach yesterday.

What school do you teach at? If you teach at my kids’ school I’m not sending them back.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics