Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Face masks in schools
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

keym

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:12 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
As a teacher, I agree with this. I will not wear a mask while teaching. I might pretend to, if necessary, by wearing it on my chin, but I will not cover half my face when talking to 30 children. And yes I am ready to go back to teach yesterday.

How old are you?
How high risk are you?

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:13 pm
keym wrote:
How old are you?
How high risk are you?

I am 33 and assuming low risk. I already had coronavirus, I think.

octopus

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:14 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
They changed the name. It’s not Kawasaki disease. AFAIK it’s called MIS-C or multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children. It’s an emerging trend occurring in the same population all over the country. They’re learning about it like they did with COVID (very slowly, in cooperation with other health professionals). The studies on it are observational because you can’t randomize this stuff. Two kids with unknown medical history doing poorly wearing masks is not a trend.

I appreciate the time you took with that response. I have another question. If you really work in obstetrics (as per your screen name) has there been a rise in miscarriages in your line of work. I'm reading anecdotally there has been a rise since covid19 started. Have you seen the same?

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:15 pm
All the classes in my boys' cheder are getting together daily to learn with their rebbi in different shuls/basements except two classes because those two rebbis are high risk, so they're still doing a hotline.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:18 pm
Of course its unrealistic to expect children of any age to keep their masks on ALL the time when in school. Its almost unrealistic to expect the teachers to do the same. Ftr I'm a nurse in a hospital and I can tell you that many staff member have lowered their masks at times during a 12 hours shift (outside of patient rooms). I feel like we have to take both the physical and emotional challenges onto consideration. Yes, it's difficult to wear a mask for an extended period of time but it's also not emotionally healthy for children to have very limited social interaction for an extended period of time.
Also, I doubt schools will be in session for a full day because it's extremely difficult to make lunch time safe.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:22 pm
As a teacher, I agree with this. I will not wear a mask while teaching. I might pretend to, if necessary, by wearing it on my chin, but I will not cover half my face when talking to 30 children. And yes I am ready to go back to teach yesterday.

Not ok. Yes, this is a difficult situation for everyone and it is far from ideal. But if schools open and masks are required the very least that you can do as a teacher is be a good role model for your students. I can assure you that if you arent wearing a mask your students won't either.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:24 pm
octopus wrote:
I appreciate the time you took with that response. I have another question. If you really work in obstetrics (as per your screen name) has there been a rise in miscarriages in your line of work. I'm reading anecdotally there has been a rise since covid19 started. Have you seen the same?

I haven’t personally (read: my unit hasn’t seen) an increase in miscarriages. We don’t deal with miscarriages on L&D before the second trimester anyway. Before 15ish weeks or so, they’re GYN or it’s managed at home. My understanding is that data isn’t really there to say anything one way or the other. Fevers in early pregnancy can cause miscarriage or birth defects. Fevers in later pregnancy could really be a uterine infection. Many women run fevers during labor. There are so many things muddling the picture, I wish I could give you a better answer.

Last edited by OBnursemom on Thu, May 21 2020, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tan

amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Of course its unrealistic to expect children of any age to keep their masks on ALL the time when in school. Its almost unrealistic to expect the teachers to do the same. Ftr I'm a nurse in a hospital and I can tell you that many staff member have lowered their masks at times during a 12 hours shift (outside of patient rooms). I feel like we have to take both the physical and emotional challenges onto consideration. Yes, it's difficult to wear a mask for an extended period of time but it's also not emotionally healthy for children to have very limited social interaction for an extended period of time.
Also, I doubt schools will be in session for a full day because it's extremely difficult to make lunch time safe.

I never understand the lunch problem. Why can't they just eat lunch in their classroom with their class?

amother
OP

Thank you for this realistic and sensible post. That is exactly what I would think we should be hearing from those who are making the decisions and plans for the future. An acknowledgment that it's not really realistic for a full school day etc., and alternate options like a shorter school day or other suggestions. Not blanket statements that everyone will have to wear masks in school all day, as if that is a totally realistic and manageable possibility.

keym

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:25 pm

I'm curious. Is there any way to make lunch/snack safe.
Because schools and daycares open half day are great for getting the kids out of the house or structured, but not a real answer for parents who require childcare. And without childcare, the economy cannot really open up.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:30 pm
keym wrote:
I'm curious. Is there any way to make lunch/snack safe.
Because schools and daycares open half day are great for getting the kids out of the house or structured, but not a real answer for parents who require childcare. And without childcare, the economy cannot really open up.

In my area I have heard that daycares will be opening with very few kids per class. The providers but not the children will be required to wear a mask. I think that the assumption is that the kids will all be exposed to only the other children in the classroom. In this situation lunch and snacktimes would not be a problem. Schools are a much bigger problem since the ratio of teachers to students is so much higher.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:30 pm
My DDs camp sent out an email stating that they still don't have word on if camps are opening or not but if one of the requirements is that the campers need to wear masks - then they will not open, as they feel that is not a way to run a camp.

keym

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:36 pm
In my area I have heard that daycares will be opening with very few kids per class. The providers but not the children will be required to wear a mask. I think that the assumption is that the kids will all be exposed to only the other children in the classroom. In this situation lunch and snacktimes would not be a problem. Schools are a much bigger problem since the ratio of teachers to students is so much higher.

Ok, daycares can safely open, when it's allowed.
But schools are not just for academics. It is a form of childcare. And part time opening doesn't work for hundreds of parents, especially lower income ones.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for this realistic and sensible post. That is exactly what I would think we should be hearing from those who are making the decisions and plans for the future. An acknowledgment that it's not really realistic for a full school day etc., and alternate options like a shorter school day or other suggestions. Not blanket statements that everyone will have to wear masks in school all day, as if that is a totally realistic and manageable possibility.

I think that whoever is in charge of creating safe policies in order to allow schools to open are having a difficult time. They have to abide by CDC guidelines but at the same time I do believe that even the policymakers are having a hard time combining safety and realism. The standards that I have seen in my area for daycamps and daycares have mandatory guidelines and suggestions. The ratio of children to staff is mandatory but not everything else is so strict (ie masks). This might work for some daycamps and daycares but I dont see this being feasible for schools.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:40 pm
keym wrote:
Ok, daycares can safely open, when it's allowed.
But schools are not just for academics. It is a form of childcare. And part time opening doesn't work for hundreds of parents, especially lower income ones.

I completely agree! I just dont know if there is a safe way to open schools that will satisfy parents in terms if childcare. Everyone's goal is to eventually open schools in a safe way. There might have to be a phase-in process where schools open in a very restrictive manner and slowly increase hours and student to teacher ratio so long as things remain stable.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:28 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
What school do you teach at? If you teach at my kids’ school I’m not sending them back.

Don't worry, my students aren't SD anymore for awhile .

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:26 pm
I didn’t read all the replies but I’m with you OP. School is stressful for kids on a good day, you throw masks into the picture and forget it.
Remote learning as crazy as it is, is a far better option than masks. That is just insane!! No kid of mine is going to wear a mask to school. Honestly it’s cruel to make kids do that . Besides the fact that with all the readjusting of the masks they will be better off without touching their face so often.
I doubt whoever made this rules has seen a live child in the past 50 years Banging head Banging head

notshanarishona

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:43 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I never understand the lunch problem. Why can't they just eat lunch in their classroom with their class?

Someone has to bring all the food up stairs to the kids, someone needs to clean up afterwards which is difficult with the kids in the classroom, it would create a lot of extra jobs / make more of a mess.
Additionally, lets say a kid wants seconds. A staff member would have to walk them downstairs to get from the lunchroom. Its just not practical in many schools.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:54 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Someone has to bring all the food up stairs to the kids, someone needs to clean up afterwards which is difficult with the kids in the classroom, it would create a lot of extra jobs / make more of a mess.
Additionally, lets say a kid wants seconds. A staff member would have to walk them downstairs to get from the lunchroom. Its just not practical in many schools.

In my kids school they bring their own lunch so I guess it’s less of a problem.

DrMom

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:34 am

I totally understand why wearing a mask is really uncomfortable. I hate masks.

But if I were a parent sending my child to your classroom, I assume I would have received assurances that the staff will be wearing masks, so for you to just ignore the rules is creating a lack of trust between parents and the school.

Better to be straightforward about your intentions than to agree to wear a mask and then not do it.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics