Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Anyone doing better financially now bec of all the programs?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:51 pm
Just curious bec my friend was just discussing with me how much better she is doing financially , and although I know the majority of people are doing worse unfortunately, I was woundering how common it is to do be doing better... Are some programs a waste of money/not being give out with good guildlines?

She said that she's doing better bec:

-she's making around $200 more a week with the pedemic unemployment
- not paying a babysitter
- not paying for transportation to work
- her kids go to two diff schools and they drop off food by her (and they give alot of food). She only needs to buy supper and some odds and ends. And now with the money coming in soon for kids lunchs she won't have to spend at all.
-On top of that she got the stimulus check

giselle

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 4:57 pm
I’m happy for her, but it’s a recipe for economic disaster that people who used to make a lot are not getting enough and these people are getting extra. Because those who used to make more have higher mortgages to pay etc and now won’t be able to pay their bills.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:01 pm
By the same token there are people making a lot of money before and making a ton of money still.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:16 pm
I’m doing better off but not because of the programs. In fact I don’t get any programs (besides for the school sending a bit of food).
We’re doing better because my husbands line of work is essential and he’s been overloaded. It’s good bh at the same time it means he’s working all day and I’m dealing with home life. Catch22 lol.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:19 pm
We're doing much better. DH is in the right industry. He got a nice bonus. Expenses have dropped considerably. We're saving at least $3500 a month on the cleaning lady, nails, sheital, gas, dry cleaning, eating out, plays We get food. Why not? There's no income limit. NYS is giving out pet food even. Freezers are stocked with how much milk they are giving out. I got a stimulus check.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:19 pm
Doing better b”h. I’m making $400 more per week now cuz of unemployment. My husbands business is doing better. Tuition is the same but prob will be saving on camp. Managed to get stimulus money too even though wouldn’t have been eligible last year.

Although!!!! We will be paying for all this for years to come with our taxes.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:27 pm
I'm doing more or less the same financially.
Our income has lessened by about 20% and so has our expenses. I believe for now its about even but I'm just worried that as things open we'll have to make up for some of those expenses.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:29 pm
I have a friend like yours. She cut her hours bec her husband got hired by the nursing home he was training in. Her salary didnt get cut bec her company got PPP. Shes working remotely so no travel. 2 little kids, no day care, got a stimulus check and they have a 2nd salary which they never had till now. She told me shes buying new wig and putting away money every week toward a downpayment...

esther11

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:32 pm
Doing worse here. We are just fine bh; not putting away any savings.
My husbands is still working. I have two jobs, one of which I am still performing. The other more lucrative one is a private practice that isn’t currently required... I started to apply for unemployment but I do have my other job so I really didn’t think I fairly qualified.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:34 pm
So far it’s been a real struggle. I’m working but DH is not working for one employer and he is self employed in his other job, and he has not been able to collect unemployment as of yet . He’s not sure if they will even approve. I didn’t get a stimulus check even though financially I’m eligible , because my 2018 taxes weren’t filed due to an ongoing case we are having with the IRS with identity theft and fraud using my kids social security numbers. I’m at least able to take the money I’d otherwise be paying a babysitter and use it for my groceries instead. But I can’t wait until my DH starts working again , because he is the one that brings in the bulk of the money. So right now , I’m not doing better but I’m hopeful that things will turn around for the better very soon.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:47 pm
Doing better primarily because we stopped our credit card payments. Using that money to start a baby savings. We had nothing prior, living bill to bill with no space to breathe.

I'm on u/e which is slightly less than regular pay for me. Dh is working, making less gross but he cut expenses so net is the same.

Not paying cleaning lady but paying more for groceries and prizes/bribes for kids. We borrowed from a gmach to cover pesach so that needs to get paid back too.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:49 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
So far it’s been a real struggle. I’m working but DH is not working for one employer and he is self employed in his other job, and he has not been able to collect unemployment as of yet . He’s not sure if they will even approve. I didn’t get a stimulus check even though financially I’m eligible , because my 2018 taxes weren’t filed due to an ongoing case we are having with the IRS with identity theft and fraud using my kids social security numbers. I’m at least able to take the money I’d otherwise be paying a babysitter and use it for my groceries instead. But I can’t wait until my DH starts working again , because he is the one that brings in the bulk of the money. So right now , I’m not doing better but I’m hopeful that things will turn around for the better very soon.

You may still be eligible.
Someone told me she was able to apply even though she didn't file.

blessedflower

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:14 pm
We where doing worse because my dh wasn't able to work. But once he went back to work after pesach he is doing much better B''H than before. He sells and fixes computers and many people need this now with the online working and schooling.
Money was tight for a long time and we really needed the extra money

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:00 pm
We are doing better because we are saving on babysitting and eating out. That is probably 1000 a month. We were finally able to get out of cc debt.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:08 pm
Baruch Hashem breaking even.

We don't qualify for stimulus check. DH is still working the same salaried job.

Still paying full tuition.
Still paying my cleaning lady even though she's not coming
Food - our area just started lunches this week. But unfortunately we have allergies so only kid is eating the food. Everyone eats all day. But no shabbat guests. But dh insists on getting takeout once a week to make it easier on me, so that's an increase. Also only shopping at 2 stores instead of going where cheapest.
Gas - down considerably. DH working from home instead of commuting 300 miles per week.
Utilities - paying more with everyone home all day.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:07 pm
We get more food for free but didn't really make a difference.

Other than that, my husband's hours are harder to get maximum he can because he's at home with 9 other kids.
I lost income from 1 job I just couldn't do but don't qualify for unemployment because if my second job.

I've spent a fortune on my kids' sanity: basketball hoop, crafts, tons and tons of books, etc

And BH a couple of my kids are going through growth spurts and have needed new shoes and clothing in the past few months.

I always did haircuts at home, never had cleaning help, all my kids were in school (the day school closed was the day I was supposed to return from maternity leave and I wasn't yet sure if I'd bring my baby to work with me but either way I hadn't been paying babysitting)... Camp I had worked throughout the year to barter some of my obligation which may or may not be occurring (5 kids). Sleepaway camp for 1 I think I still owe some of it but that's likely opening based on the state...

We're doing the best we can and Iyh it will all work out.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:37 pm
What is the free food everyone is talking about? I live OOT and we don't have anything like that here.

bnm

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:42 pm
No. I didn't qualify for unemployment. We didn't qualify for a stimulus check.

amother
Green

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:52 pm
I'm doing better B"H, dh is home as he can't work so he is fixing up our house, plenty of food - I never ate so well in my entire life due to the free food programs. Getting unemployment for DH his paycheck is pretty much staying the same bec. of the extra $600. I am working full time but had to give up second job and instead might do other essential work for a second job just debating how realistic it is to take a second job now with everyone home.

Basically in Brooklyn you can get a lot of free food from the government from all the Yeshivos they are giving out lunch every day each school has a different program/different types of food. So you can basically choose which food you like and just pick up from that location.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:57 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
We're doing much better. DH is in the right industry. He got a nice bonus. Expenses have dropped considerably. We're saving at least $3500 a month on the cleaning lady, nails, sheital, gas, dry cleaning, eating out, plays We get food. Why not? There's no income limit. NYS is giving out pet food even. Freezers are stocked with how much milk they are giving out. I got a stimulus check.

How do you get free pet food?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics