Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Open NYC now!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Puce

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:38 pm
Where I live, there are. Big grocery stores, too.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:40 pm
giselle wrote:
Have not seen any limits at either of those stores.

LOL. Shopped in a packed Walmart recently.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:43 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Are you seriously willing to die, and have your children die, so that the local nail salon or shoe store can open?

You really trust NYers to socially distance?

if you are not from new york, please stay out of new york.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:46 pm
What work are you going back to?

What about your husband?

Will you be in a high risk service environment?

any people who want the lockdown do not realize that control is bad in its own way.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:54 pm
Are you seriously willing to die, and have your children die, so that the local nail salon or shoe store can open?

You really trust NYers to socially distance?

Where are pictures of Dominoe Park with all the non-Jews crowding it during fourth week of lockdown?
and where are the pics of the West side highway waterfron packed with bikers and people strolling during the pandemic?
Why would anyone do the job of those that hate us?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:58 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
All those big stores you mentioned had customer limits. And they are much larger, so you could have 100 people there shopping and safely spread out.
Liquor stores, fast food places, etc were open for drive thru or curbside pickup.
Gas stations, most people don't go inside the actual store.
Very different from your average boutique crowded frum store.
I'm sure planned parenthood was by appointment, too.

crowded frum stores can also have safety precautions. not very different.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:04 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Where are pictures of Dominoe Park with all the non-Jews crowding it during fourth week of lockdown?
and where are the pics of the West side highway waterfron packed with bikers and people strolling during the pandemic?
Why would anyone do the job of those that hate us?

Those are boring. Pictures of black garb and beards are so much more enticing.

giselle

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:06 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Those are boring. Pictures of black garb and beards are so much more enticing.

This is an interesting and important thread. There are a million and half other ones where you can argue with other posters about being self hating Jews, but let’s stay on topic here.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:07 pm
giselle wrote:
This is an interesting and important thread. There are a million and half other ones where you can argue with other posters about being self hating Jews, but let’s stay on topic here.

Don't tell it to me, tell it to the poster posting the picture of chassidim. I just commented on that.

Everything is interesting and important these days.

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:10 pm
giselle wrote:

I agree with you. There are market forces as well as the political aspects of this issue and we can't ignore the scientific aspects as well.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/end-new-york-citys-lockdown-now/

I was in WB today (the Chasidishe area). NO ONE was wearing a mask and there was no social distancing at all. All the stores were open kids were out on their bikes and scooters and adults were shopping. There was absolutely no evidence that a pandemic was going on. If they can go about their lives in WB then there is no reason why they cant open camps and bungalow colonies and get the kids in a safe environment upstate.

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:33 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I was in WB today (the Chasidishe area). NO ONE was wearing a mask and there was no social distancing at all. All the stores were open kids were out on their bikes and scooters and adults were shopping. There was absolutely no evidence that a pandemic was going on. If they can go about their lives in WB then there is no reason why they cant open camps and bungalow colonies and get the kids in a safe environment upstate.

Are the authorities in Sullivan county willing to look the other way? I know a young Crown Heights couple who are considering opening up a cousins camp probably in the home of the grandparents (all parties were already exposed to the virus at Purim). Something like that is probably legal because it's more of a babysitting arrangement than a camp.
Is Sullivan county looking good for re-opening?

freilich

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 6:41 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Are the authorities in Sullivan county willing to look the other way? I know a young Crown Heights couple who are considering opening up a cousins camp probably in the home of the grandparents (all parties were already exposed to the virus at Purim). Something like that is probably legal because it's more of a babysitting arrangement than a camp.
Is Sullivan county looking good for re-opening?

I believe the Sullivan county only has to gain from the Brooklyn people this summer. They need the seasonal business badly. Plus they will be exposed to a huge number of people who have the antibodies by now.
Would be a good way for them to get herd immunity.

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:00 pm
freilich wrote:
I believe the Sullivan county only has to gain from the Brooklyn people this summer. They need the seasonal business badly. Plus they will be exposed to a huge number of people who have the antibodies by now.
Would be a good way for them to get herd immunity.

We transfer antibodies by casual contact? Obviously someone who is immune can't make them sick but how does this help them gain herd immunity?

I agree that we spend $$$$ there.

behappy2

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:18 pm
keym wrote:
My issue is in NJ, it stinks like cronyism and cozying up to the Big Bucks.
Target, Walmart, Home Depot can all be open, ostensibly limiting how many people are inside. But my local small business shoe stores, clothing stores, electronics have to only do curbside pickup.
I need to buy a suit for my son. I can't order it for pickup because I need to try it on. So I'll go to Target and try on several suits and buy one there.
And another small business bites the dust and is forced to close forever because they can't survive.

I don't get this line of reasoning at all. If Target were to sell only shoes it would not be open. Is your local pharmacy open? Yes. Is your local grocery open? yes. that is why Walmart, Target and Home Depot are open. Am I missing something?

keym

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:30 pm
behappy2 wrote:
I don't get this line of reasoning at all. If Target were to sell only shoes it would not be open. Is your local pharmacy open? Yes. Is your local grocery open? yes. that is why Walmart, Target and Home Depot are open. Am I missing something?

If Walmart and Target had taped closed all the aisles except food, medicine and essentials, I'd understand.
But they didn't.
So like I said, it's weird that it's safe to try on shoes, handle the boxes, etc at Target, but not at my local Shoe Store.
The governor keeps saying he's opening data driven, but this is not.
Either close the clothes, shoes, toys, linen, electronics aisle in big box stores, or allow at 40% capacity with masks and gloves in small boutiques that won't survive if they can't open up.

CiCi

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:24 pm
What work are you going back to?

What about your husband?

Will you be in a high risk service environment?

I work mostly at home. I did do some work between people, it was all our choices to do so. My husband is an essential worker and never had to stop working.

I don't have small children so I don't have a problem with my kids being home. I get up late and I love it.

At this point the situation hasn't affected me much. I do however care about others who have lost their businesses and jobs. Not everyone was able to get unemployment because of technical reasons- they couldn't reach the unemployment agency, or they were pinky starting a job, etc.

In addition, I'm a practical person. A collapse of the US economy will create a bigger crises than coronavirus itself.

And I'm totally against the government taking away personal rights. At this point it is political and not the pandemic that is keeping states in lockdown. The Constitution guarantees us our rights, it is illegal for governors to take away our freedoms.

Last edited by CiCi on Fri, May 22 2020, 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Beige

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:50 pm
To the poster that posted that picture. Poor taste. To answer your question if anybody there died. No. Williamsburg didn’t have any new COVID hospitalizations recently.

I can’t understand how blinded one can be to the situation. It’s all political. We flattened the curve and we are ready to move to the next phase.

The only metrics missing for NYC is hospital beds and I don’t think it’s ever possible to have so many extra beds in the city. The number of COVID hospitalizations keep on decreasing but the available beds stay the same. It’s all designed to keep us locked in for the longest time possible.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:35 am
keym wrote:
If Walmart and Target had taped closed all the aisles except food, medicine and essentials, I'd understand.
But they didn't.
So like I said, it's weird that it's safe to try on shoes, handle the boxes, etc at Target, but not at my local Shoe Store.
The governor keeps saying he's opening data driven, but this is not.
Either close the clothes, shoes, toys, linen, electronics aisle in big box stores, or allow at 40% capacity with masks and gloves in small boutiques that won't survive if they can't open up.

There is a limit to how many they're letting into stores here where I live. We have to queue sometimes. Is it not the same at Walmart and target?

amother
Blush

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:54 am
Excellent posts CICI and goldenrod.

Yes what made sense before based on objective facts or lack thereof indicate reopening safely now.

As for herd immunity I do not think anyone anywhere would thank people for bringing it in even if it did afford some that advantage. I can promise that the places that got hit hard before anyone know what was going on or had any safety protocols in place are only mourning their deaths R"L and slowly picking up the pieces to reopen and rebuild.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics