Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Kiruv and Shabbos Hosting
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:48 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Hi OP,
I’m in the same boat - campus kiruv (maybe we know each other). I’m also not sure what we’ll do.

There are probably measures we can take to make our Shabbos table safer:

- less guests per meal, more spacing between seats
- possibly doing meals outside When weather permits
- everyone washes hands when they come in and don’t come if sick of course
- strict areas of the house where guests are allowed, no more helping me in the kitchen or clearing.

These are just me thinking off the top of my head. Probably our organization will come out with guidelines.

OP here: Definitely a good possibility we know each other!😊

Those are great suggestions (although we outside meals for us would probably be about 2 Shabboses each semester! It gets cold fast!)

A lot of our students homes are in coronavirus "hot spots" so I'm obviously concerned about them traveling back and forth, and coming to us.

What will you do about overnight guests, or even just hanging out for an Oneg playing board games? Or even just passing food back and forth at the Shabbos table?

Yes, hopefully organizations will come out with safety guidelines. (I do feel at least for Fall we just shouldn't host, and see how things play out. With the Fall Yom Tovim, a lot of students will be traveling back home and back to school.)

Of course, there's always the chance that universities will place heavy restrictions on student activities other than classes.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here: Definitely a good possibility we know each other!😊

Those are great suggestions (although we outside meals for us would probably be about 2 Shabboses each semester! It gets cold fast!)

A lot of our students homes are in coronavirus "hot spots" so I'm obviously concerned about them traveling back and forth, and coming to us.

What will you do about overnight guests, or even just hanging out for an Oneg playing board games? Or even just passing food back and forth at the Shabbos table?

Yes, hopefully organizations will come out with safety guidelines. (I do feel at least for Fall we just shouldn't host, and see how things play out. With the Fall Yom Tovim, a lot of students will be traveling back home and back to school.)

Of course, there's always the chance that universities will place heavy restrictions on student activities other than classes.

No passing foods. Its not the food, its the bowls and utensils. Someone needs to serve. I know that's a PITA. How many students do you usually have?

imasinger

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:52 pm
The kiruv folks near me are sending out Shabbos packages and Yom tov packages, and doing online Zoom shiurim.

It's not the same as an actual Shabbos meal together, but it's very much appreciated, and keeps the connection alive until the time is right to have larger groups close together again.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:10 pm
A lot of colleges are going to be closed into the fall and doing online classes. Some have already announced.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
A lot of colleges are going to be closed into the fall and doing online classes. Some have already announced.

OP here...I know....I wish mine was one of those. Mine just announced in-person for fall.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 2:42 pm
Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if they offer a lot of classes remotely, so students have a choice. There are likely to be a lot fewer people on campus or living in the dorms.

ora_43

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:21 pm
This may be terrible advice, but I'd just wait for fall and figure it out then. There's enough to worry about without borrowing trouble from the future.

I'd feel differently if this was something you can prepare for, but it sounds like it isn't. At least, not using any of the tools we have now.

So wait and see. Maybe something will change, and the whole question will be irrelevant one way or the other (iy"h in the direction of 'nothing to worry about after all'). And if nothing changes, well - you're no worse off than you are now, and you saved yourself three months of anxiety.

The one thing is, if you go that route, do tell your dh in advance that you're anxious so that he's not blindsided if in mid-August you tell him that you want to talk about seriously limiting invites.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:39 pm
Are you ladies part of a network? Wouldn't the network have a basic protocol in place, authorities to consult?

Ora in town

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone else work in kiruv and completely worried about Shabbos hosting?
We work on a college campus and always have guests in a Shabbos house every week. Not now, college has been closed since March. But, I am very worried about Fall Semester. The college we are on sent out a plan this week for fall reopening, and it looks like we are back on campus.
I don't know how I will feel comfortable having tons of students in and out of my house regularly, eating there, sleeping there, even just hanging out playing a game.
My anxiety level over this is literally skyrocketing
Unfortunately, my husband feels social distancing is ridiculous, and is very happy to start hosting again the second campus starts up again. He thinks all these coronavirus guidelines are ridiculous (mask wearing, for example)
I was really hoping the college would just be all virtual in the fall, but that hope has been dashed.
Anyone else in this situation?? I'm so worried!

I would worry about the guests infecting each other.
In my view, this should be a sufficient argument to refrain from having guests, unless something really changes in the situation (e.g. vaccine available by fall).
I would be especially worried about yomim tovim, yamim noraim, and specially simchat torah...

It was found that singing (in closed spaces, even if they are big) was particularly dangerous as far as transmission of the virus goes (see the famous choir rehearsal in Washington, where one known carrier infected over 75% of particpants, and 2 persons died as a result...)
So not only meals with zemirot could be dangerous, but also tefilah as such...
Over here, authorities lifted the ban on services, (up to a limited number of participants) but forbade singing...

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:47 pm
Hillery wrote:
Coronavirus is pretty much over bh, so ignore the reshaim apikorsim prophets of doom who have zero bitachon and don't believe in Hashem at all, and continue with your holy work.

What an awful comment.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:14 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
What an awful comment.

no, it's just confusing. We have different definitions of bitachon. Maybe more to the point hishtadlus.
Or, I just might not be on that madreiga.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:35 pm
Hillery wrote:
Coronavirus is pretty much over bh, so ignore the reshaim apikorsim prophets of doom who have zero bitachon and don't believe in Hashem at all, and continue with your holy work.

"... unless homosexuals come knocking on your door. GEVAAALT!" LOL

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:09 am
Hillery wrote:

How dare you?!!!

Are you calling out many of our gedolim as 'reshaim apikorsim prophets of doom who have zero bitachon and don't believe in Hashem at all' for urging caution, especially for those at risk?

We just had this discussion with our very respected and accepted Yeshivish Rav who insists that it's completely assur for those at risk (elderly, immunocompromised) to let up on SD, even for a devar mitzvah, since the virus is still here. He told us that in my community there have been several new cases this week.

I won't list my rav's name without permission but suffice it to say that he is deeply involved with and represents Agudas Yisroel.

But apparently you know better.

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:13 am
Hillery wrote:

This sounds like it was written by a malevolent person who wants to spread disease among Am Israel...

Hillery

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:27 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
What an awful comment.

Why?

Hillery

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:48 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
How dare you?!!!

Are you calling out many of our gedolim as 'reshaim apikorsim prophets of doom who have zero bitachon and don't believe in Hashem at all' for urging caution, especially for those at risk?

Are you nuts? Who said anything about gedolim? Or about any frum Yidden for that matter?

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:58 am
Hillery wrote:
Why?

Because what you say is factually incorrect.
The number of new Covid19 cases could be curbed by social distancing measures.
As soon as social distancing is relaxed, the virus could be expected to spread just as it spread before.
Therefore it is important to be selective and try to find a right balance between vital economic activity and containing the virus.
In Israel, new eruptions were found as soon as schools opened.
Hosting dinners with many guests is not a good idea as long as the virus is spreading.

Last edited by Ora in town on Fri, May 22 2020, 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:59 am
Hillery wrote:
Are you nuts? Who said anything about gedolim? Or about any frum Yidden for that matter?

Why are you adressing other people in such a way?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:29 am
PinkFridge wrote:
no, it's just confusing. We have different definitions of bitachon. Maybe more to the point hishtadlus.
Or, I just might not be on that madreiga.

Since this is amother-enabled, I'd love to know why this got a hug.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:41 am
OP here:
Thank you to those who offered practical and helpful suggestions for me to deal with this situation. I have a tremendous amount of anxiety due to this, and I really appreciate your care and concern.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics