Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Credit Card Points or Cash Back?

1ofbillions

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:42 am
I don't travel often at all. Would I get more monetary value from selling points, or just getting cash back? Is it a big headache to sell points? I'm leaning towards cash back because it just seems simpler but I'm not sure if that's smart.

Einikel

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:45 am
I’m team cashback

treetop12

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:51 am
Cash back all the way. There are some credit cards that offer 2% cash back on everything and others that have bonus categories.
Also, selling points can get you blacklisted by the issuer, since it is against their terms.

Genius

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:52 am
American Express blue preferred offers 6% cash back at US supermarkets.

Frumme

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 7:57 am
Cash back. Less hassle, easier to use, more practical, and there are often bonuses

1ofbillions

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:01 am
Awesome - thank you all so much! I now feel reassured enough to apply for a cashback card. Time to explore Nerd Wallet's website.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 12:01 pm
The best of the straightforward cashback cards is Citi's Double Cash, which gives 2% back on everything. There's a similar card from Fidelity, but it's only useful if you already have an account with them. Neither card has an annual fee. As others have noted, if you invest more time, there are cards that have bonus categories that can be even more lucrative as long as you keep track of them.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:48 pm
Regarding the citi 2% is it better to get cash back or to apply a credit to Amazon?

doctorima

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 1:53 pm
I believe they don't give you the full 2% value when redeeming for other rewards like Amazon, only for a statement credit. If they do give you the full value, then it's up to you which you'd prefer.

Window

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:21 pm
Ummm, you’ll get much more money with points. However, yes, cash back is easier. For example, if you have the chase freedom unlimited, every dollar earns you 1.5 points. If you have the chase sapphire reserve, each of those points is now worth 1.5 points. So now you’re earning 2.25 points everywhere. And these chase points are worth more than a penny a piece, depending on how you spend them. Additionally, with the chase freedom card, you can earn 5x points in select categories each quarter.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 5:30 pm
Yes, Chase UR points give the potential to make more than cashback, but are primarily useful for somebody planning to use them. If you're going to sell them, the difference between .0225 (Chase) and .02 (Citi cashback) isn't worth the time and headache involved in having to sell them, not to mention that if you do it too frequently, you're liable to get caught and shut down with all of your remaining points confiscated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics