Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Looking for info about antibody levels

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:21 am
My husband and I both went for antibody testing. (Neither of us had any symptoms of the virus.)
My husband's antibody level was 1.6.
My antibody level was 0.1.
The doctor said that 1.6 is above the threshold so DH is positive, and I'm negative.
I tried googling this but couldn't find any information. Does anyone know what the range of antibody levels is? And what higher and lower levels mean?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband and I both went for antibody testing. (Neither of us had any symptoms of the virus.)
My husband's antibody level was 1.6.
My antibody level was 0.1.
The doctor said that 1.6 is above the threshold so DH is positive, and I'm negative.
I tried googling this but couldn't find any information. Does anyone know what the range of antibody levels is? And what higher and lower levels mean?

We were told that above 1.5 is positive
We have 1.7 and 0.3 results. Also curious what it means and couldn’t find any info.

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:32 am
It would depend on the specific test. Can you call the lab or office that administered the test?

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:33 am
A friend of mine was telling me last night that someone she knows tested positive for antibodies, and donated plasma....two weeks later, he decided he would donate again. He went back and they retested, and he tested negative now for antibodies.

This science is just so incomplete....and also shows that antibodies might not last very long, at least in some people....

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:13 pm
Thanks. I did try to press the doctor for more information on what the antibody level means, but all he would say is, "1.6 is above the positive threshold. We don't yet know what having antibodies means for you." But then my husband's friend said he tested and his antibody level was 5 (he hadn't had any symptoms either), and his doctor had told him it's "barely a positive".
Anyone knows where I can find out more info on what different antibody levels mean?

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. I did try to press the doctor for more information on what the antibody level means, but all he would say is, "1.6 is above the positive threshold. We don't yet know what having antibodies means for you." But then my husband's friend said he tested and his antibody level was 5 (he hadn't had any symptoms either), and his doctor had told him it's "barely a positive".
Anyone knows where I can find out more info on what different antibody levels mean?
different tests will work differently. You need to look at the given ranges for your particular test

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:20 pm
I was at a Dr in BP this week who told me my result was "3" (so Im definitely negative for antibodies), and anything over "15" is positive for antibodies.

So like someone said upthread there must be different tests.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:30 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I was at a Dr in BP this week who told me my result was "3" (so Im definitely negative for antibodies), and anything over "15" is positive for antibodies.

So like someone said upthread there must be different tests.

This is so confusing. I feel like such an uneducated consumer when getting test results, and when I try to ask for explanations, the doctor or nurse just repeats what they said, "It's above the positive threshold" and says good-bye.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:30 pm
Each lab uses a a different scale. If your lab uses 0-10, with 10 being the highest, it makes sense that 1.6 is the minimum threshold.

If your friend went to a lab that uses the 1 out of 400 scale, then it makes sense that 5 does not reach the minimum threshold for that scale (maybe 32 is the minimum for a scale of 1/400).

My relative tested twice at two labs. One lab had a 1/10 scale. 1 lab used a 1/400 scale.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is so confusing. I feel like such an uneducated consumer when getting test results, and when I try to ask for explanations, the doctor or nurse just repeats what they said, "It's above the positive threshold" and says good-bye.

Cuz they themselves dont know it all

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:36 pm
Ask for a copy of the lab results. It's your records and you're entitled to have it faxed to you. You should find the scale used on the report.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:39 pm
bioreference lab has less than 0.9 as negative .9 to 1.1 as unknown and above 1.1 as positive (for now)

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:40 pm

This is what I got as result

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:42 pm
I just posted a new thread about antibodies if you'd like to take a look

Dr view on antibody testing

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:44 pm
Before you get tested, ask which lab the place is using. Have your test done at a place that is using a reputable lab like Quest or LapCorp.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:07 pm
I went to get tested for antibodies
It confuses me.
Both my parents were home for 6 weeks. They went to be tested for antibodies. My mom has my dad doesnt.
Makes sense?
That means that my mom had the virus and my father did not. No symptoms so I don't understand
I went to get tested. I asked the dr how many cases he is seeing nowadays he said none! He said that corona is over in boro park! There are no new cases and even if you test positive for the virus, you cant give it over so easily anymore.

I am like weirded out
How does this work?
We are all wearing masks and gloves but wth is going on?
Can anyone like fill me in? Surprised

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:16 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I went to get tested for antibodies
It confuses me.
Both my parents were home for 6 weeks. They went to be tested for antibodies. My mom has my dad doesnt.
Makes sense?
That means that my mom had the virus and my father did not. No symptoms so I don't understand
I went to get tested. I asked the dr how many cases he is seeing nowadays he said none! He said that corona is over in boro park! There are no new cases and even if you test positive for the virus, you cant give it over so easily anymore.

I am like weirded out
How does this work?
We are all wearing masks and gloves but wth is going on?
Can anyone like fill me in? Surprised

I spoke to someone yesterday who works in a docs office and she said that it't dying down; they only had one new positive case yesterday. So it's not completely gone, but getting there.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

This is what I got as result

My question is if someone gets a number under 14.9 is that the same as zero? I had symptoms and was pretty sure I had covid but my doctor told me that based on my results I never had it, it was probably the flu or something else. But if I never had it wouldn’t the antibody results show zero?

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I spoke to someone yesterday who works in a docs office and she said that it't dying down; they only had one new positive case yesterday. So it's not completely gone, but getting there.

Wow so that’s bad news for vaccines. That means you’ll have to take one every couple of months ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics