Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Brighton, MA: Dati Leumi type shul?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 12:07 am
I would love to know what shul in Brighton you think might be a good fit for Dati Leumi type, Modern Orthodox machmir. Thank you!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 12:18 am
All the shuls are accepting and diverse. Age and stage might also be a factor in your decision especially if you’re not coming long term. Everything is pretty close by so you don’t have to commit in advance type.

That being said I believe Brookline has a bigger defined MO presence... but some of the ppl that daven at Rabbi Halpern/ KVH, for example, are what I think (I didn’t ask for labels) JPF/ MO machmir , and some are right wing yeshivish and it’s all a nice blend. I can only speak for KVH but we have a weekly kiddush and a nice young presence that other shuls I think have less of? Not sure.

There’s Kadima, Chai Odom and the kollel (that’s more right wing obviously). And there are Chabbads around as well to just find a minyan timing wise.

If you’re on the women’s chat ask for someone to describe the local shuls to you privately I’m sure you’ll get a bunch of dms...

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 12:35 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
All the shuls are accepting and diverse. Age and stage might also be a factor in your decision especially if you’re not coming long term. Everything is pretty close by so you don’t have to commit in advance type.

That being said I believe Brookline has a bigger defined MO presence... but some of the ppl that daven at Rabbi Halpern/ KVH, for example, are what I think (I didn’t ask for labels) JPF/ MO machmir , and some are right wing yeshivish and it’s all a nice blend. I can only speak for KVH but we have a weekly kiddush and a nice young presence that other shuls I think have less of? Not sure.

There’s Kadima, Chai Odom and the kollel (that’s more right wing obviously). And there are Chabbads around as well to just find a minyan timing wise.

If you’re on the women’s chat ask for someone to describe the local shuls to you privately I’m sure you’ll get a bunch of dms...

Thank you so much for your response. What is KVH? Is it related to R Halpern’s shul? Thanks again! Smile

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much for your response. What is KVH? Is it related to R Halpern’s shul? Thanks again! Smile

I actually meant KTY- that’s the name of R halpern a shul. KVH is a hechsher LOL

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:24 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I actually meant KTY- that’s the name of R halpern a shul. KVH is a hechsher LOL

Hahaha got it thank you!!

imasinger

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:40 am
In normal times, it's a good idea to try a few choices and see what is the best fit for you. There aren't hundreds of choices, so it's fun to visit where you can.

Sadly, these are not normal times.

R Halpern's shul may be a great fit for you. Also, depending on where in Brighton you are, you may find it not much further to walk in a different direction to Young Israel of Brookline, where you will also find compatible folks.

Given that these are not normal times, you might want to reach out to the rav of each shul you are investigating, andaybe to at least one other person who davens there. Take advantage of online or phone shiurim to "meet" the rav and some of the members.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:22 am

yads

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:51 am
Feel free to pm me with questions, we live in Brighton.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:36 am
Most young people end up going to R Halpern's shul at this point...its just a big, friendly mix of everyone. Most of the shuls are. Even the Kollel has plenty of not strictly Lakewood Kollel people davening there. It's not a huge neighborhood so under normal circumstances you could just take turns going to all the shuls and decide which you prefer. Now, the shuls are slowly starting to reopen, with small minyanim, strictly with sign ups. No women/children/kiddushes/socializing...so honestly doesn't really matter right now:-( Just move centrally in Brighton and you'll have all your options easily open to you. If you move "on the other side of Washington St.", you'll be more limited to davening at KTY (R Halpern) unless you love walking.

People are very friendly everywhere here, ordinarily you'd be invited out by a bunch of people right away (have no clue if that will be happening though....people still SD, no guests. Iyh situation will be different soon, but...who knows? Second wave?)

Priscilla Park is centrally located, everyone goes there...pre Covid.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:41 am
Also, there's a lot of "cross pollination" between the shuls. Ex. X davens at Rebbes (Bais Pinchas) during the week, at a diff shul on Shabbos. Y davens at Kollel and Chai Odom, or KTY. Davens at one shul, goes for shiur or chavrusa at another shul. Spouses or kids may go to diff shuls. When there's a simcha, everyone flocks to that kiddush to say mazal tov.

I hope if you dont see all that and all the friendliness when you move, you understand that it's only because of Covid....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating