Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Shavuot meals for one
1  2  Next

elak

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:26 am
I need to put together a few nice, "pick me up", milchig recipes for people who quarantine alone. Some could be patchke, some easy and quick.
Delivering meals isn't possible or practical for different reasons. Problem is I'm used to cooking in quantity and most of my Shavuot recipes wouldn't make a great choice, unless you want to be stuck with repeats and leftovers. It's not US or EY, some basic milchigs are available( milk, butter, sour cream, farmers cheese, yoghurt, plain cheese)
Would appreciate any suggestions ( I understand that finishing cheese cake shouldn't be a problem Smile )

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:59 am
For a main ccourse I would chose a piece of salmon baked in the oven, spiced with paprika, salt, soy sauce and some peperoni and onion rings on top...
With a bit of rice and perhaps a milichig mushroom sauce (either just mushrooms and cream or bechamel and mushrooms))(if you don't like to use mushrooms, you could just make a bechamel)
This is something you could produce quite easily in as many portions as you need, and then fill it into plates that have compartments...

If you want something milchig that is a bit of a "patchkerei", I would make crepes with a springroll-like filling (sprounts, carots, cabbage, soy sauce) and a milchig (mushroom) sauce to put on top.

Or you could make crepes with nuts and chocolate sauce for dessert... or pancakes with maple sirup... (but keep pancakes and filling separated till served)
Or cheese cake...
Also milchig mousse au chocolat is a nice desert.
melt 100g chocolate in milk
beat 250 ml of whipped cream...
(and if you have pasteurised egg whites, add 2 egg whites whipped stiff... if you don't have pasteurised egg whites, skip it, it's too dangerous)
Or milchig tiramisu could also be nice as a desert...

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:56 am
I would often bake a few potatoes together with a sweet potato. When they are done, cut them in half and scrape out the insides, leaving a thick enough shell to stand. (The sweet potato you don't have to leave a shell.) Mash the insides together, along with grated cheese and seasoning to taste. Refill potatoes (not sweet potato), and put in the oven a few more minutes to brown.

This was one of my favourites when I was single, and I still make it. It is easy adapted for any numbers. To make it special for Yom Tov I would splurge on expensive goat milk cheese which gave it a wonderful flavour, but it is still good with regular cheese.

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:04 am
This is a good individual creme caramel recipe for dessert.

https://www.deliaonline.com/re.....amels

imasinger

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:05 am
Would you be interested in making mozzarella? It's not difficult ,and gives more options.

banana123

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:07 am
Can you cook your regular amount and divide it into individual portions?

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:13 am
banana123 wrote:

Quote:
I need to put together a few nice, "pick me up", milchig recipes for people who quarantine alone. Some could be patchke, some easy and quick. 
Delivering meals isn't possible or practical for different reasons

I think she is looking for recipes to pass on to individual to help them plan a menu they could cook for themselves, rather than ideas of what to bring them.

elak

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:29 am
imasinger wrote:
Would you be interested in making mozzarella? It's not difficult ,and gives more options.

These recipes are not for me, but I would love to have a recipe for mozzarella

elak

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:38 am
banana123 wrote:

That is what I was planning to do but after speaking to some of those people, I realized that it won't work for most of them. All I can do is try and come up with nice recipe booklet to make nice meals using available ingredients. Yom Tov alone is not fun for anyone, at least they would keep busy cooking for now and have something nice to look forward comes Yom Tov

SixOfWands

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:41 am
Fish would be the easiest, as you can bake a single piece. Or quesadillas.

But I found this recipe for mac and cheese for one. https://bakingmischief.com/qui.....-one/

Mini quiches https://peasandcrayons.com/201......html

They could also do loaded baked potato.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:42 am
Most fish recipes are easy enough to downsize.

Pasta should be easy too.

Quiche can be made in small batches in mini pie crusts.

Fritatas

Quesideas.

Personal pizzas

banana123

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:46 am
Elfrida wrote:
I think she is looking for recipes to pass on to individual to help them plan a menu they could cook for themselves, rather than ideas of what to bring them.

You're right, for some reason I missed that.

essie14

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:50 am
When I was single I cooked in quantities for a family of 4 and froze individual meals for myself. Anything someone makes for Shavuot can also be supper the week after.

Frumme

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:58 am
Are they able to cook etc on Yom Tov? Or does it have to be cooked beforehand?

Cheesy gnocchi is really easy to make... Boil water, cook gnocchi until floating (2-3 minutes), drain water. Add them back to the pot, mix in pasta sauce spices (pepper, salt, red pepper flakes), and fresh spinach (optional) until heated. At the end, toss in cubes of whatever variety of cheese you'd like with a knob of butter (optional) and swirl it in until melty. Serve! You can scale it up or down to your liking and make it as saucy or cheesy as you'd like.

Can you get frozen kosher pie crusts where you are? If you can, or your friend can make it, they can make spinach pie which is so yummy.

Saute a whole diced onion; when caramelized, add a whole bag of spinach (fresh or frozen or even a can) and mix in thoroughly until heated and wilted. Remove and place in mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of sour cream (or mayo for pareve) and 3 eggs. Add spices (pepper, salt, paprika, Cayenne pepper) and shredded cheese if desired. Mix thoroughly. Place in pre-baked pie shell. Sprinkle crunchy topping on if desired (fried onions, matzah meal, breadcrumbs, etc). Bake at 350 for 45 min or so, or until filling has set. Can also be done with broccoli, but not sure which country you are located in (I remember in Argentina broccoli was a pain) so spinach is probably easier. Even though it could probably serve a few people, it's good hot or cold so I don't consider it "leftovers."

egam

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:04 am
essie14 wrote:
When I was single I cooked in quantities for a family of 4 and froze individual meals for myself. Anything someone makes for Shavuot can also be supper the week after.

I was about to mention that.
Lasagna can be divided and frozen. They can also make mini frittatas in a cupcake form and eat some and freeze the rest. Blended soups.
I don’t know about what varieties of cheese available where you leave, but I would be happy with just a nice cheese plate. Cheese, olives, grapes, nuts. And a nice glass of wine.

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:16 am
For a single person?

Thuna hamburgers with oats:

1 can of tuna (regular small can)
2 eggs
3 spoons of oats...
(a small onion, sliced in fine cubes)
curry
salt pepper...

Mix all together (if you like, blend tuna first a little bit)
Fry in oil as little patties, about 4 min each side.

This warms up well, and is enough for 2-3 meals for a single

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:17 am
Aspargus with sauce hollandaise...

Cook asparagus in salt water, with bay leaves and a bit of wine
(don't leave it too long in fridge, eat it right away)

Buy sauce hollandaise, because it is really hard to make...

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:20 am
Easy mushroom sauce:
Take 1/4l of cream
Heat it in pan
put in thinly sliced mushrooms
Cook for about 10 min on low fire.

Can be eaten with rice or pasta

STMommy

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:21 am
I just want to say OP it's really nice that you're doing this.

elak

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:24 am
Ora in town wrote:
Aspargus with sauce hollandaise...

Cook asparagus in salt water, with bay leaves and a bit of wine
(don't leave it too long in fridge, eat it right away)

Buy sauce hollandaise, because it is really hard to make...

These aren't available, nor pie shells or gnocchi Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics