Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Products to invest in instead of cleaning help
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Orange

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 12:28 am
saw50st8 wrote:
We have an ecovacs 920. It is life changing (we got it before this). It can vacuum and it mop, but the mopping is more like a wipe down. It helps vacuuming close to shabbos when I'm busy with other things. You do need to have things off the floor or to mark off areas that it should go to. This one even gets under our furniture to areas I almost never touch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....2cfac

We also own a steam mop and love it.

For laundry - I got a hand held steamer. I do not iron so this is much easier and quicker. We got a cheap one (like $25?) and it is fantastic.

OMG, I want one! Can you tell me why you went with this model? Did you compare to others? Also, does it scratch hardwood floors?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:45 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....;th=1

I ordered this and just received it yesterday. It's a very lightweight vacuum and I needed something easy to use on my carpeted stairs and on the 2nd floor of my house. My regular vacuum is a cannister and is a handful to carry from floor to floor.

I couldn't believe how much dirt it picked up. I even used it on small leaves that accumulated on my front porch! The beauty of this vacuum is that you can remove the stick and then use the handheld portion with or without the floor attachment. So easy to use on stairs.

top mom

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:46 am
Disposable dishes!!!
That's the very first thing that comes to mind when I don't have cleaning help (like now...)
And that's coming from someone with a dishwasher, because it still has to be loaded and unloaded....
And while I patiently wait for the day when my darling kids will ask," Mommy dearest, is there anything I can do for you?", I use paper goods whenever possible.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:49 am
Thanks so much! Awesome thread! So helpful!

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:35 am
anything that prevents you from bending, slipping
wipes

Ora in town

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:38 am
Incentives for children when they help...

saw50st8

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:06 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
OMG, I want one! Can you tell me why you went with this model? Did you compare to others? Also, does it scratch hardwood floors?

My husband did all the research.

We actually started with a Roborock S5 and really like it but decided to switch to this one because of its lower profile. The Roborock didn't fit under some of our furniture.

We also waited for a big sale and bought it then :-)

This one doesn't have the largest battery so if we run it at maximum power, it can't do the whole first floor on one charge. But then it goes back to the dock, recharges and resumes so it doesn't bother me at all.

It hasn't scratched my floors, but my floors are old.

Keep in mind that robot vacuums require more maintenance than regular vacuums. It's not a big deal at all, but you have to clean out the bin way more frequently. It is seriously life changing. We vacuum almost every day now.

saw50st8

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:09 am
Amarante wrote:
You can't use a steam mop on wood floor - you don't use water on wood or any kind of liquid product. Even if the surface of the wood is "sealed" the steam can permeate can cause damage from below. Similarly laminate floors are very prone to water damage which is why they aren't recommended for bathrooms or even kitchens where they might sustain water damage.

However, in my experience, wood floors aren't used where they need to be scrubbed. You use a Roomba type of vacuum so that removes the grit and dirt which are the enemies of wood flors. Then you go over the surface with something like Bona which is sprayed on a microfiber "mop" and which cleans off the surface. I don't know people who "mop" their living room and bedroom floors which are typically those rooms which have wood flooring.

This is the reason why wood floors in kitchens are beautiful but aren't as easy to maintain as a tile floor would be. They are beautiful but not as practical as tile. I do have a wood kitchen floor but I am much more careful about making sure it is swept and any spills are attended to immediately than when I had a tile kitchen floor.

I do steam mop my wood floors. They are very old so I figure I'm not doing much harm. We haven't seen any issues so far.

Fave

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:21 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
We got this recently and so far were pretty happy with it. If you do get it, definitely buy an extra battery (preferably a larger one) because the battery life is like 20 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....af740

How does this compare to a Dyson?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:24 am
Ruchel wrote:
anything that prevents you from bending, slipping
wipes

Ruchel! bonjour!

SuperWify

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:44 am
I’m looking for a good vacuum but in the meanwhile I got this amazing lightweight cheap vacuum for the stairs and touch ups:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BIS.....25309

SuperWify

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:51 am
Cleaning products:

Drop ins for the toilet bowl.

Clean with Clorox wands as mentioned above. I keep one on every bathroom.

Oxi clean pet fresh or baking soda for accidents on
carpets then vacuum up.

Fantastic or method for the countertops

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 9:59 am
SuperWify wrote:
Cleaning products:

Drop ins for the toilet bowl.

Clean with Clorox wands as mentioned above. I keep one on every bathroom.

Oxi clean pet fresh or baking soda for accidents on
carpets then vacuum up.

Fantastic or method for the countertops

When you use these things on countertops do you wipe it down after with water? I’m always afraid of spraying my counters with products in case food gets on it.

Amarante

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:22 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I do steam mop my wood floors. They are very old so I figure I'm not doing much harm. We haven't seen any issues so far.

I spent $20,000 on my wood floors so there is NO WAY I am not going to follow recommendations for best maintenance of wood floors.

I personally don't know anyone who uses a wet mop or steamer on wood floors. They (and I) all use some variant of the Bona cleaning products. Vacuum frequently which is critical to floors since it is the grit that does the damage. Any spot spills or dirt are cleaned immediately.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:28 am
saw50st8 wrote:

We actually started with a Roborock S5 and really like it but decided to switch to this one because of its lower profile. The Roborock didn't fit under some of our furniture.

This one doesn't have the largest battery so if we run it at maximum power, it can't do the whole first floor on one charge. But then it goes back to the dock, recharges and resumes so it doesn't bother me at all.

Keep in mind that robot vacuums require more maintenance than regular vacuums. It's not a big deal at all, but you have to clean out the bin way more frequently. It is seriously life changing. We vacuum almost every day now.

Where was it on sale? It’s $$$ on Amazon.

And is it worth getting if already have a roomba?

SuperWify

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
When you use these things on countertops do you wipe it down after with water? I’m always afraid of spraying my counters with products in case food gets on it.

The method I used is specifically for granite countertops so I really can’t imagine it’s not safe for food....

SuperWify

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:22 am
Amarante wrote:
I spent $20,000 on my wood floors so there is NO WAY I am not going to follow recommendations for best maintenance of wood floors.

I personally don't know anyone who uses a wet mop or steamer on wood floors. They (and I) all use some variant of the Bona cleaning products. Vacuum frequently which is critical to floors since it is the grit that does the damage. Any spot spills or dirt are cleaned immediately.

Thanks for the recommendations! I recently moved and I have real wood flooring for the first time.

I just ordered the Bona product- hope it works. I’ve tried Murphy’s but it really doesn’t clean well.

Amarante

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:31 am
SuperWify wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations! I recently moved and I have real wood flooring for the first time.

I just ordered the Bona product- hope it works. I’ve tried Murphy’s but it really doesn’t clean well.

Murphys is actually terrible for wood. Very Happy

For the Bona and mop, you spray the mop and not the floor FWIW. They also sell a more deep cleaning product which I haven't used so I don't have that need yet.

I remodeled and my decorator was extremely knowledgable about cleaning and care of different types of stuff and so I have followed her recommendation.

I got a new dining room table and so I am using the product she recommended for it To prevent build up for dusting on wood surfaces, she recommended Endust as the other spray products build up and degrade the finish. My dining room table has a shiny finish and she recommended Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze Show Car Glaze – Exceptional Polish Restores a Deep Wet Shine to clean every six months or so.

my mama

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
What about a steam mop? Any thoughts on that? Any recommendations?

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa.....D_BwE

Love it!

amother
Orange

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 10:24 pm
saw50st8 wrote:

Thx so much Saw50St8, can you tell me where you ended up buying it from, I would look out for sales!

Last edited by amother on Sat, May 23 2020, 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry