Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Help me get through Shabbos!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 12:32 pm
It's supposed to rain. Tonight and tomorrow. I have a hyper, social kid who normally spends all Shabbos lately running around outside and talking to and engaging with the neighbors over the fences. Without this, she becomes a mess, surly and aggressive and demanding literally all of my attention. Her siblings are older and don't really spend a ton of time with her outside if meals, because they are on very different wavelengths- they like calm and quiet. But they also want to spend some time with me.

I don't have anything new for her, nor can I get anything before Shabbos. And that would only buy me tonight anyway.

Ideas? (No sympathy, please.)

avrahamama

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 12:41 pm
Uummm do you have a printer? Can you print jokes riddles conversation starters?

Hillery

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 12:44 pm
Can she read? Get her to read and memorize a story, and repeat it later for every one.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:02 pm
Rain coat and boots. Splashing outside . Why must she stay in? Even if neighbors arent out she may keep busy outdoors anyway.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:10 pm
Can she help you in the kitchen? Ask her to look through some cookbooks now before shabbos and find things you can make on shabbos for the meal and shalosh seudos?
Maybe you can make sushi rice now and make sushi salad on shabbos or boil eggs and make pretty deviled eggs, have her use her imagination and then she can spend some quality time with you on shabbos in the kitchen

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:39 pm
So while the needs the activity, what she desperately needs is the other kids. She has stopped doing so many things she loves because she will only do them with others. The thing that makes her surly when she doesn't get it is doing things "with" others, and she needs to be outside and for then to be outside to do that.

Will think about the cooking one. That might work for a bit if time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics