Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Maybe dumb question but why does tomchei shabbos need money?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:21 pm
I am truly asking out of ignorance/being dumb. but we are getting free food from the schools and anyone on food stamps is getting extra money. I'm confused why 1000s more people will need tomchei shabbos.

Can someone explain.

Again, not judging - truly curious.

amother
White

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am truly asking out of ignorance/being dumb. but we are getting free food from the schools and anyone on food stamps is getting extra money. I'm confused why 1000s more people will need tomchei shabbos.

Can someone explain.

I imagine they don't have kids.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:23 pm
That’s funny I just wrote a post about not being eligible for govt programs! There’s your answer... I don’t feel that we need tomchei shabbos, but I’m sure there are others in this situation who do.

Reality

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:25 pm
My guess? The extra government money will end when the economy opens up. But not everyone's jobs will magically reappear. A lot of people are going to be unemployed for quite some time longer. So I would assume Tomchei Shabbos is being wise and thinking about the long range needs of the frum community.

watergirl

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:26 pm
Because now, so many more people need help who never needed it before. Think of the business owner who was always doing great, but now his business is closed and his huge mortgage and full tuition payments are a struggle. He doesn’t qualify for food stamps. He also supports his married kids. They all need help. The government meals are tony portions, not enough for his 5th-12th graders. They need adult sized portions. He and his wife need to eat too... I think you get it. Now, more people asking for help then ever before.

amother
OP

I don't mean to be a rude person but those with children, struggling to put money on the table for kids - we are getting tons of free food from the schools! If someone is truly struggling there is more than enough being given out - no?

amother
OP

watergirl wrote:
Because now, so many more people need help who never needed it before. Think of the business owner who was always doing great, but now his business is closed and his huge mortgage and full tuition payments are a struggle. He doesn’t qualify for food stamps. He also supports his married kids. They all need help. The government meals are tony portions, not enough for his 5th-12th graders. They need adult sized portions. He and his wife need to eat too... I think you get it. Now, more people asking for help then ever before.

Got it - makes sense.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't mean to be a rude person but those with children, struggling to put money on the table for kids - we are getting tons of free food from the schools! If someone is truly struggling there is more than enough being given out - no?

The free food from the schools is really not enough to feed a family. Not being ungrateful for it in any way, but is that really enough for a family for shabbos especially? And it doesn’t include suppers. And what about the older kids?

amother
Tan

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:30 pm
I don’t know where you live but kosher food (free from school) is NOT available in all areas. I do NOT live oot but it’s not available in my neighborhood. Thank Gd I don’t need handouts but I’m just saying, be lucky that your community has this.

Also I had covid early on and needed food from tomchei Shabbos not because I didn’t have money but because I couldn’t cook: I was so so sick.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I don’t know where you live but kosher food (free from school) is NOT available in all areas. I do NOT live oot but it’s not available in my neighborhood. Thank Gd I don’t need handouts but I’m just saying, be lucky that your community has this.

Also I had covid early on and needed food from tomchei Shabbos not because I didn’t have money but because I couldn’t cook: I was so so sick.

She posted this in the Lakewood forum...

amother
Tan

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
She posted this in the Lakewood forum...

I don’t notice that. Sorry

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:37 pm
I'm going to go anonymous for obvious reasons.
We were doing ok before Coronavirus. Just making it. Not eligible for food stamps or any other programs, but without extra money. Paying quite a bit for tuition, health insurance, rent, etc.
I'm self employed and I haven't seen a penny of unemployment yet.
School meals give us milk, fruit, cheese, juice and pizza bagels, knishes.
Tomchei Shabbos gave us chicken for Pesach and again Shavuos. Chopped meat, gefilte fish, pasta, potatoes, onions, carrots.
The school meals wouldn't cover a fraction of supper, Shabbos for a family.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:43 pm
BECAUSE TOMCHEI SHABBOS IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NOT STARVING IN THE TRAILER PARK

AND HAVING A MENSLIKA SHABBOS/YOMTOV

its not rocket science

I am critical of many things in the frum community

But TS is one othe things they do RIGHT

malki2

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I hope you are not really serious. There are people who are completely out of work. Does a little extra money and some free packages really make up for a monthly shortfall of thousands of dollars??

notshanarishona

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Can someone explain.

Their are lots of people who make a little too much for food stamps but not enough to live.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We got the shabbos box today. We can get for 3 kids. But I also have children over 18 who are home now. We got a little container of cholent, mini pan kugel, a small challah, some rugelach, small coleslaw container and I dont remember what else. This was a nice Friday afternoon snack for my kids, not a full shabbos meal.

B"h we don't need tomchei shabbos, but for those who do this is not nearly enough food to feed a family.

I wonder if your kids are little and thats why you cant relate.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 9:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Can someone explain.

The Shabbos box was wonderful. But not food for a family for Shabbos. Just extras.

2 chicken nuggets per kid

For kids to share:
Small kugel
Small Cholent
Rolls
Fruit
Cake.
Milk
Grape juice.

That’s not really enough to feed a family for Shabbos.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 10:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Food from schools isn't enough to feed kids. Those that give prepared food, portions are small. Good for little kids, but not for teens.

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 10:46 pm
what a stupid rich girl question! food stamps isn’t enough for a jewish family!

I don’t know how we’ll pay for yom tov food!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 10:52 pm
I see posts about schools giving out food- it says come with the car, park on a certain corner, bring a pen- and I wonder how am I supposed to get it? I don't have a car. I can't carry boxes. Public transportation is risky for catching it. Some of us are at risk when traveling. and taking a car service costs money too.

They're giving out food and I wish they would deliver it to my apartment. I can't even get it from them.

I'm not in Lakewood. and I have this problem with other things too. I see posts people giving away furniture but it needs to be picked up. how am I supposed to pick it up? I don't have a car, can't carry things, can't afford a moving truck. So let's say I need a bed or fridge and someone is giving away. I don't even have a way to get it from them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries