Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Mashed potatoes

Radish

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 8:54 pm
How do you make mashed potatoes creamy and/or better tasting?

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:02 pm
Mash a raw egg into the steaming mashed potatoes. Makes it very creamy. Also add a crushed clove of garlic.

challahchallah

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 9:28 pm
I make mashed potatoes creamy with cream. Also butter.

momsrus

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:06 pm
don't spill out all the water, leave some boiling water in the pot, mix the water into it while you mash it.

You can also add chicken soup for the same but taster effect.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:10 pm
Leave some of the water in
Add some margarine or oil
Sour cream, milk, and butter for the dairy version

bsy

Post Thu, May 21 2020, 10:31 pm
When I drain the potatoes, I reserve a cup of the water and mix some back in after mashing. I keep adding until I like the texture. If not serving right away, save some of the water and add it right before

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:06 am
add a little peeled zucchini when you cook the potatoes

CatLady

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:21 am
If I'm going dairy, then I use Greek yogurt, and add some chopped herbs like dill and parsley. I like the tang the yogurt gives. If it's fleishig, then I would add the starchy cooking water till I get the desired consistency. I would also throw some peeled garlic cloves into the water, to add extra flavour.

Frumme

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:09 am
Tip: boil the potatoes with skin on, even if you plan on taking it off after (although potato skin mashed potatoes are yummy, too!)

The "jacket" keeps the potatoes themselves from absorbing too much water in the pot, which can keep them from absorbing other things like milk and butter later. Russets will probably give you the creamiest result, but golds are good, too. These varieties also absorb dairy well.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 11:26 am
I add mayonnaise when doing Pareve mashed potatoes

I add sour cream or milk and butter when doing Dairy

cholentfan1

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:02 pm
I always add sauteed onions, with whatever oil I used in the frying pan. The onions and oil give a great texture and flavor.

tweety1

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:46 pm
Ra mom, the garlic is an interesting idea. I gotta try it. Chocolate mouse your idea to. I'm gonna combine the 2. I love little twists on basic Staples.

egam

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:53 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Ra mom, the garlic is an interesting idea. I gotta try it. Chocolate mouse your idea to. I'm gonna combine the 2. I love little twists on basic Staples.

Adding roasted garlic is much better than the fresh one.

One more thing that make mashed potatoes much creamier is the use of the potato ricer instead of potato masher. But it's also more work.

In addition to butter, I also add about a cup of scalded milk or almond milk for parve version.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:56 pm
I add sour cream either dairy or pareve for tang and creaminess and caramelized onions for their flavor.

corolla

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:42 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I add mayonnaise when doing Pareve mashed potatoes

I add sour cream or milk and butter when doing Dairy

Another vote for mayo. Also, reserve some of the water when you drain the potatoes and add that in to loosen it up.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 2:49 pm
egam wrote:
Adding roasted garlic is much better than the fresh one.

One more thing that make mashed potatoes much creamier is the use of the potato ricer instead of potato masher. But it's also more work.

In addition to butter, I also add about a cup of scalded milk or almond milk for parve version.

I disagree that a potatoe ricer is more work. I only have to push the potatoes once through the ricer and I have mashed potatoes. No lumps.

Teomima

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 5:26 pm
Use a ricer. You can add other ingredients to make it richer and/or more flavorful (though I'm a simple gal, give me butter and salt any day), but the secret to a creamy texture is a ricer. I have a cheap one from Ikea and it's great. Definitely not extra work. You just put the boiled potatoes in, one by one, squeeze the lever, and that's it. No clumps, no mashing, nothing. One squeeze per potato and you're in creamy heaven. Bonus, if you want garlic mashed potatoes, boil and rice the garlic right along with the potatoes!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes