Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Complacency towards our fellow man? (Israel)

Tefila

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 3:40 pm
I sit back and think of the people in Gush Katif and say to myself so what do I do. I find a sense of feeling hopelessness leads people to b/come complacent maybe in World war 2 thats also what happend? How can we wake ourselves up to do something. I know in N.Y. they did a rally and I'm trying to say more tehillim. But what else can we do and is what we r already doing enough?????? Confused

Motek

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 5:42 pm
I read an interview of three women living in Israel, each of whom is a well-known lecturer.

They addressed your question and said as follows (excerpts follow):

Mrs. Hendel: The main focus of women must be in the spiritual arena, for this is our primary strength. We should be making emergency gatherings for women to address this topic at which time hachlatos should be made to increase in Torah, tefilla, and tzedaka. Rallies for children should also be made. Children have awesome power to avert decrees. I think there should be a massive children’s rally at the Kosel.

Mrs. Esther Piekarski: First of all, the area of tznius – in a sicha to N’shei Chabad, the Rebbe spoke about the enormous power inherent in tznius, to the extent that it impacts on the security situation in Eretz Yisrael.

So if women truly want to do something to strengthen the security in Eretz Yisrael, they should strengthen tznius among us.

Second of all, saying Tehillim – another way to express our pain is by saying Tehillim. Tehillim has the power to annul decrees.

If women gather once a week and complete the entire Tehillim together, this would be a tremendous accomplishment. If this is not convenient for some women, then just adding one chapter of Tehillim a day can certainly help.

People think that doing something means going out to the highways and giving out brochures. Actually doing something means making an actual hachlata regarding tznius, for example.

When a woman stands in front of her closet in the morning and says she won’t wear a certain blouse anymore, and another item needs the sleeves or hem lengthened because the situation in Eretz Yisrael bothers her – this is actively doing something!

In my opinion, doing this is far more powerful than standing at junctions, and it pertains to us wherever we are, not only in Eretz Yisrael.

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 1:58 pm
also see thread in Judaism section that someone started for us to write what positive resolutions we have made as a zechus for E. Yisrael

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 5:37 pm
A smile, a sincere hello, a good shabbos can make someone who'se had a bad day feel like a million dollars even if you have no clue as to who they are. What the worse that will happen if one does that. And if they strike up a conversation w/h you soo let it be for only good things and always walk w/h a smile on your face!!
Neighbors jewish or not one can wave or say hello this should not be a cultural thing but a Jewish one. This is called complacency when someone can't acknowledge anothers presence, like only they exist.
In Eretz Yisroel we don't have that every jew is connected and feels that way, but elsewhere it depends on how ones brought up shouldn't we be teaching our kids that they r not the only ones who exist and should acknowledge others presence thereby getting rid of this contagious complacent attitude.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 31 2005, 7:44 pm
Action versus complacency
told by Rabbi Y.Y. Kalmenson of New Haven, CT . He said he heard it at a kinus.

During the 2nd world war, Mrs. Shwei (the mother of Rabbi Yankel Schwei, NY) lost her husband and 2 of her 5 children. As a widow with 3 small boys, she, like so many others, traveled away from the front- eastward, until she settled in a village. She was all alone and tried her best to be mechanech her 3 boys- Boruch Sholom, Aizik and Yankel, but it was not what she really wanted in the way of chinuch for her sons.

One day a chosid from Samarkand came to the village. She urged him to take her oldest son back with him to learn in Samarkand- in a yeshiva with other boys. After the chosid agreed, she gave him the proper legal documents necessary for travel, packed a bag for Boruch sholom and bid him farewell. A while later, the chosid returned to the village, and Mrs. Schwei again begged him to take the second son, Aizik back with him. Aizik was maybe starting to learn mishnayus, and he needed a proper melamed. The chosid refused since firstly, he had not even wanted to take the responsibility of the first son, and secondly, Aizik was missing the proper legal documents. Mrs. Schwei was not to be deterred. She prepared a bag for her second son, and went to the train station. Just as the train was about to close the doors after the chosid, she pushed her son inside. The chosid found the boy and luckily they were not stopped. This son joined the first. Later, the chosid visited the village a third time. Mrs. Schwei again appealed to the chosid to take her youngest, Yankel. Despite the chosid's refusal, the story repeated itself, and she put him on the train. However, just before she did, the boy turned to his mother, started to cry that he did not want to leave her. She hugged him and promised him that she would begin making arrangements to join all her sons in Samarkand. She would see him soon.

After some time she was successful in getting the proper papers to travel. She packed what little she had and took the train to Samarkand. As she alighted, she saw a busy station and a new city. Not sure of where to go, she looked slowly around, and to her dismay, surprise and delight, she saw Yankel standing on the station, and then running to her. "How come you are here," she asked?"How did you know I would be arriving today?"

Yankel answered," When we parted, you told me you would be coming. Every day after Cheder, I come to the station to look for you. You told me you were coming, so I knew you would be here. "

Note: The Rebbe told us Moshiach is on its way. Can we experience that imminent feeling and anxiously await His coming each day in as real a fashion as Yankel did for his mother?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics