Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Face masks in schools
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:58 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
As a teacher, I agree with this. I will not wear a mask while teaching. I might pretend to, if necessary, by wearing it on my chin, but I will not cover half my face when talking to 30 children. And yes I am ready to go back to teach yesterday.
Then please let the school know that and dont go vack to work.

I dont understand, if teachers are supposed to uphold the laws, like every other citizen, and also be good role models for their students, how could you go into school and not wear a mask?

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:21 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Someone has to bring all the food up stairs to the kids, someone needs to clean up afterwards which is difficult with the kids in the classroom, it would create a lot of extra jobs / make more of a mess.
Additionally, lets say a kid wants seconds. A staff member would have to walk them downstairs to get from the lunchroom. Its just not practical in many schools.

I think you are over complicating it. Lunch would be simpler like a sandwich or equivalent. Children would put items in their bags and it would be thrown out. I went to a school without a cafeteria where many kids went home for lunch but those who stayed just ate at their desks and it wasn’t a big deal.

However, there are going to be increased costs for opening schools safely such as increased custodial staffs so that bathrooms and other common areas are cleaned more scrupulously than they are now. There is no doubt that classroom size would have to be decreased so children don’t sit so close to each other. And if kids take busses, they will have to take fewer children on each trip.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:07 am
The question should not be whether or not it is possible to get children to comply with wearing a mask.

Just a few days ago a 7 year old girl went to school in Israel wearing a sleeveless dress when dress code requires sleeves. The teacher told her to go to the bathroom and change into a shirt. She didn't have pants or a skirt, so the rest of the day the little girl had to wear just a shirt and underwear in class. It was very embarrassing for her but she complied. Point is, just because you can make children do something doesn't mean that it's okay.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:28 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
The question should not be whether or not it is possible to get children to comply with wearing a mask.

Just a few days ago a 7 year old girl went to school in Israel wearing a sleeveless dress when dress code requires sleeves. The teacher told her to go to the bathroom and change into a shirt. She didn't have pants or a skirt, so the rest of the day the little girl had to wear just a shirt and underwear in class. It was very embarrassing for her but she complied. Point is, just because you can make children do something doesn't mean that it's okay.
Wow, you got that story completely messed up.

https://m.ynet.co.il/Articles/.....-xofy

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:31 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Then please let the school know that and dont go vack to work.

I dont understand, if teachers are supposed to uphold the laws, like every other citizen, and also be good role models for their students, how could you go into school and not wear a mask?

I'd be happy for my kids to have a teacher who doesn't wear the mask, THAT'S what I would call being a good role model. I don't want my kids to be taught to blindly follow the rules. I want them to be taught that if something is unfair or unnecessarily restrictive, they davka should make waves.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:36 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

What you posted is the teacher's spin. She says the mom didn't tell her that the girl wasn't wearing pants under her dress. Dumb excuse, you can see the picture of the girl in her dress and see that there are no pants underneath. The teacher could have seen that, she didn't need the mother to tell her. Also the mother is a new Russian speaking immigrant.

According to witnesses in the classroom, once the girl returned to class the teacher told her in front of everyone "I guess your mother wants you to wear underwear".

shabbatiscoming

I'd be happy for my kids to have a teacher who doesn't wear the mask, THAT'S what I would call being a good role model. I don't want my kids to be taught to blindly follow the rules. I want them to be taught that if something is unfair or unnecessarily restrictive, they davka should make waves.
I dont see why having to wear a mask is unfair or unnecessarily restrictive? We arent talking about forever.
But im not going to argue with you. We obviously feel very different on this subject.

DrMom

shabbatiscoming wrote:

Yeah.

The girl's mother gave her a sweater to take with her I case the a/c was too strong, but the teacher wouldn't let her put it on because it did not have the school logo. So instead, the teacher got her an extra t-shirt and forced her to change out of her dress and into the t-shirt with no skirt/pants underneath, and to sit like that in class all day.

The mother, BTW, was a new immigrant and didn't understand all the rules.

I have no idea what that has to do with wearing or not wearing masks.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:39 am
What you posted is the teacher's spin. She says the mom didn't tell her that the girl wasn't wearing pants under her dress. Dumb excuse, you can see the picture of the girl in her dress and see that there are no pants underneath. The teacher could have seen that, she didn't need the mother to tell her. Also the mother is a new Russian speaking immigrant.

According to witnesses in the classroom, once the girl returned to class the teacher told her in front of everyone "I guess your mother wants you to wear underwear".
He said, she said. None of us were there so lets not speculate.
But what in the world does this have to do with masks in school?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:45 am
Why couldn't she wear the sleeveless dress/jumper over the shirt?

DrMom

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:57 am

Would the teacher be a good role model if she decided that it was unnecessarily restrictive to cover her hair or wear modest clothes, so she went to class with loose hair and skinny jeans and a low-cut top? Even if the school had a dress code for teachers?

As a parent, I expect my kids' teachers to follow rules that the school lays out. Not because I want to lord over the teachers and micro-manage their lives, but because I want to know what to expect when I send my child to your establishment.

If the school or local govt assures me that staff and students will wear masks to reduce the risk of infection, I will weigh this information when I decide whether or not to send my child there. What if I am an older parent or I have a tendency toward asthma?

You should send a note to the parents openly stating that you have no intention of wearing a mask while teaching, and let them use that info when they decide if their child should attend your school. At least they'll know that they are getting into.

Last edited by DrMom on Fri, May 22 2020, 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:58 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

Good question!

Ask the nasty psychopath teacher.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:22 am
DrMom wrote:
Would the teacher be a good role model if she decided that it was unnecessarily restrictive to cover her hair or wear modest clothes, so she went to class with loose hair and skinny jeans and a low-cut top? Even if the school had a dress code for teachers?

As a parent, I expect my kids' teachers to follow rules that the school lays out. Not because I want to lord over the teachers and micro-manage their lives, but because I want to know what to expect when I send my child to your establishment.

If the school or local govt assures me that staff and students will wear masks to reduce the risk of infection, I will weigh this information when I decide whether or not to send my child there. What if I am an older parent or I have a tendency toward asthma?

You should send a note to the parents openly stating that you have no intention of wearing a mask while teaching, and let them use that info when they decide if their child should attend your school. At least they'll know that they are getting into.

Not the same at all. If a parent doesn't agree with the school's dress code, they can and should send to a different school, even a public school. While some schools will be more strict about masks and some less strict, the less strict ones CAN'T come out and say "hey, we think masks are harmful to our students and we're not going to use them" because they'd be persecuted by the government who made the tyrannical rule without even having a vote on it. So it's illegal to have a parent body and school staff who decide that masks aren't best for their kids. It's legal to have a parent body and school staff who decide shorts and tank tops are fine (unless you are in Iran, etc).

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:26 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

She clearly wanted to hurt and humiliate the little girl and thought she'd get away with it. When the public found out and wanted to lynch her she starts crying "But I love my students! It's all the mother's fault because when I called her she didn't tell me that the girl wasn't wearing pants!"

It has to do with masks because the little girl complied with a cruel request. I was making the point that whether or not children will actually wear the masks should be irrelevant, because you CAN force children to do things that you SHOULDN'T force them to do.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:37 am
I haven’t read every post but this thread seems to be veering toward a vaxx/antivaxx type debate. It makes me wonder how this issue will play out IRL

wiki

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:22 pm
Speaking as a teacher here, and as a parent of kids learning on zoom...

I can't wait to get back in the classroom and to have my kids get back in the classroom. Learning on zoom is just a fraction of a real education, for almost everyone.

Our options are to wait until the vaccine, or to go back with mask wearing. Mask wearing is 75 percent effective at slowing the spread of infection. It is just about the cheapest and most effective thing anyone can do right now.

I'm sure there's a lot of the learning experience that would be lost with the bottom half of everyone's faces obscured. But let's be honest--there's an enormous part of the learning experience missing these days anyway.

I'd be back in the classroom all in masks in a heartbeat over distance learning. Speaking as a teacher and as a parent.

(But my realistic guess for Fall 2020 is that we'll have school until around 1 pm in school and then go home and have an afternoon session on zoom for other classes.)

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:50 pm
wiki wrote:
Speaking as a teacher here, and as a parent of kids learning on zoom...

I can't wait to get back in the classroom and to have my kids get back in the classroom. Learning on zoom is just a fraction of a real education, for almost everyone.

Our options are to wait until the vaccine, or to go back with mask wearing. Mask wearing is 75 percent effective at slowing the spread of infection. It is just about the cheapest and most effective thing anyone can do right now.

I'm sure there's a lot of the learning experience that would be lost with the bottom half of everyone's faces obscured. But let's be honest--there's an enormous part of the learning experience missing these days anyway.

I'd be back in the classroom all in masks in a heartbeat over distance learning. Speaking as a teacher and as a parent.

(But my realistic guess for Fall 2020 is that we'll have school until around 1 pm in school and then go home and have an afternoon session on zoom for other classes.)

I totally hear you and what you are saying makes sense (except that I have a bit of a hard time believing that kids will actually leave their masks on). I feel the opposite (also as a teacher and parent of kids on Zoom).....I'd rather Zoom over school with masks required. Maybe if my kids and I didn't have sensory issues I would feel differently.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 4:56 pm
I dont think by Sept they'll still require masks. And I can assure you, the kids will not keep them on. It's not gonna happen.

Amarante

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:02 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I dont think by Sept they'll still require masks. And I can assure you, the kids will not keep them on. It's not gonna happen.

Obviously no one knows the future but I can’t imagine that masks won’t be required if schools open. The virus will still be around and a second wave is predicted so why would this precaution not be required. Any less would be negligent in the part of schools.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:36 pm
obviously chv if there is a real 2nd wave then the schools will comply.
If the numbers are as low and quiet as now, they probably wont.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics