Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Open NYC now!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:23 pm
Einikel wrote:
State?

Yes BH no new cases reported today.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health.....24546

Einikel

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:

That’s great news!

CiCi

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:36 pm
southernbubby wrote:
So maybe you know; what's the deal with the new business loan?

I don't think people are interested in loans, whether they are interest free or not. They just want to make the money to keep their businesses running, pay their bills and feed their families.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:37 pm
momsrus wrote:
With all that's going on, I will make sure to vote in a Republican now.

Slowly slowly hopefully the tide is turning.

icedcoffee

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:44 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Wait, where are you seeing that there hasn't been a single new case in all of New York State? That is definitely not correct.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:48 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Wait, where are you seeing that there hasn't been a single new case in all of New York State? That is definitely not correct.

I received an alert from NBC News Now. Can you guide me on how to post a picture here?

icedcoffee

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:56 pm
If you go to the page to post a reply (as opposed to quick reply on the bottom), under the text box it says "upload images" if it's in your files or "post images" if it's a picture on the internet.

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:56 pm
CiCi wrote:
I don't think people are interested in loans, whether they are interest free or not. They just want to make the money to keep their businesses running, pay their bills and feed their families.

So Cuomo said today that businesses will open according to CDC guidance which will probably mean that restaurants will open at a loss until it's safe to fill all of the tables. Wouldn't it help to be able to pay the rent until then?

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:58 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
If you go to the page to post a reply (as opposed to quick reply on the bottom), under the text box it says "upload images" if it's in your files or "post images" if it's a picture on the internet.

It's asking me to "enter the image web link starting with https://". I only have an image, no web link. You can PM me and I can text it to you.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:03 pm
southernbubby wrote:
So Cuomo said today that businesses will open according to CDC guidance which will probably mean that restaurants will open at a loss until it's safe to fill all of the tables. Wouldn't it help to be able to pay the rent until then?

That's a good point, having the money for rent and other basics. However, it takes time and effort to apply for state programs and another while until you get the money. And then still worrying about paying it back...I think at the forefront of everyone's mind is just to let businesses open and things will work out.

Amarante

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:03 pm
southernbubby wrote:

Not sure what you are asking about.

Restaurants have a HUGE problem in terms of opening up since the costs for opening a restaurant are quite high since they have to stock food which would go to waste if needed eaten.

Also most restaurants operate on thin profit margins so would be difficult for them to be profitable if they can only operate with 50% capacity.

I have been reading a lot from chefs who run independent (non-chain) restaurants and many of them don't feel that they can open realistically since they would lose money. This prevented some of them from signing up for the funds because the time frame in which they would have to open was unrealistic and therefore the money wouldn't have solved their problems.

Restaurants are different than stores which sell retail goods for example although stores obviously have to figure how much to stock and of what kind. But a restaurant needs to order food in order to open and food has a much shorter life than a blouse does if customers don't come in.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:11 pm
https://I.imgur.com/moSrACt.png

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:14 pm
Amarante wrote:
Not sure what you are asking about.

Restaurants have a HUGE problem in terms of opening up since the costs for opening a restaurant are quite high since they have to stock food which would go to waste if needed eaten.

Also most restaurants operate on thin profit margins so would be difficult for them to be profitable if they can only operate with 50% capacity.

I have been reading a lot from chefs who run independent (non-chain) restaurants and many of them don't feel that they can open realistically since they would lose money. This prevented some of them from signing up for the funds because the time frame in which they would have to open was unrealistic and therefore the money wouldn't have solved their problems.

Restaurants are different than stores which sell retail goods for example although stores obviously have to figure how much to stock and of what kind. But a restaurant needs to order food in order to open and food has a much shorter life than a blouse does if customers don't come in.

But eating in the restaurant is the reason that I would buy the blouse. I don't need the blouse to eat at home; I have a tee shirt for that. The restaurant is part of the economic chain. Lose the restaurant and you lose the clothing stores.

wiki

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/moSrACt.png

I think this image is saying that between midnight and 2:28 am, there were no new reported cases in NYC.

wiki

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:31 pm
New York State has reported over 1,000 new cases a day every day for over two months now. It will not go down to zero in a day.

https://www.google.com/search?.....state

Amarante

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:35 pm
southernbubby wrote:
But eating in the restaurant is the reason that I would buy the blouse. I don't need the blouse to eat at home; I have a tee shirt for that. The restaurant is part of the economic chain. Lose the restaurant and you lose the clothing stores.

I agree with you as it is a chicken and egg thing.

Between people realistically having less money or being nervous about their income and the realistic dangers of mingling for non-essential stuff, the idea that the economy will magically return to "normal" if all restrictions are lifted is a fantasy.

Until people are assured they are safe, no one I know is resuming life as they lived it before the pandemic. Facebook and Google are planning to continue to allow their workforce to work from home. Facebook has even announced that it will do this permanently and will adjust salaries based on cost of living where the worker decides to live so they aren't chained to the expensive Silicone Valley and Seattle high tech areas.

Not to be a broken record, but until the same safeguards practiced at the White House are available for every worker, why would anyone choose to be a guinea pig or mine canary.

ETA - Those people on imamother who feel that everything should open without restriction because everyone has been exposed are a minority in the "real world". I don't know anyone who hasn't gotten the virus or whose family hasn't who is cavalier about getting it or isn't worried about friends and family getting ill. And polling seems to indicate that the vast majority of people in the US do NOT support lifting restrictions until it is "safe" according to what mainstream experts advise.

csa123

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:43 pm
Amarante wrote:
I agree with you as it is a chicken and egg thing.

Between people realistically having less money or being nervous about their income and the realistic dangers of mingling for non-essential stuff, the idea that the economy will magically return to "normal" if all restrictions are lifted is a fantasy.

Until people are assured they are safe, no one I know is resuming life as they lived it before the pandemic. Facebook and Google are planning to continue to allow their workforce to work from home. Facebook has even announced that it will do this permanently and will adjust salaries based on cost of living where the worker decides to live so they aren't chained to the expensive Silicone Valley and Seattle high tech areas.

Not to be a broken record, but until the same safeguards practiced at the White House are available for every worker, why would anyone choose to be a guinea pig or mine canary.

ETA - Those people on imamother who feel that everything should open without restriction because everyone has been exposed are a minority in the "real world". I don't know anyone who hasn't gotten the virus or whose family hasn't who is cavalier about getting it or isn't worried about friends and family getting ill. And polling seems to indicate that the vast majority of people in the US do NOT support lifting restrictions until it is "safe" according to what mainstream experts advise.

People are willing to do it. I’m willing to do it. I will resume as much of my prior life as the government allows.
So saying that people won’t resume normal activities is incorrect

Also 60% are in favor of continuing shutdown orders. I wouldn’t call that a vast majority. And as time continues support will only continue to wane.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/t.....3famp

amother
Gold

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:43 pm
https://I.imgur.com/piESXuQ.jpg

Definitely are new cases

Amarante

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:47 pm
csa123 wrote:
People are willing to do it. I’m willing to do it. I will resume as much of my prior life as the government allows.
So saying that people won’t resume normal activities is incorrect

Also 60% are in favor of continuing shutdown orders. I wouldn’t call that a vast majority. And as time continues support will only continue to wane.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/t.....3famp

If you dig into the numbers, the 60% figure is for a lockdown which means nothing open for anything rather than lifting restrictions in a safe manner.

I also think there is a huge divide in terms of geography. The support for social distancing restrictions would be much higher in places which have experienced large numbers of cases versus areas in rural parts of the US which have few or none and therefore don't feel that it is a significant problem because they don't know anyone who has had it.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/ne.....-poll

Some interesting subtleties in terms of demographic support including black/white and male/female as well as what constitutes "essential" activity and what people are willing to do. What a surprise as men are more willing to engage in high risk behavior - e.g. go to a bar.

gold21

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 4:07 pm
I have some bad news. Governor Cuomo has a wholesale and fundemental lack of understanding of the situation. Today, he referenced studies that show that mask-wearing is protective to the wearer, and echoed these studies with his own statements backing this theory.

Throw him out of office for this absurd statement!

PS I agree with him
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics