Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Amtrak from NYC, New York to Orlando, FL
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:09 pm
Has anyone here gone with Amtrak from New York to Orlando Florida? Is it doable with children? Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Disclaimer: I am not asking your opinion if I should go or not. I will report your post If you turns this into a bashing threat.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:12 pm
My parents did it. It takes about 24 hours. I think there are direct trains.
I would absolutely not do it with kids. I don't think it's possible to keep them cooped up in a train for 24 hours. Even for adults it's crazy.
It's a very scenic ride though.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:18 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I would absolutely not do it with kids. I don't think it's possible to keep them cooped up in a train for 24 hours. Even for adults it's crazy.

It's either this or driving down. My passport expired, I have no way of getting a new one right now.

cbg

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's either this or driving down. My passport expired, I have no way of getting a new one right now.

You have no other form of ID

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:22 pm
cbg wrote:
You have no other form of ID

This. You don't need a passport for domestic flights, just a valid form of ID. I believe that a NY driver's license or NYS ID is acceptable.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You don't need a passport to fly domestic.
And driving is shorter than the train and you can make stops. It makes more sense with kids.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:29 pm
You don't need a passport to fly domestic.
And driving is shorter than the train and you can make stops. It makes more sense with kids.

If I remember correctly I heard they passed a law that only passports are acceptable for domestic flights.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I remember correctly I heard they passed a law that only passports are acceptable for domestic flights.

It’s either passport or the new licenses. Find out if your license is already a real id

amother
Green

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That is not in effect yet. You can fly with any form of picture I'd. I believe an expired passport can also work for domestic travel but not 100% sure I remember correctly. Maybe someone else here knows?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
It’s either passport or the new licenses. Find out if your license is already a real id

Nope it's not.

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:38 pm
RealID goes into effect October 2021.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:53 pm
When you drive, you have more control over your schedule. And if a kid won't stop screaming, ok; not fun, but not disturbing others. Also, a train car sized space for that amount of time seems like the perfect environment to get Covid.

cnc

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That only goes into effect in October.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:59 pm
Thanks everyone, I'll look into the IDs that I have if they are valid.

I would love to hear from somebody that traveled with kids with an Amtrak.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

When did it expire? You may be able to fly with an expired passport as ID, so long as it is within a relatively short period of time. Check FAA rules and also call the airline. I couldn't find the answer easily, sorry.

DH talks about a relative who was afraid of flying and took the train to Miami. It was so awful, she flew back. This was years ago, though.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:02 pm

If it’s a scenic ride I don’t see the problem. Kids are used to being cooped up these days (some more than others). Is there room to walk around a little bit? Possible to bring along activities to do on the way? I’d prefer this option over driving.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:05 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
If it’s a scenic ride I don’t see the problem. Kids are used to being cooped up these days (some more than others). Is there room to walk around a little bit? Possible to bring along activities to do on the way? I’d prefer this option over driving.

Kids don't care much for scenic. It gets boring very fast. It's a train, not much space to run around. And there might be othes in the car. A 24 hour train ride with kids is recipe for disaster.
Kids are used to being cooped up in a house, not in a train car for 24 hours straight. It's torture.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:07 pm
We drive with adult kids and it’s great
We take the car and then the train ride is overnight so everybody goes to sleep
Make sure to arrive early enough if you want to put your car on and you need to make reservations for every member plus your car
It’s not cheap, but equal to hotel and car rental rental
You arrive early morning and have to wait around an hour until you get your car off and then it’s a short drive
For the kids the inside is similar to being on a plane but since it’s overnight hopefully they should sleep most if the way

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:08 pm
Kids don't care much for scenic. It gets boring very fast. It's a train, not much space to run around. And there might be othes in the car. A 24 hour train ride with kids is recipe for disaster.
Kids are used to being cooped up in a house, not in a train car for 24 hours straight.

I thought Amtraks are more spacious than regular trains. I was thinking a tablecloth on floor with activities like play doh etc... of course it’s not to compare to a house. 18 hours in a car isn’t either. She compared it to driving not flying.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:12 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I thought Amtraks are more spacious than regular trains. I was thinking a tablecloth on floor with activities like play doh etc... of course it’s not to compare to a house. 18 hours in a car isn’t either. She compared it to driving not flying.

A train is like being on a coach bus for 24 hours. You can't spread a blanket on the floor, there's very little space and you can't block the isle.
In a car you're not cooped up for 18 hours. You stop periodically to stretch your legs and run around.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries