Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Trump announces that houses of worship are ‘essential’
Previous  1  2  3  Next

fleetwood

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 4:58 pm
shyshira wrote:
Source?

No source. Because it's false. We have a Constitution. Trump is not a dictator.

avrahamama

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:01 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
It's meant to allow more than 10 people.

I think this too. I'm surprised that only ten people at a time are allowed for worship. But for grocery stores etc. The numbers are according to size of building. (If that's even enforced...)

I mean I know of many shuls that have enough doors for entry and exit and a sanctuary large enough to accommodate more than 10 and still maintain SD.

Blessing1

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:01 pm
fleetwood wrote:
No source. Because it's false. We have a Constitution. Trump is not a dictator.

It says in the constitution that the president may not override a governors law? Doesn't the president get to make these decisions?

itsmeima

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:09 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
It says in the constitution that the president may not override a governors law? Doesn't the president get to make these decisions?

Overriding, how?

fleetwood

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:23 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

Tenth amendment,states rights. In any case,even if there was some federal power over the states in regards to this,it needs to go through Congress. We are a Republic ,not a dictator ship.

Cheiny

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:28 pm
freilich wrote:
There’s a joke going around, if trump would say not to reopen, the blue states would of long opened.

Oh well..

Indeed. If their hatred weren’t so sad and irrational, it would be funny....

shyshira

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:39 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Indeed. If their hatred weren’t so sad and irrational, it would be funny....

Is it possible to discuss any topic at hand without turning it onto liberal bashing?

chany-frum

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:42 pm
McEnany Admits Trump Can’t Override the Governors

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany was asked several times by different reporters what authority the president has to “override the governors” to reopen churches and she avoided directly answering the question.

Finally, she admitted “that’s up to the governors.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:50 pm
chany-frum wrote:
McEnany Admits Trump Can’t Override the Governors

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany was asked several times by different reporters what authority the president has to “override the governors” to reopen churches and she avoided directly answering the question.

Finally, she admitted “that’s up to the governors.

Of course. That's why he did it. It plays to his base, and lets him blame someone else.

If large churches were to open, without social distancing, he'd deny that was his intent while patting himself on the back for the fact that only 100,000 people died in 3 months.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:08 pm
This is a politically astute move even if the actual authority resides with the governors.

UQT

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:23 pm
He’s probably relying on the fact that keeping religious houses of worship closed is not constitutional

fleetwood

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:41 pm
UQT wrote:
He’s probably relying on the fact that keeping religious houses of worship closed is not constitutional

For public safety,it is absolutely constitutional. The Supreme Court ruled on this.

fleetwood

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:43 pm
fleetwood wrote:
For public safety,it is absolutely constitutional. The Supreme Court ruled on this.

In fact, I believe it was Justice Scalia, a devout Catholic who wrote the majority opinion. I'll look it up tomorrow .

itsmeima

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:36 am
If you are okay with this, you aren't a conservative!

(I wonder what would happen if after Sandy Hook Obama would make a grand announcement that all governors have the right to confiscate everyone's weapons. It would never happen, but just imagine... )

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:38 am
shyshira wrote:
Is it possible to discuss any topic at hand without turning it onto liberal bashing?

And can't the liberals stop bashing Trump at every turn?

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:06 am
fleetwood wrote:

Trump can enforce this by ordering Attorney General William Barr and the Justice Department to file federal lawsuits against states that infringe on the First Amendment rights of their citizens.

Federal judges are the ones with the legal power to override governors' orders.

fleetwood

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:34 am
Squishy wrote:
Trump can enforce this by ordering Attorney General William Barr and the Justice Department to file federal lawsuits against states that infringe on the First Amendment rights of their citizens.

Federal judges are the ones with the legal power to override governors' orders.

Hey, he can do whatever he wants, doesn't mean he will succeed.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:01 am
shyshira wrote:

Seems to be a case of liberal derangement syndrome aka LDS. Cool

youngishbear

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:40 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
This is a politically astute move even if the actual authority resides with the governors.

This.

People around here are so excited, they were talking about inserting a prayer on his behalf in all the minyanim, legal or otherwise, that have been operating undisturbed, with or without Trump's declarations.

Americans - and especially people who pride themselves on not having missed a minyan through Covid - don't read the Constitution, nor do they ask what statements like these actually mean in the practical sense, especially coming days after the governor has already allowed gatherings of ten people, and in a state where houses of worship had never actually shut down in the first place.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:52 am
avrahamama wrote:
I think this too. I'm surprised that only ten people at a time are allowed for worship. But for grocery stores etc. The numbers are according to size of building. (If that's even enforced...)

I mean I know of many shuls that have enough doors for entry and exit and a sanctuary large enough to accommodate more than 10 and still maintain SD.

I'm glad minyanim are starting with guidelines. But you can't compare to a store, where you pass people and don't linger. With minyanim, people are davening out loud. Masks ARE necessary. Guidelines should be followed meticulously as much as if not more so than stores.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics