Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
June weddings in New York
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:12 pm
We were told by the hall that we will iyh be allowed to have 60 couples, yay! Bh!

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:13 pm
This is wonderful news! Can I ask where in NY?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:05 pm
Brooklyn
I think all the halls got together and decided this together
For weddings that were booked after shavuous
And the price is not much less than for 200 couples!!!
It has to start 4:00 and end 10
No coming and going
Everybody needs to stay whole time and nobody can come just for chuppa or dancing

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Brooklyn
No coming and going
Everybody needs to stay whole time and nobody can come just for chuppa or dancing

This is such light at the end of the tunnel. So glad to hear. Mazel tov.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:32 pm
I heard that the prices for small weddings are outrageous. Why are we allowing this to happen?

little neshamala

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:37 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I heard that the prices for small weddings are outrageous. Why are we allowing this to happen?

I was just thinking this...the outdoor weddings ive seen posted recently seem so much nicer than the proposed restricted wedding. And to pay serious money for it? Why?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:38 pm
Yup they are totally taking advantage of the situation
They told me I can gladly give up my date because people are offering lots of money to have a semi decent wedding!
But they told us that it costs them so much money because they need the staff etc

little neshamala

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 7:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yup they are totally taking advantage of the situation
They told me I can gladly give up my date because people are offering lots of money to have a semi decent wedding!
But they told us that it costs them so much money because they need the staff etc

I hear their reasoning for the high price...I just dont get why anyone would do it...
But maybe im just super enamored by the cheaper, outdoor wedding idea...
Im typical yeshivish, monsey born and bred and before covid would never have considered it. Now I can honestly say if when my kids are getting married (years down the road, IH this parsha will be long in the past by then) if the other side would consider a cheaper , gorgeous, outdoor wedding I would jump at the opportunity.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 8:39 pm
Hahahahhaha. The price for these small weddings is what we pay out of town! Now you feel our pain!

I can't tell you how many people come from New York and snub their noses at our weddings because they're so simple, but meanwhile we pay two to three times as much as you guys.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 9:33 pm
Backyard weddings don’t end up being cheaper than those in halls.
The ones that were last minute weddings may have been cheaper, but the ones that have ample time for booking properties, and for planning have an equivalent cost to the ones in halls.
For a decent backyard wedding you have to take into account renting a backyard, an event planner, tent, tables and chairs, caterer, photographer etc...
I’ve seen advertisements for a $4000 plus rental of just a house with a backyard.

EPL

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 9:49 pm
If you're doing a small wedding, there's no need to rent a large Jewish wedding hall. You can find any hall that's small, does one wedding at a time, and ask whether you can bring in your own caterer. Then just find a caterer that's willing to go kasher out the kitchen. It's done all the time in fancy hotels. You will end up saving money and having a more beautiful, intimate, affair at a place that not everyone has used. You can locate different halls in Bride magazines.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 9:54 pm
Making a small wedding isn’t that much cheaper. You save a bit on food. But same other expenses.
(Photographer, caterer, music, hall)

And backyard weddings aren’t cheap. just renting chuppa and other supplies are expensive.
Waiters to setup and cleanup.
Food most people are preordering sealed for safety reason. No buffets or open food and drink.
Still paying photographer. And music.
The savings aren’t what ppl think.
Brooklyn hall wedding prices are a joke - just no one realizes compared to oot weddings.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 9:57 pm
EPL wrote:
If you're doing a small wedding, there's no need to rent a large Jewish wedding hall. You can find any hall that's small, does one wedding at a time, and ask whether you can bring in your own caterer. Then just find a caterer that's willing to go kasher out the kitchen. It's done all the time in fancy hotels. You will end up saving money and having a more beautiful, intimate, affair at a place that not everyone has used. You can locate different halls in Bride magazines.

Non Jew small wedding halls cost 1/2 the price as a Brooklyn wedding.

My oot hall rental only was 1/2 the price of an entire Lakewood wedding. And didn’t include the flowers, chuppah, kallah chair, and many things you take for granted at a Jewish halls (aisle runner, candles, glass to break, plate to break, chuppah kos) The expenses added up so quickly.

giselle

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 9:59 pm
Personally I love the idea of a gorgeous outdoor wedding. Nothing to do with the cost. I hope this is still en vogue when I marry off my kids!

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 10:03 pm
Why does everyone have to stay the whole time? What if someone is late, or has to leave early?

amother
Coral

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 10:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Brooklyn
No coming and going

I hope that doesn't include the makeup artist lol. I can understand no one coming but going? Why not?

I'm a MUA waiting to hear from my clients what they decided.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:03 pm
While this sounds like great news, am I the only one wondering if there's any legal basis for it? As I understand it, there are still legal caps on indoor gatherings in NY, and even more so NYC. So what authority does a hall have at this point to choose some new arbitrary cap for next month? Did government policy change, and if not, aren't you nervous about being shut down mid-simcha?

mig100

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:04 pm
little neshamala wrote:
I was just thinking this...the outdoor weddings ive seen posted recently seem so much nicer than the proposed restricted wedding. And to pay serious money for it? Why?

They are beautiful to watch the videos. I can imagine planning is rather complicated.

What do you do if it rains? ( unless u live in israel) pushing off a wedding is complicated to say lightly. Changing venue last minute is also

How would you serve food?

Doing the arrangements to bring every item needed is a big added stress.

Where are u finding a backyard big enough for eimmediate family and a few friends of the chassan, kallah, and each set of parents, with a kitchen and bathroom

Asking seriously. I know someone looking

Last edited by mig100 on Sat, May 23 2020, 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coral

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:08 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
While this sounds like great news, am I the only one wondering if there's any legal basis for it? As I understand it, there are still legal caps on indoor gatherings in NY, and even more so NYC. So what authority does a hall have at this point to choose some new arbitrary cap for next month? Did government policy change, and if not, aren't you nervous about being shut down mid-simcha?

Maybe it's the same idea like Elon Musk saying we're opening up regardless, arrest me if you want.
Or the churches in MO (I think?) saying we are all opening up together no matter what.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:25 pm
mig100 wrote:
They are beautiful to watch the videos. I can imagine planning is rather complicated.

What do you do if it rains? ( unless u live in israel) pushing off a wedding is complicated to say lightly. Changing venue last minute is also

How would you serve food?

Doing the arrangements to bring every item needed is a big added stress.

Where are u finding a backyard big enough for eimmediate family and a few friends of the chassan, kallah, and each set of parents, with a kitchen and bathroom

Asking seriously. I know someone looking

Rain - ppl push off until next day bec so small - just family.
Food - normally buffet. But due to covid now serving sealed meals on tray and sealed drinks.
Backyards - in Toms River Lakewood ppl using backyards. Others scared of police going further like Amish farms. Some caterers have backyards setup to rent so worth calling.
Rental companies drop off and pickup. Waiters to setup and cleanup.
Use a party planner to coordinate.
It’s much more work to plan.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics