Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
No to Reb Shimon, yes to concerts!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:48 pm
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 5:59 pm
Yes complete double standard
Is it true that Bene Brak and Meah Shearim are on total lock down with military servelence
This is what I heard and that these places were not the highest outbreak
Not sure if this is true someone please clarify

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:02 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Is it true that Bene Brak and Meah Shearim are on total lock down with military servelence

who cares.

Chareidim will always be villified.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:13 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
who cares.

Chareidim will always be villified.

I care
It hurts when brothers fight 😢

Elfrida

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 2:21 pm
Meah Shearim is not under lockdown, and there is no military surveillance. I was there last week. Haven't been to Bnei Brak lately, but as far as I know there is no lockdown there either.

They were both under quarantine around Pesach, Bnei Brak for a longer period than Meah Shearim, due to the high number of cases there. The army assisted in enforcing this. So were other areas of Jerusalem, and a bit later Beit Shemesh. And some other areas of the country, not all chareidi.

Now they are under the same restrictions as the rest of the country, opening up rather rapidly.

etky

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 2:25 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

No. Not true.
And the concert was indeed a disgrace.
A complete free for all that might have very unfortunate consequences.

ora_43

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 3:35 pm
As much as I love how the religious media turns everything into a plot by the evil chilonim against the holy Torah...

It makes very little sense to expect events that happened several days apart to have the same restrictions.

Less than a month ago, Independence Day celebrations were entirely virtual. (if you don't understand Hebrew, just check out the before and after pictures - last year on the left, this year on the right.

Lag B'Omer was almost two weeks ago. At that point, 150 people were allowed to celebrate together in Meron.

And now we're post-heatwave, after a massive drop in cases. And yes, the concert sounds like a terrible idea, but it's also very much in line with the extreme reduction in restrictions over the past week. Schools just reopened, shuls reopened, workplaces reopened, restaurants are reopening. (ETA: and Jerusalem Day parades were allowed, with several hundred people).

It doesn't make any more sense to say "but if they allowed the concert, why not Lag B'Omer parties" than it would to say "but if they allowed a gathering on Lag B'Omer, why not on Yom Ha'atzmaut."

ora_43

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 3:45 pm
The other huge difference is that the Tel Aviv event was technically a "protest."

Does that make sense? No.

But it does explain how they got a permit. It's always been policy here to allow protests, even when restrictions were tightest.

Hareidim should have called their events Lag B'Omer protests Wink .

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 9:57 pm
ora_43 wrote:
As much as I love how the religious media turns everything into a plot by the evil chilonim against the holy Torah...

It makes very little sense to expect events that happened several days apart to have the same restrictions.

Less than a month ago, Independence Day celebrations were entirely virtual. (if you don't understand Hebrew, just check out the before and after pictures - last year on the left, this year on the right.

Lag B'Omer was almost two weeks ago. At that point, 150 people were allowed to celebrate together in Meron.

And now we're post-heatwave, after a massive drop in cases. And yes, the concert sounds like a terrible idea, but it's also very much in line with the extreme reduction in restrictions over the past week. Schools just reopened, shuls reopened, workplaces reopened, restaurants are reopening. (ETA: and Jerusalem Day parades were allowed, with several hundred people).

It doesn't make any more sense to say "but if they allowed the concert, why not Lag B'Omer parties" than it would to say "but if they allowed a gathering on Lag B'Omer, why not on Yom Ha'atzmaut."
There's still restriction at kever rashbi, whereas the concert was a free wheelie.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 10:01 pm
ora_43 wrote:
The other huge difference is that the Tel Aviv event was technically a "protest."

Does that make sense? No.

But it does explain how they got a permit. It's always been policy here to allow protests, even when restrictions were tightest.

Hareidim should have called their events Lag B'Omer protests Wink .

Chareidim don't lie. Wink

Lag baomer will never be called a protest on pretense of getting a permit to celebrate.

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 10:44 pm
How can you even think that it makes sense to jump from events with 150 attendees to one with 5,000 in a week and a half??

In the U.S., they're not talking about having live sports events until mid-summer, at the earliest. No one is even thinking about any crowds in the hundreds, let alone thousands.

Yes. Double-standard and should not have happened.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Chareidim don't lie. Wink

Lag baomer will never be called a protest on pretense of getting a permit to celebrate.

Your being naive.

I know someone who is proud to have busted into Kever Rashbi on lag baomer. He didn’t do it alone.

They came from meah Shearim.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:30 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Your being naive.

I know someone who is proud to have busted into Kever Rashbi on lag baomer. He didn’t do it alone.

Busted isn't lying.. Wink
if there is no key...

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 12:10 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Your being naive.

They were smart.

Lag Baomer isn't a concert that can be performed any random day of the year. Lag Baomer is yud ches iyar every year, once a year. Chalakeh is once in a lifetime. Locking down Meron was wrong on all fronts. There should've been a wiser way to make it work, either through drive-thrus or alloted appts, anything.

And just because independence day was cancelled, Meron shouldn't have been penalized. It isn't this for that, it isn't a comparison at all.

Only the richies and powers were allowed, among them dignitaries who have never in their lifetime set a foot in Meron LB. Suddenly they were there, "enjoying" the "festivities", while the annual regulars were locked out.

They followed their heart and found their way.

I wish I could've done the same, but we were stuck in NY. Mad

ora_43

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 2:43 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
How can you even think that it makes sense to jump from events with 150 attendees to one with 5,000 in a week and a half??

It doesn't make sense. That's why Israeli posters here are saying that this is stupid and we hope there aren't bad consequences.

But the same could be said about a dozen other decisions over the past week and a half, many of which mostly benefit frum people. Why are shuls opening, when small, indoor spaces where people are singing, and staying for hours, are basically the single most virus-friendly situation? Why were the Jerusalem Day organizers allowed to have a crowd of several hundred?

There's a big difference between saying that the reopening isn't cautious enough, and saying that there's a double standard where hilonim get to do what they want and hareidim don't.

ora_43

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 2:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And just because independence day was cancelled, Meron shouldn't have been penalized. It isn't this for that, it isn't a comparison at all.

I didn't say that. I'm saying that it's not fair to accuse Tel Aviv residents of not taking this seriously, when they completely cancelled what are usually some of the biggest celebrations of the year. Secular Israelis have sacrificed every bit as much as religious Israelis have.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 4:37 am
ora_43 wrote:
I didn't say that. I'm saying that it's not fair to accuse Tel Aviv residents of not taking this seriously, when they completely cancelled what are usually some of the biggest celebrations of the year. Secular Israelis have sacrificed every bit as much as religious Israelis have.

The concert proves otherwise.

I saw the police confrontation in Meron, brutal.

Not a single cop broke up the concert.

Who sacrificed what?

Elfrida

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 4:51 am
Everyone sacrificed a normal way of life for two and a half months. Everyone - including chilonim - sacrificed Pesach with their families and their normal Chol HaMoed activities. No one was allowed to visit kevarim on Yom HaZikaron. The entire country was under strict lockdown for Yom HaAtzma'ut. This may have had more impact on chilonim, where it is a more important part of their life, but wasn't much fun for the chareidim either.

The entire area of Meron was closed on Lag b'Omer. This chiefly affected dati'im, who would make the effort to go. Anyone who broke the law, and tried to go was prepared for confrontation with price and the army. They knew exactly what they were getting into when they decided to break the law and go anyway.

The concert had a skewed permit under the name of a protest. It shouldn't have happened, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Shuls are open, under certain restrictions, and Yom Yerushalayim parades were allowed almost as normal. Right now anyone who wants to go the Kotel for vatikin on Shavuot has been invited to enter their names in a lottery for the available places.

As many concessions as possible are now being allowed to enable all sectors of the community to continue life as close as possible to normal.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:52 am
Elfrida wrote:
The concert had a skewed permit under the name of a protest. It shouldn't have happened, but two wrongs don't make a right.

I wasn't addressing the right or wrong factor. I was questioning the lack of law enforcement at the concert. The Meron invaders were 1300, the concert was 5000!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics