Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Amtrak from NYC, New York to Orlando, FL
Previous  1  2

amother
White

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone here gone with Amtrak from New York to Orlando Florida? Is it doable with children? Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Disclaimer: I am not asking your opinion if I should go or not. I will report your post If you turns this into a bashing threat.

I've seen Amish families with kids make a trip (this was to the west though, not florida so it was a longer trip) and they were fine. Check if the train has an observation car and you can bring games and books for the kids to play. Also check if the train has wifi and if so you can bring a laptop or tablet and they can be occupied. If there is no wifi then you can bring a portable dvd player with dvds. Dont forget to bring headphones. Check if they have kosher food or bring your own. It could be a really fun trip even if you sleep in the coach (or you can get a sleeper room and have the kids take turns sleeping in it for a change of pace).

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:22 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
We drive with adult kids and it’s great
We take the car and then the train ride is overnight so everybody goes to sleep
Make sure to arrive early enough if you want to put your car on and you need to make reservations for every member plus your car
It’s not cheap, but equal to hotel and car rental rental
You arrive early morning and have to wait around an hour until you get your car off and then it’s a short drive
For the kids the inside is similar to being on a plane but since it’s overnight hopefully they should sleep most if the way

Interesting that you can take your car on an Amtrak.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting that you can take your car on an Amtrak.

Theres an amtrak auto train that goes from virgina to sanford which is about 45 min from orlando.

We did that with little kids and worked out amazing..

challahchallah

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I thought Amtraks are more spacious than regular trains. I was thinking a tablecloth on floor with activities like play doh etc... of course it’s not to compare to a house. 18 hours in a car isn’t either. She compared it to driving not flying.

If you get the largest of the sleeper cars (I think it’s called “Family Bedroom” you could probably put a small tablecloth on the floor there and play. You certainly won’t have room in coach.

forgetit

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 12:54 am
OP, it depends a lot on your kids' personality and ages. I never did NY-Florida, but I've done somewhat shorter routes as a kid, and routes by myself without kids. Its way more pleasant than a plane. It wasn't half as crowded, and triple the leg room. There's also a dining car for you to spread your legs even more, and if you take a sleeper, you have more than you can ever need Wink

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 1:00 am
I never took it but drove down a couple days ago. It was a very nice but long ride. I went straight but my parents left in the morning like 5-6am and stopped in a hotel around 7-8 pm in Georgia and drove the rest the next day.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 1:01 am
I have driven once with young kids. It was torture, hope to never repeat it. I've also gone on similar trains with my kids. They were fine for a couple of hours and then got super antsy. I can't imagine doing it without being able to control when we stop for breaks, and having strangers around.

Be aware that Florida is in its hot, humid, rainy season now. There are tons of mosquitoes.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 1:02 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Theres an amtrak auto train that goes from virgina to sanford which is about 45 min from orlando.

We did that with little kids and worked out amazing..

That’s genius.
You don’t drive, and you get to have your car with you once you arrive.
Love the idea!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries