Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Referral to movers in Israel & other questions

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:52 am
Hi, I'm on a tight budget, and would appreciate:

(1) Referrals to affordable, careful movers to move just a few pieces of furniture, clothing, etc. from family apt. to new apt. Thanks!

(2) Also, does anyone know the max. amount of luggage permitted onto planes these days?
What are the latest rules insofar as dimensions and weight for luggage & carry-on luggage?

(3) Also what do people usually do first, set up a bank account, or a phone plan?
And what ID is needed for each, if I'm a returning resident?

(4) I'm trying to recall the org. of English-speaking haredim, which helps people navigate Israeli bureacracy. I need help with the returning-resident form

Thanks!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 1:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi, I'm on a tight budget, and would appreciate:

(1) Referrals to affordable, careful movers to move just a few pieces of furniture, clothing, etc. from family apt. to new apt. Thanks!

(2) Also, does anyone know the max. amount of luggage permitted onto planes these days?
What are the latest rules insofar as dimensions and weight for luggage & carry-on luggage?

(3) Also what do people usually do first, set up a bank account, or a phone plan?
And what ID is needed for each, if I'm a returning resident?

(4) I'm trying to recall the org. of English-speaking haredim, which helps people navigate Israeli bureacracy. I need help with the returning-resident form

Thanks!

Chaim vchesed?

essie14

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:54 am
You can buy a temp sim card at the airport when you arrive to tide you over til you get a proper plan.
To open a bank account you will need you TZ and if you're an American citizen, also your SS card and maybe passport?
We just bring all documents wherever we go Smile

Shuly

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:13 am
1. Do not use any mover who charges by the hour. They will rip you off. Have movers come and give you a written, signed estimate in advance.

2. Luggage - depends on the airline and your ticket

3. We did Phone plan, but I don't think it really makes a difference. If you want an American DSL phone number in Israel, you can order it before you come and get Internet as soon as you get here. For ID, bring your passport, Driver's License, Teudat Zehut (if you have). You will need your marriage license and Birth Certificates for other things in Israel so make sure you have them.

4. ChaimV'chessed Also, check out https://newcomersguide.co.il/info-guides/

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 5:24 am
Linen, thanks for reminding me - that's exactly what I sought!

essie14, thanks too! (I assume a soon-to-expire US drivers license wouldn't do any good? Expires Sept.2020, and I don't think it pays to renew it. I wouldn't own a car anyway. Just been using it as ID at banks.

Shuly, thanks, your info is helpful! Note I actually prefer Non-wireless. These past years, in the U.S., for a fairly-affordable approx. $29/month I've been using Optimum Cable's Basic Internet (with Non-wireless Router, and ARRIS Modem). As well as MagicJack phone-jack which hitches on the Optimum connection.
If I'd bring the Modem and MagicJack-device to Israel, plus all ethernets & cables, would HOT-Cable set me up the same way & same cost/month?
...alternatively, what would it be like to try to navigate the net via a TAG type phone such as Alcatel (or Nuu?) I'm not averse to a level of filtering, but I prefer:
(a) affordability such as less than $30/month (b) user-friendly (c) my fingers & brain shouldn't get electroshocked & migrained.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 5:39 am
if you are using a mover in the beit shemesh area, pm me and I'll tell you who Not to use

amother
Linen

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 5:46 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
if you are using a mover in the beit shemesh area, pm me and I'll tell you who Not to use

I’m not sure how it works with hilchos LH, but the best way would probably be if she asks you if a specific mover is recommended and you say yes/no

grace413

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:03 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"
essie14, thanks too! (I assume a soon-to-expire US drivers license wouldn't do any good? Expires Sept.2020, and I don't think it pays to renew it. I wouldn't own a car anyway. Just been using it as ID at banks.

.[/quote]

IMHO it does pay to renew the drivers license. It also pays to transfer it to an Israeli license. You never know what the future will bring; you may go back to the States for a visit, you may want to rent a car. It's a shame to cut off options. Check out the current regulations for switching a foreign license to Israeli.

Shuly

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:43 am
Definitely renew the Driver's License!
If you can show proof that you had a Driver's Licence in America for 5 years, you can get an Israeli Driver's License without having to take any tests. This saves you a ton of money and is a very valuable ID even if you don't have a car.

Shuly

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Linen, thanks for reminding me - that's exactly what I sought!

Shuly, thanks, your info is helpful! Note I actually prefer Non-wireless. These past years, in the U.S., for a fairly-affordable approx. $29/month I've been using Optimum Cable's Basic Internet (with Non-wireless Router, and ARRIS Modem). As well as MagicJack phone-jack which hitches on the Optimum connection.
If I'd bring the Modem and MagicJack-device to Israel, plus all ethernets & cables, would HOT-Cable set me up the same way & same cost/month?
...alternatively, what would it be like to try to navigate the net via a TAG type phone such as Alcatel (or Nuu?) I'm not averse to a level of filtering, but I prefer:
(a) affordability such as less than $30/month (b) user-friendly (c) my fingers & brain shouldn't get electroshocked & migrained.

As far as I know an American router will not help you here. Bezeq or HOT have their own routers.
I've heard of people using Majic Jack here but heard it wasn't great quality.

essie14

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 7:29 am
The driver's license doesn't prove citizenship so it's not a valid ID here in Israel but as the others have said, renew it before you leave the states because you will need it to get an Israeli license. Once you have the Israeli license, you can make it an international license for like 20 shekel and you can use it to rent a car anywhere in the world.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 5:08 am
Shuly wrote:
As far as I know an American router will not help you here. Bezeq or HOT have their own routers.
I've heard of people using Majic Jack here but heard it wasn't great quality.

Thanks! And to everyone else as well, for your feedback.

I just came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC-rN486TvM
So even though it's WiFi, at least one can attach an external mouse/keyboard, which can perhaps distance the radiation a bit? I guess that's a pipedream...

* Lets say I'd get a 4G smartphone (which one do you have?) to set up the above, what would it cost per month for phone plus Internet?

* And can TAG Israel install moderate filtration in 4G smartphones which still enables YouTube?

* ...Alternatively, how do the DSL vs. Hot-Cable options compare, insofar as monthly-cost & how they're setup (any purchases needed in prep. for setup)?

As for drivers license, OK, you guys convinced me! The DMV site is clear as mud, and when I clicked the Continue button, they were conducting their scheduled maintenance. Had to repeat my data input four times due to their site constantly looping back, effectively deleting all my entries repeatedly. What's with these gov't programmers? They also had a trick Q about whether I wore corrective lenses during eye-exam. How should I remember since Aug.? So I answered No and I just hope it was the correct answer, otherwise I'm "criminal". After hours of sweat [sigh] it's done. The fee was over $80, and I got my receipt and confirm. no. It should arrive in two weeks. Ironically due to Covid, I think they scurried to change their silly rules, to enable people to do it online, because months ago, my senator's office (after inquiring on my behalf), said I'd have to go there in person & bring my current license, passport & birth-certif. I was dreading the long trip & wait at the DMV along with all the red tape, so pushed it off.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 12:10 am
Oh well, I guess I'll open a new topic.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 3:44 am

Last edited by amother on Tue, Aug 17 2021, 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 31 2020, 10:38 pm
lovelymother wrote:
Hot mobile is a good and reliable company good sales atc' ...
I'm very satisfied .

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions