Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Has anyone had the free kosher DOE meals?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

MommyM

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:14 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I don’t know where you are, but the meal I got didn’t have CY milk.

I didn't respond earlier as I didn't pick up an actual meal, but had seen pictures. Today I got from Brooklyn and while the milk does not officially say Cholov Yisroel on the carton, the milk was Golden Flow, which is a brand that only makes Cholov Yisroel milk. Is that the same company you got in Far Rockaway?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:19 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I went to the public school on east 22nd in midwood on fri, mon and tues and breakfast and lunch was the same every day. Breakfast was a small muffin, small plain yogurt, apple and milk. Lunch was a small whole wheat roll, small container of chummus, three cherry tomatoes, apple and milk. Does anyone know if the menu is going to change or is going to be the same every day? I'm not complaining at all, just asking for information.

I went to that location yesterday. One breakfast had cereal and milk and the other had granola and yogurt so it seems like there are options for breakfast. The lunches all had a 3.5 oz container of chummus with a tiny roll and four grape tomatoes so it seems like there were no other options for lunch (even though someone mentioned that they were giving tuna which was not at this location). The breakfasts were good but the lunch was more like a snack and not sufficient. Hope they change it or have the DOE change vendors who will give more of a variety of substantial food instead of trying to get rid of their stockpile of chummus. Please let us know if anything changes.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:39 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Hi! I went today to a local public school and this was breakfast, thanks. My question is about the croissants, they don’t have any label.. how did u know that they are kosher?

So this wouldn’t work for everyone, but the ladies who do the meals where I go (not the specifically kosher ones) are very sweet, and my friends and I have showed them numerous times what the kosher symbols are. There was no hechsher on the bag, but it was on the box. For me, this works, because I know she knows what to look for. For other people, it wouldn’t work because they need to see it themselves.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:42 pm
MommyM wrote:
I didn't respond earlier as I didn't pick up an actual meal, but had seen pictures. Today I got from Brooklyn and while the milk does not officially say Cholov Yisroel on the carton, the milk was Golden Flow, which is a brand that only makes Cholov Yisroel milk. Is that the same company you got in Far Rockaway?

I only got the specifically kosher meals once, but I believe it is golden flow.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:47 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
So this wouldn’t work for everyone, but the ladies who do the meals where I go (not the specifically kosher ones) are very sweet, and my friends and I have showed them numerous times what the kosher symbols are. There was no hechsher on the bag, but it was on the box. For me, this works, because I know she knows what to look for. For other people, it wouldn’t work because they need to see it themselves.

ok thanks anyways.. I dont feel comfortable relying on something that I never saw.. but now I feel bad that I took the meals and have to throw the croissants out..

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:49 pm
also fyi my husband said that today someone at the ps said its going to be a three lunch meal rotation.. today was an egg salad cup, yesterday was tuna, and Monday was hummus.. so I assume that will be the rotation.. all have a whole wheat roll, 3 cherry tomatoes, milk, and an apple.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:35 pm
Yesterday 18/47 had small container tuna for lunch

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:45 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
also fyi my husband said that today someone at the ps said its going to be a three lunch meal rotation.. today was an egg salad cup, yesterday was tuna, and Monday was hummus.. so I assume that will be the rotation.. all have a whole wheat roll, 3 cherry tomatoes, milk, and an apple.

We got tuna today by 18 &47. We got 3 grape tomatoes today, but other days there were 5-8 in each portion.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:56 pm
At 18/47 you can ask for 2 portions for adults

cb0

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:30 pm
Comparing the DOE kosher to non-kosher options, the DOE non-kosher menu is listed on the DOE website. It's a 5-day menu, if I recall for M-F. Other than the chicken sandwich I don't think it is appreciably better than the kosher option.

For both the kosher and non-kosher options, anyone coming can take three meals for every adult and child in their household. This means one breakfast per person plus two lunches per person. There is no separate dinner package; just a second lunch per day. This is the same for both kosher and non-kosher.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:34 pm
Does anyone know if there's any issue with picking up free grab-and-go meals from multiple Yeshivas? In my area several Yeshivas and Beis Yaakovs are offering the free food program, either daily or weekly, funded by the city.

As an aside, I've found that the Yeshiva food program generally has much better food than the kosher DOE program at the public schools.

Goldie613

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:08 am
Has anyone heard if this program is continuing for the rest of the school year only, or if anyone is continuing it in the summer as well? I'm assuming the public schools might, as I think they usually have free breakfast programs for kids, but I haven't heard anything official.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Does anyone know if there's any issue with picking up free grab-and-go meals from multiple Yeshivas? In my area several Yeshivas and Beis Yaakovs are offering the free food program, either daily or weekly, funded by the city.

As an aside, I've found that the Yeshiva food program generally has much better food than the kosher DOE program at the public schools.

It seems like a family may only pick up from one school on any given day. Schools that offer food only once or twice a week are giving for a few days at a time, so you can't go to School A on Monday, get 3 days worth of food, and then go to School B on Tuesday. At least that's what I heard from one school administrator. Some schools are making the families register and sign that they are getting from only one program for that day. I assume the DOE food is under different jurisdiction and this does not apply.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

Yes our yeshiva program just yesterday wrote that "by you accepting this food, you are confirming that you are not going to a different site"

So, this means I cant go to another yeshiva BUT I STILL GO TO PUBLIC SCHOOL TO GET FOR THE ADULTS IN MY HOUSEHOLD (the yeshiva is just for kids)

And we asked the woman at the public school, can we take for supper for our kids as we get at a different site for the kids......she said " take how many you need"
And I use all the food except I'm getting double apples and milk but they dont let us say no to the milk and just give you an entire amount....

ALSO the yeshiva stopped giving cereal this Monday and seems to be giving less at different times...

So I'm assuming the yeshiva since they are getting reimbursed from the state, they cant get paid if family X is already getting food from another yeshiva bec they dont want to pay twice....but public school is giving for adults...

Goldie613

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:49 am
Anyone know if any kosher sites are open on Monday (Memorial Day)? The website only says that some sites are open, but doesn't give details.

Figure if I can't get an answer here I"ll try calling 311 later today...

Thanks

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:41 am
Is it still the same menu- 3 day rotation between eggs. Tune. Chummas?

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:47 pm
Got this message today - anyone know if this means that the public school stuff would be off limits, or just stuff from other yeshivas? As someone above mentioned, the public schools don't seem to mind people taking extra - as long as they have enough to go around - so that part doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm just trying to figure out what I'd be agreeing to.

The yeshiva food is better quality, but not everyone in my house is young enough to qualify. The public school stuff is more basic - so my crew gets bored of it faster - but I can get a lot more of that and it mostly all goes. If I can technically only take from one category I will need to figure the best way to juggle things :-(

See below - TIA

"Families are permitted to receive free packages that are distributed by the school district.
However, you may not receive food packages from other participating school in the
National School Lunch Program.
By signing on this form you are accepting these conditions."

Goldie613

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:51 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Is it still the same menu- 3 day rotation between eggs. Tune. Chummas?

Was still the case when I was there last week. Also two versions of breakfast - one is cereal, milk, yogurt, fruit the other is muffin, juice, yogurt, fruit.

Sometimes more than 1 variation is available the same day, no idea why...shortage of one? Overstock from previous day of another?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:54 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Got this message today - anyone know if this means that the public school stuff would be off limits, or just stuff from other yeshivas? As someone above mentioned, the public schools don't seem to mind people taking extra - as long as they have enough to go around - so that part doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm just trying to figure out what I'd be agreeing to.

The yeshiva food is better quality, but not everyone in my house is young enough to qualify. The public school stuff is more basic - so my crew gets bored of it faster - but I can get a lot more of that and it mostly all goes. If I can technically only take from one category I will need to figure the best way to juggle things :-(

See below - TIA

"Families are permitted to receive free packages that are distributed by the school district.
However, you may not receive food packages from other participating school in the
National School Lunch Program.
By signing on this form you are accepting these conditions."

Not referring to public school meals. You may take from one yeshiva and also from a public school.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics