Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Bariatric Surgery -Sleeve- everything I shld know
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:20 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
My husband almost died after his sleeve. He started leaking gastric acid into his abdomen and went septic the next week. We’ve had years of health issues to deal with stemming from this one surgery.

Another reason to do the lapband rather.
I don't know why the doctors push the sleeve. It has so much more health risks.

From losing too much weight too fast to leaking acid to actually cutting a peice off. It's scary.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 2:24 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Please say which surgery, in which country this happened and what the complication was.
Ty

I have 5 siblings and siblings in law that did the sleeve and 11 that did the lap band.

The ones that did the lap band are keeping their weight off for years and the ones on the sleeve had their weight off for a year or two.

I also have 1 sibling that did the stapling 20 years ago. He is still keeping it off.

I wonder what the difference between a stapling and a sleeve is.

For myself I will do the band when I go for it. I want to be able to do it at my pace and the band is the only tool that gives you the option.

Thanks for that. That was very informative for me. I want to do the band but many people were telling me to to the sleeve. I do not want to cut away part of my stomach. I know a few people who got the band over a decade ago and they they are successfully maintaining their weight loss.

When I went to the bariatric surgeon he did pressure me a bit to do the sleeve. When I asked what are the advantages of the sleeve he said that there's no vomiting with it and no adjustments to make, but he then encouraged me to stick with the lapband since it was what I wanted to go with originally. I also originally thought he suggested the sleeve because of the money involved, but I found out that the sleeve and the lapband surgeries cost pretty much the same. Whatever the reason they push the sleeve, I'm not cutting away part of my stomach...

amother
Peach

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:34 pm
If it will be work anyway to keep the weight off than why not do.OA?
I have been in a form of OA for almost 17 years. I lost over 90 pounds and the binging and cravings are gone! it took alot of hard work to create new habits but the healthy body and peace from constant thinking of food are amazing. I appreciate the peace of mind as much as I appreciate fitting into normal clothes and looking thin. Put in the work and you WILL get the rewards. it will become easy. trust the process. Hashem gave you a perfect body, why let a surgeon alter hashems perfection ? you can do.it

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 3:56 pm
Ask yourself how you’re going to stay on plan when you can’t control yourself now. That was why I never did it and the bariatric team agreed. You’re welcome to search my posts to see how not doing it worked out for me. I wish I’d known when I was your age what would work for me. Bh after 45 years of eating disorder I worked it out.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, May 22 2020, 6:58 pm
I did the sleeve 9 years ago.
Was also mid 20s, 250 lbs.

Its given me a new lease on life.

I've given birth to three children since, and I am maintaining a 100 lb + loss. Yes, it takes discipline.

Bu without it, I would have been a hopeless mess, and there's no way in the world I could've done it otherwise.

I don't have time to elaborate more now, but if the thread is still around next week, feel free to ask me anything.

Whatever you do I wish you success

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:51 pm
I got my band 7 years ago. I lost 100 lbs and waver around 15 lbs up or down. I only got the band because I was self-pay even though I was morbidly obese, I didn’t meet my insurance criteria. It cost about $15,000 total and all my follow up visits have been covered by insurance. I went to Dr. Marc Bessler at Columbia and I’d have to say his team is one of the best. Weight loss surgery is not a miracle and if you are a binge eater, this doesn’t solve that issue. I will tell you that if you do binge with the band, food will get stuck and you will vomit. It is incredibly uncomfortable and if it happens enough the band can slip. You have to change your mindset about food and be honest with yourself if you are doing this for life or just a temporary fix. It’s really just a tool and no matter what surgery you get, there can be complications. You need to invest time in therapy and explore your eating and where it’s coming from. Fortunately, I am no longer obsessed with food. I never binge but I also don’t diet. Food has become nourishment but that is because of weight loss surgery because I don’t have the crazy bottomless pit appetite that I used to! Explore your options and make sure your surgeon has a solid team with good bedside manner. Hatzlacha on your journey

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:59 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Most people start regaining weight after 5 years and then are back to their heavy weight by 6-7 years. At that point some people get a band or give up. Talk to people who have their sleeve over 7-8 years ago, not people who had it done 3-4 years.
I had the band done 12 years ago when sleeves were not so popular and think it’s an amazing tool. Unlike the sleeve the band can be easily loosened or tightened when needed. Loosened in pregnancy, for pesach or prior to going on vacation, tightened for an upcoming wedding or the summer!
The drs are pushing the sleeve because they get paid more and insurance doesn’t want to pay for adjustments, but you should discuss the band. I know people who recently did it in Mexico but that means that the dr who did the surgery cannot monitor you for any complications. And which dr wants to oversee another drs surgery. It’s not so simple getting follow up care and yearly monitoring.
Would like to hear opinion from anybody that had the sleeve (or band) done over 7 years ago.

I don’t think doctors get paid more for the sleeve. And it’s not so simple with the band. Mine slipped pretty soon after my surgery and pretty soon after I had it fixed. I gained it all back plus. I had to loosen it all the way but still throw up randomly at times. Now I want to have the sleeve but first need my band out.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 2:17 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I did the sleeve 9 years ago.
Was also mid 20s, 250 lbs.

Its given me a new lease on life.

I've given birth to three children since, and I am maintaining a 100 lb + loss. Yes, it takes discipline.

Bu without it, I would have been a hopeless mess, and there's no way in the world I could've done it otherwise.

I don't have time to elaborate more now, but if the thread is still around next week, feel free to ask me anything.

Whatever you do I wish you success

I would love to know more.
I have been dieting all my years, not being able to keep to anything long term and gaining back soon after losing. I feel like doing to sleeve would be admitting to ultimate failure. I also don’t know many young women who did it, most people I know who did it are men or older women.
I dream of the day I am no longer identified by my weight but cannot fathom how that will happen. I need a strong push to go ahead with this, or I’m onto my next diet.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would love to know more.
I have been dieting all my years, not being able to keep to anything long term and gaining back soon after losing. I feel like doing to sleeve would be admitting to ultimate failure. I also don’t know many young women who did it, most people I know who did it are men or older women.
I dream of the day I am no longer identified by my weight but cannot fathom how that will happen. I need a strong push to go ahead with this, or I’m onto my next diet.

Any weight loss surgery is a tool to curb your hunger. You’ll still have to make good food choices.
And I posted about my failure with the band. I don’t think it’s by definition a bad surgery. I kept off 80lbs off easily for years. I can’t say I regret it. But I think it’s slipped again and I need another tool. I want to do OA simultaneously to get over my food issues. Now I’m about 50lbs more than when I had surgery.

In terms of the differences in surgery—the band goes around your stomach and is tightened to limit how much you can eat. It takes frequent care. It’s not so simple to open and close for yuntif or vacation. Also, if you have it for a reason why would you want to give up the tool to gain weight? If you swallow too big a piece or eat too much you will throw up.
The sleeve removes part of the stomach so it’s not reversible. It creates a smaller stomach. In Theory you shouldn’t be throwing up because nothing is stopping the food from going down. However, I do hear from others that they throw up sometimes. I don’t know how it compares to the band. There were times I’d go for days not being able to swallow my own saliva. I don’t think that happens with the sleeve.
Bypass removes part of your stomach and part of intestines so you can’t eat as much and you also don’t absorb all that you eat. It’s more drastic. With cutting the stomach you increase risk and you also increase risk with cutting intestines.
Gallstones are a risk with any rapid weight loss with or without surgery. Loose skin depends a lot on genetics and how long you were overweight for. Some get it just from pregnancy. Others bounce right back. Surgery can’t be blamed. Weight loss can.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 1:11 pm
If you are considering surgery, you also should know that there is pretty drastic pre-op preparations. If you are a binge eater, this may be difficult for you. When you are overweight there is a chance your liver is enlarged so in order to decrease the risk of the surgeon possibly cutting your liver, you have to do a pre-op diet to shrink it. In my case I had two straight weeks of protein shakes and raw or steamed vegetables. No dressing, sauce... nothing. So you are basically starving for two weeks but the thing is, you cannot cheat this time because if the surgeon goes in and see an enlarged liver, he can’t operate. This step is your first commitment to making the surgery work for you. Just thought I’d put that out there!

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 2:43 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Most people start regaining weight after 5 years and then are back to their heavy weight by 6-7 years. At that point some people get a band or give up. Talk to people who have their sleeve over 7-8 years ago, not people who had it done 3-4 years.
I had the band done 12 years ago when sleeves were not so popular and think it’s an amazing tool. Unlike the sleeve the band can be easily loosened or tightened when needed. Loosened in pregnancy, for pesach or prior to going on vacation, tightened for an upcoming wedding or the summer!
The drs are pushing the sleeve because they get paid more and insurance doesn’t want to pay for adjustments, but you should discuss the band. I know people who recently did it in Mexico but that means that the dr who did the surgery cannot monitor you for any complications. And which dr wants to oversee another drs surgery. It’s not so simple getting follow up care and yearly monitoring.
Would like to hear opinion from anybody that had the sleeve (or band) done over 7 years ago.

Most people I know who did the band gained all the weight back and much more. It’s just too easY to loosen the band and then start eating as much as before, the point of all these surgeries is, you still have to have the discipline to eat much less and much more healthy after the surgery...so if you have that discipline, why can’t you just apply it beforehand, do a diet and not surgery.

Also every woman I know who had the surgery still has very, very heavy calves (Sometimes arms too, but always calves) which never get thinner and it’s a telltale sign they had surgery

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 4:45 am
I’ve tried some dieting (again) over the past few months and am again leaning towards the sleeve. Some questions to amothers who have been there, done that:

Can it cause any issues getting pregnant?
What can I do to avoid loose skin?
For those of you who have done it recently Which dr (N.Y./nj) would you recommend? And anyone know if COVID is still postponing appointments on this?
What else do I need to know in terms of excersize, nutrition, etc?

Anything is a help!

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 5:10 am
My DH had it done almost 11 years ago. It was life changing. He was very thin for the first nine years after the surgery and in the past 1-2 years he started gaining a bit of weight, but like normal weight gain - he’s not on the road to becoming obese again and he’s able to be physically active, which he never could have done before the surgery. The surgery was great for him because his main problem was quantitates, he would eat and eat and was never full. For the first years after the surgery he was full after very small quantities of food. He’d eat pretty much everything he wanted but only a little bit. Now (again almost 11 years later), he basically eats like a regular person, but he’s not super conscientious about eating healthy so he’s gaining a bit.
When he decided to go for it we figured that if he was able to keep the weight off for five years it would be worth it. Now close to eleven years later and he’s maintaining a healthy weight - it was so worth it. Especially, when I see his father struggling with many health issues related to the weight gain.
I know it doesn’t work well for everyone, but you should hear success stories too.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:32 am
I've watched someone with band eating/drinking junk because meat/veg wouldn't go down.
Her diet consisted of juice, Coke, chocolate, milkshake, ice cream etc.
She did gain back.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:46 am
I did the band 12 years ago and it was the best decision ever. Unlike the sleeve it is easily adjustable. Can loosen before vacation or pesach and tighten before a simcha.

ellacoe

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 11:23 am
[quote="amother [ Ruby ]"]Another reason to do the lapband rather.
I don't know why the doctors push the sleeve. It has so much more health risks.

Not all doctors do, but the insurance pushes it because there are less follow up appointments. (thus cheaper for them).

ellacoe

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 11:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ve tried some dieting (again) over the past few months and am again leaning towards the sleeve. Some questions to amothers who have been there, done that:

Can it cause any issues getting pregnant?
What can I do to avoid loose skin?
For those of you who have done it recently Which dr (N.Y./nj) would you recommend? And anyone know if COVID is still postponing appointments on this?
What else do I need to know in terms of excersize, nutrition, etc?

Anything is a help!

The band or the sleeve are tools. They are powerful tools but the don't work alone. Along with exercise, and smart choices they will help you achieve your weight loss goals. Just like many things, it works as hard you make it work. There are people who don't loose weight and or gain all the weight back, but that is often because they aren't eating properly and without the band or sleeve they would probably weigh even more.

I would highly recommend Dr Fiedling or Dr Ren at NYU. They will give you the time and attention and go over the differences between the band and the sleeve and help you decide. They have gone back to operating post Covid.

In terms of pregnancy they can better tell you, but I do know many people who have gotten pregnant with the band. They will also give you guidelines for nutrition and exercise. It is about making smart choices, that doesn't change Smile It is also about eating very very slowly.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:03 pm
My mom was 2 years on OA, lost beautifully, but once she cheated, she lost it. Gained back everything, plus tax. She went for the lap band, lost beautifully as well, but she can barely eat anything normal and vomits every single day. When she tightens its too tight, and when she loosens, even a tiny bit, it's too loose. She's refusing to redo it. She didn't think she gained back everything, but quite much. She said, had She known this all beforehand, she wouldn't have done it. She doesn't recommend it. While this is her story, many lost and kept it down successfully.

The sleeve isn't a quick fix, you still need to watch, but it's a huge helping too for those really struggling. I have 2 family members who did it, they couldn't be more happy. 2 friends did it, both around 6 months pp, although they're not slim slim, they're definitely half their weight, and on regrets. I did hear its recommended to redo every 5 or so years.

In general, with all of these procedures, if people had a bad experience, doesn't mean you'll have. But it's good to hear from others.

Hatzlacha on whatever you end up doing.

ETA-whichever you do, losing excessive weight in a short time, results in saggy skin, and exercise to make it firm is a must!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:27 pm
Bumping this one more time as I’m actually going ahead with this next week iyh!! If you have experience with this and can tell me anything I can benefit of knowing, especially on how to minimize sagging skin and any other details worth knowing, please share!

Einikel

Post Mon, Oct 12 2020, 5:31 pm
It should be with hatzlacha and go smoothly!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise