Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many outdoor trash cans for family of 7

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 2:25 pm
Curious if others produce as much garbage as us. We have 2 large green bins and 1 blue for recycle. We are a family of 7 and I find that the recycle is never enough room and the 2 large bins are always filled to capacity with 2 bags that I need to put in after the truck comes. Is this normal. Should I get 2 recycling bins and 1 additional green regular garbage can?

ddmom

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 2:44 pm
Who cares how many other ppl have?
It clearly isn't working for you if you consistently don't have enough room!
Do yourself a favor, just get another can!
(Yom tov coming up=more garbage!)

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 3:05 pm
We got 2 super large bins with wheels and attached covers. Matching recycling. They are great.

meme6

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 3:07 pm
I have the huge garbage cans and I need two!

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 3:08 pm
We have the same as everyone given by the building lol

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 3:09 pm
Where do you live? Our trash cans in Brooklyn were a lot smaller than the ones the town requires here in NJ.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 3:18 pm
Lakewood

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 3:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lakewood

Yeah those cans are big!
But we're a family of 5 and 2 is just barely enough. Especially over yomtov.
Dh wheels the cans to the curb so I'm not sure about recycling I never really looked.
If you see you don't have enough definitely get more cans.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 3:59 pm
Thanks - I just wonder if I have more garbage than others. We only use plastic for milchigs. Do people crush milk/water bottles or just throw them in as is? What about cereal boxes. Those take up space but if smashed less so. I just wonder whawt otheres do. It seems like I fill a 13 gallon kitchen garbage 3 times a day! What am I doing wrong?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 4:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks - I just wonder if I have more garbage than others. We only use plastic for milchigs. Do people crush milk/water bottles or just throw them in as is? What about cereal boxes. Those take up space but if smashed less so. I just wonder whawt otheres do. It seems like I fill a 13 gallon kitchen garbage 3 times a day! What am I doing wrong?

why do u worry so much what others do?! I feel bad for u

lucky14

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 4:08 pm
We usually put out two big ones on garbage day and 2 on recycle day and we are a family of 4.
We don't crush plastic containers.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 4:09 pm
Nothing. You are doing nothing wrong . We are three adults and fill up about one 13 gallon Bag a day. So if you are 7 , then 3, 13 Gallon bags is normal. And don’t forget your children are home now , so more garbage.
Yes , crushing plastic, and other items, And taping up boxes and magazines, makes it more compact.
Also how often is pickup? We have twice a week for all garbage and once a week for recycling. And if it’s a legal holiday, forget it, everything is double.

lucky14

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 4:09 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

I understand being curious about what others do vs. what I do. I don't think that's a reason to feel bad for OP. I doubt she is awake all night stressing about this.

SingALong

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 4:14 pm
2 family house. 5 adults, 9 kids, we have 4 large green cans, 2 yellow recycling. We’re usually overflowing by the time pickup happens.

Blessing1

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 5:56 pm
ddmom wrote:
Who cares how many other ppl have?
It clearly isn't working for you if you consistently don't have enough room!
Do yourself a favor, just get another can!
(Yom tov coming up=more garbage!)

Why does this question warrant such a snappy response? How hard is it to answer like a normal person?
OP, how often is garbage pickup? We're a family of 5 with garbage pickup 2 times a week and we use 2 trash cans.

Blessing1

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

I feel bad for you that a hopefully normal adult can't answer a question normally. What is wrong with people?
It's a very normal question.

zaq

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 5:58 pm
Breaking down boxes and crushing containers would help reduce the volume of your trash and the number of bags you use. Don't crumple paper; fold and stack it. Better yet, pack as much stacked paper as you can into a box or big envelope and then recycle the whole thing.

Look for products with less packaging. Buy in bulk where possible and avoid using disposables. Buy one big package rather than several smaller ones. you can then divvy up the contents into reusable bags or containers once you get home. Avoid single-serve packages. Reuse packaging for other things where you can. Cereal box liners and bread bags make good sandwich bags or freezer wrapping for loaf-style cakes. Collect those clear plastic containers that baked goods or other sweets come in, wash them, remove the labels and use them for MM containers. A blow-dryer helps the labels come off more easily, but if bits of stickers remain, just put a Happy Purim or "to Family Levy from Family Chusid" sticker over the remnants. Save tissue paper from shirts, dry cleaners and gifts and use them to wrap dishes to put away for Pesach or to make cushiony nests for the items you pack in your MM containers.

Also, as long as your trash bags are strong and you don't have anything sharp in the trash, don't just throw stuff in and let it float down any old way--push down on the accumulated stuff so it settles more compactly and doesn't waste space in the bag.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If you use dishes that aren't thrown out - you will create less garbage. Also - water doesn't need to be purchased in bottles.

I'm saying this since you asked what you are doing wrong. The more you purchase that needs to be thrown out - the more garbage you will produce.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:42 pm
Family of 11 and we're only starting to think about adding a second garbage can. We also have 1 recycling but do leave out additional boxes not in the can.

We use real dishes as much as possible so I guess that helps.

happy chick

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 6:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks - I just wonder if I have more garbage than others. We only use plastic for milchigs. Do people crush milk/water bottles or just throw them in as is? What about cereal boxes. Those take up space but if smashed less so. I juost wonder whawt otheres do. It seems like I fill a 13 gallon kitchen garbage 3 times a day! What am I doing wrong?

I will push down the garbage at least twice or three times a day. You'd be surprised how much empty space there is in there.
And we use plastic 3 times a day, not to mention snacks, drinks, and what-not in between.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics