Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Maybe dumb question but why does tomchei shabbos need money?
Previous  1  2

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:11 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I'm going to go anonymous for obvious reasons.
We were doing ok before Coronavirus. Just making it. Not eligible for food stamps or any other programs, but without extra money. Paying quite a bit for tuition, health insurance, rent, etc.
I'm self employed and I haven't seen a penny of unemployment yet.
School meals give us milk, fruit, cheese, juice and pizza bagels, knishes.
Tomchei Shabbos gave us chicken for Pesach and again Shavuos. Chopped meat, gefilte fish, pasta, potatoes, onions, carrots.
The school meals wouldn't cover a fraction of supper, Shabbos for a family.

Hugs.
We are in the same position as you (waiting for unemployment) except one of us is still working. We're living off one salary and the stimulus check. Still paying full tuition but pushed off all possible bills for now even though it means dealing with the consequences later. The unemployment system is srsly messed up.

mig100

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't mean to be a rude person but those with children, struggling to put money on the table for kids - we are getting tons of free food from the schools! If someone is truly struggling there is more than enough being given out - no?

You get enough food for shabbos and supper? It seems like it's basically. Breakfast and lunch

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:24 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Hugs.
We are in the same position as you (waiting for unemployment) except one of us is still working. We're living off one salary and the stimulus check. Still paying full tuition but pushed off all possible bills for now even though it means dealing with the consequences later. The unemployment system is srsly messed up.

Hugs back to you.
I'm ok.
The day I called Tomchei Shabbos a few weeks before Pesach, I cried.
But they've been so respectful and mentschlich.
My kids don't know we're getting anything.
I have 6 kids, with allergies and picky eaters. The case of chicken and case of chicken cutlets was so appreciated. We finished the last chicken when I cooked Shabbos, and then we got another case before Shabbos before Shavuos.
The lunch boxes, while appreciated tremendously, are breakfast, lunch, and snacky foods that I supplement with. (1 pizza bagel is not lunch for a 15 year old boy).
The weekend box from the public school came with 2 small potato kugels, 2 lbs cholent, 12 chicken nuggets, and snacks fruit and milk.
That cannot feed my family for Shabbos.

There tends to be an attitude that poor people should just eat whatever you throw in front of them.
But the Tomchei Shabbos representative told me that 75% of the calls he's getting are from people who are middle class. No food stamps, no WIC, no HUD, no Jersey are, and now no income while unemployment takes its merry time.
And he said, the Shavuos calls were worse. People who by now have burned through their savings. They didn't call Pesach, they went into savings. But 9/10 weeks later, the savings are gone, credit cards are maxed out, and people are desperate.

watergirl

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:32 pm
I keep seeing people say the free school meals cant feed their families/isn’t enough for their family. It’s not meant to be. These meals are made to accommodate the given budget and the fact that many communities have been creative with meal planning so it can stretch to shabbos food is amazing! But again, was never meant to feed anyone other than the kids.

Which is why, again, tomchei shabbos is so much more needed now than ever. People need help who never needed it before. So while BH kids get 2-3 meals a day, older kids and adults also need help now.

Those who can, please open your wallets. Thank you!!

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, May 23 2020, 11:36 pm
watergirl wrote:
I keep seeing people say the free school meals cant feed their families/isn’t enough for their family. It’s not meant to be. These meals are made to accommodate the given budget and the fact that many communities have been creative with meal planning so it can stretch to shabbos food is amazing! But again, was never meant to feed anyone other than the kids.

Which is why, again, tomchei shabbos is so much more needed now than ever. People need help who never needed it before. So while BH kids get 2-3 meals a day, older kids and adults also need help now.

Those who can, please open your wallets. Thank you!!

Most people who get the meals are greatful and supplement.
But like you said, it does not in any way take the place of fully feeding ones family which is why Tomchei Shabbos is critical.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 12:28 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Hugs back to you.
I'm ok.
The day I called Tomchei Shabbos a few weeks before Pesach, I cried.
But they've been so respectful and mentschlich.
My kids don't know we're getting anything.
I have 6 kids, with allergies and picky eaters. The case of chicken and case of chicken cutlets was so appreciated. We finished the last chicken when I cooked Shabbos, and then we got another case before Shabbos before Shavuos.
The lunch boxes, while appreciated tremendously, are breakfast, lunch, and snacky foods that I supplement with. (1 pizza bagel is not lunch for a 15 year old boy).
The weekend box from the public school came with 2 small potato kugels, 2 lbs cholent, 12 chicken nuggets, and snacks fruit and milk.
That cannot feed my family for Shabbos.

There tends to be an attitude that poor people should just eat whatever you throw in front of them.
But the Tomchei Shabbos representative told me that 75% of the calls he's getting are from people who are middle class. No food stamps, no WIC, no HUD, no Jersey are, and now no income while unemployment takes its merry time.
And he said, the Shavuos calls were worse. People who by now have burned through their savings. They didn't call Pesach, they went into savings. But 9/10 weeks later, the savings are gone, credit cards are maxed out, and people are desperate.

Yup my husband was making 150k. Now on unemployment. By some miracle, he applied right at the beginning and the payments started right away. Otherwise we wouldn’t be living. I’ve been waiting for mine for a month and I’m not even sure I’ll qualify. We haven’t yet paid the mortgage but we have savings if needed. Iyh he will find a new job before we need to use the savings or call tomchei shabbos. But I can absolutely see why people who were previously comfortable now need tzedaka.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 8:46 pm
Maybe this is also a dumb question, but how do you contact tomchei shabbos as someone who needs. Their website looks like it is for donations only. I’ve never had to do this in my life. I still haven’t gotten a cent of unemployment.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am truly asking out of ignorance/being dumb. but we are getting free food from the schools and anyone on food stamps is getting extra money. I'm confused why 1000s more people will need tomchei shabbos.

Can someone explain.

Again, not judging - truly curious.

I know someone who gets Tomchei Shabbos all the time (not just now with corona virus).

They are a couple who are not, um. fully capable. I don't really know how else to describe them. Both of them had learning disabilities and other issues as well (mental, emotional). They have kids. They are so dysfunctional that she told me they didn't get the stimulus check because they haven't gotten around to filing taxes for a few years now.

They don't have food stamps. They probably never got around to it. Plus I think they have irrational fears of getting government aid. Maybe they will make a mistake and get arrested, like others in Lakewood.

Both of them working at minimal wages.

At least this way there's food for the kids.

You can't imagine what goes on by some people they help.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:49 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I don’t know where you live but kosher food (free from school) is NOT available in all areas. I do NOT live oot but it’s not available in my neighborhood. Thank Gd I don’t need handouts but I’m just saying, be lucky that your community has this.

Also I had covid early on and needed food from tomchei Shabbos not because I didn’t have money but because I couldn’t cook: I was so so sick.

Im not sure how tomchei shabbos helps in such a situation. They send raw chicken, raw potatoes etc.. not ready cooked food.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:49 pm
OP I’m in my 40s, with teens and school age kids. Both dh and I work good professional jobs. We would in no way qualify for food stamps. Overnight my income went to zero. You must be young and not realize how expensive life gets later on. Tomchei Shabbos is needed for all the families who were financially ok and bezras Hashem will be again, but who right now are suddenly struggling to keep their heads above water.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:58 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Maybe this is also a dumb question, but how do you contact tomchei shabbos as someone who needs. Their website looks like it is for donations only. I’ve never had to do this in my life. I still haven’t gotten a cent of unemployment.

Call them on the phone.
Hatzlacha!!

Cmon be nice

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:18 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Call them on the phone.
Hatzlacha!!

732-905-7136
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries