Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Daughter still didnt begin menstruating
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:52 pm
My DD turned 13 over a month ago. no signs of a period on the horizon. should I be worried?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:53 pm
No. Lots of girls dont start until 14/15

giselle

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:54 pm
13 is not that old. I wouldn’t worry. But you can always speak to your doctor if you need more reassurance.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:54 pm
I and a lot of my family were around 14 when we started. No need to worry.

hodeez

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:56 pm
I got mine at 14, and now I have 5 kids bh. nothing to worry about yet

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:56 pm
I was 16 when I got my first period.
Perfectly ok, I have 6 beautiful children bh.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 9:58 pm
thank you all for your replies. started getting paranoid that maybe its connected to the fact thay she takes melatonin almost every night (albeit a very small dosage)

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:06 pm
No reason to worry. When I was 14 and still no period, my mom panicked and dragged me around to doctors and for a million tests. It was an awful experience and I developed medical anxiety from all of it. guess what? I got my period eventually, and while my cycles are irregular and I do have mild PCOS, I BH have two children and will have more IYH.

Please please relax about it. If you need to, speak privately to a doctor or therapist about it, but do not pass any of your anxieties on to your daughter.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:14 pm
I was expecting you to say she was at least 16, and you were worried.

I got mine at just over 13, and my impression was that this was pretty average. Please don't worry!

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:19 pm
yup, I was 14. we were also slightly anxious, but everything was fine bh

Frumme

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:26 pm
Does she have other signs of puberty, e.g. breast buds or hair down there? They usually appear 2-3 years before period onset (among other bodily changes).

Look up "stages of puberty." I think it might help calm your worries. Your DD is probably just a late bloomer.

nchr

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:31 pm
No. You can discuss it with your child's pediatrician, but I wouldn't be concerned until 16...

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:36 pm
I got my period at 16. Hope my daughters will be the same. Till 16 you have nothing to worry about.

womanwithaplan

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 10:46 pm
Got my period at 16, and since then they run almost like clockwork bh. (I'm expecting my 4th now bh)
Btw, this does run in my family, the aunts on my father's side also didn't get their period till very late. Knowing this, my mom was less worried and was ok just waiting it out.

I did hear about melatonin possibly being able to disrupt a girl's hormonal system if taken on a regular basis (there's not enough research done to be able to prove or disprove this afaik). You might wanna try weaning her off it just in case. Hatzlacha!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:18 pm
I got mine at 16 and 8 months.
(I already had my licence and was driving!)
Even then it was very irregular.
Some months it didn’t come at all and some months I was just staining for a few days.

I’m married close to twenty years, have close to ten kids, bli ayin hara, all close in ages. All natural, No interventions ever.
Looking back I was lucky. I barely had any periods in my life. Some of my friends were miserable every month since ten years old.

Btw Dr Grossman writes in her book that the norm is between ages 12-16 but some get it a bit earlier or later.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My DD turned 13 over a month ago. no signs of a period on the horizon. should I be worried?

I didn’t begin menstruating until I was almost 15. My oldest DD didn’t get hers until after her 15th birthday. Is she skinny? It has a lot to do with body weight.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, May 24 2020, 11:22 pm
My daughter gotnit really early a few months b4 her 10th bday. Feel so bad for my lil girl. Growing up so fast

amother
Brown

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 6:43 am
I got mine at 15. My mom was anxious because the other women in the family got at 12 or 13, but I was just fine and b"h have 3 children.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 6:46 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I got mine at 15. My mom was anxious because the other women in the family got at 12 or 13, but I was just fine and b"h have 3 children.

Wanted to add: it was very irregular for years, but I even got an ultrasound of my uterus and ovaries and blood work done when I was 18 and everything was normal. My pregnancies and deliveries were normal, and after my first pregnancy my period FINALLY got regular. But the irregularity didn't do any harm.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 25 2020, 6:50 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Wanted to add: it was very irregular for years, but I even got an ultrasound of my uterus and ovaries and blood work done when I was 18 and everything was normal. My pregnancies and deliveries were normal, and after my first pregnancy my period FINALLY got regular. But the irregularity didn't do any harm.

Me too.
I Also went for ultrasound as girl and they said all is normal, and also became more regular after having kids. (after finished nursing. But two times I went straight into pregnancy while nursing a 9-10-11 month old with no period at all).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children